Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nate13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
Is there any way to link two comps together using firewire? Would make moving files back and forth easier...
:confused: :rolleyes:

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
nate13 said:
Is there any way to link two comps together using firewire? Would make moving files back and forth easier...
:confused: :rolleyes:

If your using Mac OS X.3 (Panther) on both Macs then yes you can. Its called IP over FireWire. On both Macs you'll have to add FireWire as a network port. To do this go to System Preferences/Networking then click on the pull down menu next to show. Go down to Network Port Configurations, then click on the new button. Under Port, select Built-in FireWire and then give it a name. Just to be easy I would just name it FireWire. While your using it I would drag the FireWire above all the other ports. This give FireWire more priority. While your in System Preferences, go to the Sharing System Preference and make sure File Sharing is turned on and if the FireWire is turned on, make sure its configured properly. I would just turn that off if you don't need it, if its not already off. Its off my default.

Connect the 2 Macs together with a FireWire cable and see if both get an IP address on the same subnet. Then both Macs should show up in the Network browsing section of Finder, or in Finder you could go to the Go menu and Connect to server. Put the IP address of the other Mac and the folder you want to connect to.

Note: If your not using Mac OS X.3 (Panther) you can use the developer version of IP over FireWire. Its on the Apple Developer Site. (http://www.apple.com/developer) You'll have to register as a developer to be able to download the software. Remember that the developer version off the Apple Website is a beta version and may not work correctly, or may cause conflicts. The version in Panther works just fine.

nate13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
thanx!

mklos said:
If your using Mac OS X.3 (Panther) on both Macs then yes you can. Its called IP over FireWire. On both Macs you'll have to add FireWire as a network port. To do this go to System Preferences/Networking then click on the pull down menu next to show. Go down to Network Port Configurations, then click on the new button. Under Port, select Built-in FireWire and then give it a name. Just to be easy I would just name it FireWire. While your using it I would drag the FireWire above all the other ports. This give FireWire more priority. While your in System Preferences, go to the Sharing System Preference and make sure File Sharing is turned on and if the FireWire is turned on, make sure its configured properly. I would just turn that off if you don't need it, if its not already off. Its off my default.

Connect the 2 Macs together with a FireWire cable and see if both get an IP address on the same subnet. Then both Macs should show up in the Network browsing section of Finder, or in Finder you could go to the Go menu and Connect to server. Put the IP address of the other Mac and the folder you want to connect to.

COOL!!
thanx

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
nate13 said:
COOL!!
thanx

Note that IP over FireWire only works with Macs as far as I know. So it will not work with a Mac connected to a PC using FireWire.

Just an FYI:

Did you know that you can connect 2 Macs together with regular patch cable through Ethernet? Newer Macs have ports that crosses the signal over when needed.

nate13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
Did you know that you can connect 2 Macs together with regular patch cable through Ethernet? Newer Macs have ports that crosses the signal over when needed
Yes, i just wanted to use my 2nd gen iPod firewire cable, but i think i lost it!! (no problem really though, i use a car charger and its my 2500 song radio... might be a prob for updating)

Edit: Found it!! yea! :D

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
mklos said:
Did you know that you can connect 2 Macs together with regular patch cable through Ethernet? Newer Macs have ports that crosses the signal over when needed.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42717 for the list of Macs that use auto-MDIX (technology that lets you use patch cable as a crossover substitute).
btw, many switches/routers/hubs use auto-mdix technology. I wouldnt be surprised if PCs have them too. This is not a strictly-Apple technology.

Nik_Doof

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
St Helens, UK
übergeek said:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42717 for the list of Macs that use auto-MDIX (technology that lets you use patch cable as a crossover substitute).
btw, many switches/routers/hubs use auto-mdix technology. I wouldnt be surprised if PCs have them too. This is not a strictly-Apple technology.

Most upper range network cards do this, 3COM 3c905 are a defo. Dont expect $10 realtek 3198 based network cards to support it though :)

Also most switches only support it on the uplink port, not on all ports.

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
Hook up both computers together and then shut one down. Then hold down "T" while it boots up and it will go into firewire target ~or sumthin mode.
Then theres a cool icon on the orignial computer and that is the other computers harddrive.
Hope this Helps
Ted

nate13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
the reason...

the reason i was presuing this is because transfering files through airport seems to take wayyyy to long. is there an app which solves this or something? i am seriously doubting apples claim for 54 Mbps. maybe the difference of airport cards? (extreem to regular??) but thanx anyway, the firewire thing works out great, and i might get a ethernet cable tonight and use the iPods for the iPod...

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Nik_Doof said:
Most upper range network cards do this, 3COM 3c905 are a defo. Dont expect $10 realtek 3198 based network cards to support it though :)
Also most switches only support it on the uplink port, not on all ports.
haha thanks that was it. i couldnt remember where and what network cards had it.

you can connect a mac and PC with fw: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031112091634533

And definately, doing file transfers from regular 802.11b to 802.11g will show noticeable slowing down of speed. and remember 54mbps is the theoretical maximum speed of 802.11g and its not apples fault if you cant ever reach that speed. :) :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.