Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nonottufts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2016
Since Apple is going all in on this PC-replacement product framing, I was interested to see how well the lightning to usb 3 camera adapter played with accessories. Obviously, this is for much more than just importing pictures from your camera.

In Yahoo's review of the iPad Pro, there was some discussion of the capabilities of the accessory.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/ipad-pro-97-inch-review-a-dazzling-tablet-but-125142059.html

As it turns out, a lot of useful USB devices don’t work except when the iPad is plugged into power. And here’s the weirder part: Some of them don’t work on the 9.7-inch iPad except when you’re using the larger 12.9-inch iPad’s wall adapter!

I tried a bunch of different USB devices. I got some of them to work: Ethernet, a MIDI musical keyboard, a flash drive containing a DCIM (camera pictures) folder, and an Apple keyboard.

But some required power, and some required the larger iPad’s power adapter.

Curious as to whether anyone has played around with this thing. I'm assuming by the "larger" power adapter, he means the 12W, but maybe he means the newer 29W? Also, would be curious to know if this thing plays nicely with non-Apple alternatives, like a non-Apple USB to Ethernet adapter. USB hubs? If anyone has any success/failures, would like to know what seems to work, and what doesn't. Would be great if I could leave the PC at home when I go on trips, but don't have to worry about hotel internet (sometimes Ethernet is the only option), or how to put something on a usb stick when network transfer isn't possible (not sure there is software to do this—I use iKlips, which is great but expensive) or even use a nice mechanical keyboard at the office if I wanted to get a docking setup.

So I'm hoping we can get a list of Works/Doesn't Work accessories & setups.

Cascades42

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
UK
USB Sticks and drives seem to be out, a lot of them don't work and then even if they do/did you have to find an app that allows you to access them. Personally I bought an iStick and a Verbatim Wireless MediaShare. Neither are perfect, but the first allows me to directly connect a drive to my iPad, the second is a wireless hotspot system. The Ethernet option is wonderful, though I long ago started carrying a HooToo travel router with me (which can also share a drive). I'm looking forward to seeing what options are truly possible and useful.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Since Apple is going all in on this PC-replacement product framing, I was interested to see how well the lightning to usb 3 camera adapter played with accessories. Obviously, this is for much more than just importing pictures from your camera.

In Yahoo's review of the iPad Pro, there was some discussion of the capabilities of the accessory.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/ipad-pro-97-inch-review-a-dazzling-tablet-but-125142059.html

As it turns out, a lot of useful USB devices don’t work except when the iPad is plugged into power. And here’s the weirder part: Some of them don’t work on the 9.7-inch iPad except when you’re using the larger 12.9-inch iPad’s wall adapter!

I tried a bunch of different USB devices. I got some of them to work: Ethernet, a MIDI musical keyboard, a flash drive containing a DCIM (camera pictures) folder, and an Apple keyboard.

But some required power, and some required the larger iPad’s power adapter.

Curious as to whether anyone has played around with this thing. I'm assuming by the "larger" power adapter, he means the 12W, but maybe he means the newer 29W? Also, would be curious to know if this thing plays nicely with non-Apple alternatives, like a non-Apple USB to Ethernet adapter. USB hubs? If anyone has any success/failures, would like to know what seems to work, and what doesn't. Would be great if I could leave the PC at home when I go on trips, but don't have to worry about hotel internet (sometimes Ethernet is the only option), or how to put something on a usb stick when network transfer isn't possible (not sure there is software to do this—I use iKlips, which is great but expensive) or even use a nice mechanical keyboard at the office if I wanted to get a docking setup.

So I'm hoping we can get a list of Works/Doesn't Work accessories & setups.

I actually got a combo USB - Ethernet adapter working with 3 devices plugged into the USB ports plus the ethernet working. Just using the 10W adapter that came with my 9.7" pro. Interesting he mentioned the 12" iPad's adapter allowing more devices, because at first I couldn't get *anything* to work until I found out I was using what is probably a knockoff iPad adapter (looks just like it but the labeling is different) - or could possibly just be an old partially defective one or something. Anyway as soon as I switched to the 10W one that came with it everything i tried worked.

see https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ake-your-ipad-more-pro.1966747/#post-22783397

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Is this thread for 9.7 iPad pro only or all iPad Pros?

Really, any iOS device with a lightning port should work- I certainly haven't tried them but the adapter is listed as compatible. Works on my 6s. The only difference is the 12" Pro should hopefully get better device throughput (gigabit speeds from Ethernet, etc) since it has USB 3 internally.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Really, any iOS device with a lightning port should work- I certainly haven't tried them but the adapter is listed as compatible. Works on my 6s. The only difference is the 12" Pro should hopefully get better device throughput (gigabit speeds from Ethernet, etc) since it has USB 3 internally.
Thanks.
I only asked because I didn't want to muddle the OPs thread if they were only concerned with comments for iPad 9.7 response.

In any case I have the 12x version and I have successfully done the following (with official Apple 10 watt power supply):
1: Used the Surface Pro USB ethernet dongle to connect to internet
2: Used full sized Dell keyboard.

I have also tried connecting a Wacom USB drawing pad but Procreate nor Notes sees the device.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Thanks.
I only asked because I didn't want to muddle the OPs thread if they were only concerned with comments for iPad 9.7 response.

In any case I have the 12x version and I have successfully done the following (with official Apple 10 watt power supply):
1: Used the Surface Pro USB ethernet dongle to connect to internet
2: Used full sized Dell keyboard.

I have also tried connecting a Wacom USB drawing pad but Procreate nor Notes sees the device.

Ahh, nice. Yeah for the Wacom to work would be an impossible long shot :) Unless Apple were using Wacom tech and drivers internally, which of course they aren't. But I wonder if there might be some room for some extremely curated USB drivers in the future... Though I guess the major stuff is already covered.

Reactions: sinsin07

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
How about moving video files off of a USB stick to the 12.9 IPP?
Did brief test on 12.9 iPad using a standard USB flash drive:
1: Requires external power
2: Once external power is added iOS automatically opens import function in Photos
However it appears you move files to the flash drive but not the other way using photos.​
3: VLC does not see Flash Drive (I have not investigated VLC fully)
4: The iOS video app did not see flash drive, or at least I do not see an option to view files from flash drive

Do you have a particular app you are interested in moving video to?

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Wanted to import videos off a USB stick to edit on the IPP using iMovie.
I am not an expert on iMovie however I loaded MP4, AVI and a MOV file on the flash drive.
I do not see a way in iMovie to point to the flash drive.
Maybe someone with more expertise can chime in.

carsonmd

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2010
The IPP is supposed to pull videos off the usb stick and place them into photos. From there, iMovie can access them. In the same way it pulls photos off a camera. May only be theory crafting though.

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
What baffles me is that, as soon as this revamped v3 adapter (because there is the 2.0 version and the 1.0 version before it) was released the media went crazy about how you could now connect stuff to the iPad.

Truth is, v1, v2 and the camera connection kit (30-pin) have worked for years for connectivity.
I even connected MIDI keyboards to the iPhone 4s when it was jailbroken and with the right tweak, and used the CCK for quite a bit with the iPad 3, to also connect midi keyboards.
The trick back then though, was using a powered USB Hub in the middle, for power hungry devices.

Anyway, about videos, yes, they should import seamlessly just like photos, however I'm not sure of the right way to get an USB stick to show up as a camera. MAYBE, and if nobody tries I will over the weekend (but with the v2 adapter, don't have the v3 yet as it's not available outside the apple store yet), if you re-create the right folder structure you may be able to trick the iPad to believe it's a camera, and then let it import stuff, or maybe it's stupid and won't work as the device won't identify itself as a camera, so, game over (but chances are you can trick it with the right folder structure, just like the SD adapter works, in which, you only use a simple SD card, not a camera).

nonottufts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2016
So I tried running this USB/ethernet hub:

http://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Giga...psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

I hooked up a USB 3.0 cable from a 12W adapter/LUSB3CA (lightnight to usb 3 camera adapter). At first it recognized a thumb drive I plugged into the hub and opened photos. No go on the ethernet, however. Tried unplugging it and plugging it back in, and the power light on the adapter would blink on very quickly before going off for 3x time, blink again, etc. So I'm guessing it was a power issue.

This ethernet adapter plugged directly into the LUSB3CA worked flawlessly:

http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/computer-speakers-accessories/NS-PU98635.html
[doublepost=1462208747][/doublepost]UPDATE: just tried the Aukey ethernet hub/adapter again. It worked—for two websites, and then my ipad restarted itself. LOL.

italodance

Suspended
Jun 7, 2017
Tehran
I tried a USB flash drive as well as connected it to a power source by lightning cable, I can see the Import folder on my Photos app for few seconds then disappeared, My device is iPad Pro 12.9 second generation, Did i do something wrong? I watched several videos about connected USB sticks via this method on Youtube and all were success.

italodance

Suspended
Jun 7, 2017
Tehran
lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter-4.jpg

PNY Flash Drive?????!!!!

shm

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
Poland
Hi everyone,

just did some testing with the USB 3-lightning powered adapter with focus on image import:
observed transfer speeds for image import (various raw files, 30-50 mb each)

iPhone SE: 20-23 mb/s
iPad 2017: 20-23 mb/s

iPad Pro 10.5: 50 mb/s
iPad Pro 12,9 (2017): 50 mb/s

all devices with iOS 11
all devices had at least 30 GB of free space pre-import
import batch of images was 2GB and then 5 GB
speeds were exactly the same for direct camera connection vs Kingston USB3 card reader.
The card reader required the power cable to be attached to the adapter (works with a 2A powerbank as well)

Card used: CF Sandisk Extreme Pro 160 - tested at 120 - 140 mb/s sustained transfers speeds with the same reader connected to a macbook or pc with USB3 and ssd.

Initial conclusion: very much disappointed at the results, as the claimed "USB 3" speed is not really what I expected from a "PRO" device. It also means that importing two 32 GB cards to an iPad will probably take more than half an hour instead of a few minutes it actually should if it truly was USB3 speed.

Could you guys share the transfer speeds you get from your USB3 iPads?
It may be that I'm doing sth wrong, hence the slower than expected speeds - so it would be great to have some more data to compare

best,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.