Link aggregation with Thunderbolt->Ethernet adapter?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by radiogoober, Jun 11, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

2. macrumors member

What's the result of your testing? Does it support link aggregation with the internal ethernet port?

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, it does. It works fantastically. It took like three clicks in system preferences and a little configuration on my switch and it was good to go.

It works fine through reboots, but if I power off and on I have to reconfigure one setting in my switch. But besides that, I am completely pleased.

4. macrumors member

Very interesting.
    Is it a 802.3ad LAG?

5. macrumors member

Good news after the long wait. :)
    A pity, Apple didn't supply the adapter with a second Thunderbolt port for daisy-chaining more than one adapter. So for anything faster than 2 Gbit ethernet we have to wait again for the appearance of a Thunderbolt hub at least for all Macs with a single Thunderbolt port. :-/

6. macrumors 6502

Does anybody know if it supports Jumbo Frames? I imagine there would be an uproar from some creative professionals if it didn't. Me being one of them :)

7. macrumors newbie

Hi, which switch are you using?, thanks

8. macrumors member

Well you didn't ask me but I use either Netgear GS748TP or GS108T-200 and they work both after the initial configuration.

An I don't have to reconfigure anything after a reboot.

Pete

9. macrumors regular

you should be able to save the LAG in a switch configuration so that it wont need switch configuration after a reboot.

10. macrumors 6502a

Could you please post what system prefs you modified. Thanks.

11. macrumors newbie

Thanks to the OP, I just registered to ask whether it was possible to combine the internal ethernet with a Thunderbolt/Ethernet adapter. Gave it one last chance to turn up in a search and seems I used the correct search keywords and found this.

So thanks for answering my question I never got to ask.
    Now I only need to decide what to use, a dock or the single Thunderbolt/Ethernet adapter...