Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRiddler1982

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
Hi all,

Since macOS Ventura 13.1 I am seeing enormous memory consumption using Adobe Lightroom Classic 12.1 release. If I keep the app open for a few hours my RAM and swap is getting filled up until Lightroom Classic crashes (see attached screenshots of memory usage).

Does anybody of you have similar issues? I have googled for the problem but didn't find any related posts about that.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 17.27.55.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 17.27.55.png
    165.4 KB · Views: 312
  • Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 19.43.22.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 19.43.22.png
    144.6 KB · Views: 139
  • Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 19.45.24.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 19.45.24.png
    563 KB · Views: 130

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Hi all,

Since macOS Ventura 13.1 I am seeing enormous memory consumption using Adobe Lightroom Classic 12.1 release. If I keep the app open for a few hours my RAM and swap is getting filled up until Lightroom Classic crashes (see attached screenshots of memory usage).

Does anybody of you have similar issues? I have googled for the problem but didn't find any related posts about that.

Thanks!
Yes, I had this too. I my case, it was a permission error. When installing it my network security software (little snitch) stopped it from installing some files and that did exactly this.

To fix mine, I did an uninstall and re-install again and it fixed it.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Oh, I have LittleSnitch running. Ok, I will reinstall Lightroom Classic with LittleSnitch stopped. Thanks for the tipp.
Hope it works but yeah the install connects to the Adobe server for something and I missed Little snitch blocking it. I was pulling my hair out for days then found an obscure message in the log files that adobes fix for was to reinstall.

TheRiddler1982

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
I have pi-hole running as well, I haven't seen any queries blocked on that side. I keep an eye open and Lightroom running over the night. Do you know where I can find the logs? /var/log(s) has nothing on that matter.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I have pi-hole running as well, I haven't seen any queries blocked on that side. I keep an eye open and Lightroom running over the night. Do you know where I can find the logs? /var/log(s) has nothing on that matter.
Just in the console messages and I turned on Lightroom install logging in preferences

If you search for Lightroom memory leak M1 there are more articles now.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
edub wrote:
"With all of the extraneous CC garbage removed, I'm not seeing that sort of gluttony."

Sounds good.
But...
Just how does one REMOVE all of the "extraneous CC garbage"...?

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
edub wrote:
"With all of the extraneous CC garbage removed, I'm not seeing that sort of gluttony."

Sounds good.
But...
Just how does one REMOVE all of the "extraneous CC garbage"...?
Open a chat with support and request a download link to the latest LrC 12 installer.

Tell them you want to run it w/o Creative Cloud and they will provide instructions on how to use the CC removal tool and reinstall LrC locally with no CC.

Reactions: hoodafoo

TheRiddler1982

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
So, uninstalling Lightroom Classic and re-installing it without LittleSnitch enabled, memory leak does not go away. So, I am stuck with the support of Adobe.

Any other ideas to get this issue fixed?

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I don't use LR, but is there a reason you have LR + LRC running together.
Just a thought, if you close LR does that make a difference (so just run LRC).

TheRiddler1982

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
The issue remains whether only one or both apps are fired up. Actually, both apps are open because for the same time (since the latest major releases of Adobe), syncing does not work properly. I can wait for hours and nothing happens. Lightroom Classic tells me that everything is synced whereas Lightroom does not believe that.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-01 at 16.56.44.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-01 at 16.56.44.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 79

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
The issue remains whether only one or both apps are fired up. Actually, both apps are open because for the same time (since the latest major releases of Adobe), syncing does not work properly. I can wait for hours and nothing happens. Lightroom Classic tells me that everything is synced whereas Lightroom does not believe that.
Go into preferences, go to the sync tab, hold down option and click the rebuild sync button that appears. Then restart Lightroom. Click to unpause sync and it should start again.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
So, uninstalling Lightroom Classic and re-installing it without LittleSnitch enabled, memory leak does not go away. So, I am stuck with the support of Adobe.

Any other ideas to get this issue fixed?

This one is another option…

TheRiddler1982

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
Go into preferences, go to the sync tab, hold down option and click the rebuild sync button that appears. Then restart Lightroom. Click to unpause sync and it should start again.
Thanks, didn't know that. I tried that and took nearly 12 hours to complete but it didn't solve the problem. Now I have even more images stuck with that message. Guess I wait for the next minor release update.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Thanks, didn't know that. I tried that and took nearly 12 hours to complete but it didn't solve the problem. Now I have even more images stuck with that message. Guess I wait for the next minor release update.

Wow I am being zero help sorry. These are things I have done to resolve the memory leak and sync issues.

I did some more (probably useless) reading around it. Now I have managed to make your issue worse. I feel obliged to keep trying.

Some people have reported that going to the desktop LRC and creating a virtual copy, then going to the original and resetting the edits, then copying the edit settings from the virtual copy back to the original seems to fix it sometimes. Others suggest a minor tweak of a setting will trigger a refresh of the settings sync.

Apparently this is a known issue dating back to 2018 and Adobe are yet to fix it. The good news is that it seems to be that the image itself is safe, just that the edit settings for some reason have not been synced properly.

Also, for a debug log for LRC, go to preferences, account and hold option and the log button should appear.

Last edited:

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
This post reminded me about Lightroom classic. I'm only a casual user but must admit I assumed it might of been discontinured as they seemed to be pushing Lightroom CC more a few years ago which is what I moved to.

So does it get it updated regularly and has the UI changed to the more modern looking Lightroom CC? I just went on adobes website and classic isn't on the main pages and seems to be buried on the photography section which is a shame.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
This post reminded me about Lightroom classic. I'm only a casual user but must admit I assumed it might of been discontinured as they seemed to be pushing Lightroom CC more a few years ago which is what I moved to.

So does it get it updated regularly and has the UI changed to the more modern looking Lightroom CC? I just went on adobes website and classic isn't on the main pages and seems to be buried on the photography section which is a shame.

Classic looks the same as it always did (to me at least). It is getting some pretty good new features and frequent updates still. I am wondering if Adobe realised that Lightroom CC wasn't being used as much as they would have liked and so Classic remains.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.