Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bhall110

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
I have been using the limit charging feature since it was available, I have noticed that my phone turns into a space heater once it reaches the 80% limit. I am using a magsafe charger which I know generates some heat while charging. Last night I turned off the limit and when I woke today my phone was cool to the touch and fully charged. Is anyone else experencing this?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Regular charging to 100% charges the battery to 100% then shuts off completely until the battery drops to about 96%, then tops it off again for another cycle. The charge indicator though will always just show 100%.

The limit to 80% charging likely provides a trickle charge to the battery constantly to keep it at 80%, with no rest period in between.

The heat may be coming from your wireless charger, not the phone battery

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I have been using the limit charging feature since it was available, I have noticed that my phone turns into a space heater once it reaches the 80% limit. I am using a magsafe charger which I know generates some heat while charging. Last night I turned off the limit and when I woke today my phone was cool to the touch and fully charged. Is anyone else experencing this?

‘Thanks for starting this thread.

‘Mine is doing the same, even with a 5 watt charger plugged in. i have never had a phone continue to heat up after charging was complete. If heat is bad for batteries, Apple has turned our phones into a toaster to kill our batteries. I only use about 20% of my battery everyday so when I plug my phone in at bed time it reaches the 80% in less than an hour. So why is my phone so warm in the morning when it has been fully charged for hours!!!

I have done chat and even called Apple and the techs give ridiculous excuses including me having a case on the phone. I have owned every iPhone since the 3G and never had one of the turn into a toaster after charging was complete! I have resorted to just charging for like 30 minutes at a time and no longer charging overnight.

it is the 80% charge limit that does this as if you turn it off, the phone is not even slightly warm in the morning. I have posted a bug report with Apple.

Last edited:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I use 80% charge limit with corded charging (5w brick) and my 15PM doesn't get noticeably warm at all. I plug it in before I go to sleep and unplug it in the AM.. A matter of fact, I've never had any of the heating issues some forum members have been experiencing since I received the phone day after launch.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Some are having the problem. It should not be happening. I have tried both 5 and 20 watt chargers and get the same results, warm.

Until now I have not had a warm phone in the morning.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Last night I turned the 80% limit off and my phone was room temp this am. Not even slightly warm.

hr10

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
I notice the same when I use MagSafe in the afternoon but doesn’t feel warm in the morning when charging via cable overnight

w_aldo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2018
Stockton-on-Tees, UK
Regular charging to 100% charges the battery to 100% then shuts off completely until the battery drops to about 96%, then tops it off again for another cycle. The charge indicator though will always just show 100%.

The limit to 80% charging likely provides a trickle charge to the battery constantly to keep it at 80%, with no rest period in between.

The heat may be coming from your wireless charger, not the phone battery
this is actually not true at all.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

w_aldo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2018
Stockton-on-Tees, UK
‘Thanks for starting this thread.

‘Mine is doing the same, even with a 5 watt charger plugged in. i have never had a phone continue to heat up after charging was complete. If heat is bad for batteries, Apple has turned our phones into a toaster to kill our batteries. I only use about 20% of my battery everyday so when I plug my phone in at bed time it reaches the 80% in less than an hour. So why is my phone so warm in the morning when it has been fully charged for hours!!!

I have done chat and even called Apple and the techs give ridiculous excuses including me having a case on the phone. I have owned every iPhone since the 3G and never had one of the turn into a toaster after charging was complete! I have resorted to just charging for like 30 minutes at a time and no longer charging overnight.

it is the 80% charge limit that does this as if you turn it off, the phone is not even slightly warm in the morning. I have posted a bug report with Apple.
Honestly this completely defeats the purpose of having the 80% limit, if the battery is going to be cooking itself.

I'm still on 17.0.3, and my phone is still cold at the 80% limit. Which iOS version are you running?

Reactions: Jackbequickly

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Honestly this completely defeats the purpose of having the 80% limit, if the battery is going to be cooking itself.

I'm still on 17.0.3, and my phone is still cold at the 80% limit. Which iOS version are you running?

Agreed on useless cooking . . .

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Do you still have this issue? Please can you let me know?
No. I finally allowed “significant locations” and it immediately did the 80% starting that night when I put it on charge. I did not want to activate this and wonder why it must be activated before the 80% charging will start! Just more information for sale! It has continued to do the 80% charging to this date. It is also not warm in the am when removing from the charger.

Last edited:

w_aldo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2018
Stockton-on-Tees, UK
No. I finally allowed “significant locations” and it immediately did the 80% starting that night when I put it on charge. I did not want to activate this and wonder why it must be activated before the 80% charging will start! Just more information for sale! It has continued to do the 80% charging to this date. It is also not warm in the am when removing from the charger.
80% limit doesn't need "significant locations" though right? I'm not sure why that would need to be enabled

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
80% limit doesn't need "significant locations" though right? I'm not sure why that would need to be enabled

‘it is required from what I understand. Mine did not work for months and months and when I activate “significant locations” it immediately started working. I do not know why either, just another company wanting more and more information on you and what you do

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.