Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simon Templar

macrumors member
Original poster
Quad-core Mac Pro, Lion, Original External iSight camera connected via FireWire 400 through the FireWire jack on the 23" Apple Cinema Display.

Audio and video work fine using iChat and making video clips using any/all apps.

However, using FaceTime.....incoming audio and video are fine, outgoing video is fine, but outgoing audio is missing. Nobody can hear me.

Sorry Apple...you guys can't doll this one up or spin it in any other direction......it's a bug pure and simple. Feel free to fix it whilst you're dealing with all the other problems that Lion has.

....sT

Caolan96

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Derry, Northern Ireland, UK
That's nice.

But I don't recall saying that it was.

...sT

Clearly you're annoyed, but honestly it's better to report a bug to Apple rather than express your anger on here. I would have understood you posting it on here if you had of said "Anyone else having this problem?" or "Anything I can do to fix this?", but instead you stated it, insisting that everyone read it and share your frustration. Soliber was just trying to help.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
FaceTime
Video calls require a built-in FaceTime camera, an iSight camera (built in or external), a USB video class (UVC) camera, or a FireWire DV camcorder; and a 128-Kbps upstream and downstream Internet connection. Making HD video calls requires a built-in FaceTime HD camera and a 1-Mbps upstream and downstream Internet connection. Receiving HD video calls requires a supported Intel-based Mac.

Seems like a clear bug to me. Try an external DV cam see if the issue is persistent with the firewire. Just to narrow it down.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
While I don't really want to help someone with that attitude, have you checked your audio settings? I had that problem, but I just had to fix the audio settings. Have you made sure you have a working microphone? I know it seems like a stupid question, but it has happened before. FaceTime works perfectly well for me.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
If you are "involuntarily speechless" over a bug like that I suggest you quit computing before you kill yourself.

JabbaII

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2007
Quad-core Mac Pro, Lion, Original External iSight camera connected via FireWire 400 through the FireWire jack on the 23" Apple Cinema Display.

Audio and video work fine using iChat and making video clips using any/all apps.

However, using FaceTime.....incoming audio and video are fine, outgoing video is fine, but outgoing audio is missing. Nobody can hear me.

Sorry Apple...you guys can't doll this one up or spin it in any other direction......it's a bug pure and simple. Feel free to fix it whilst you're dealing with all the other problems that Lion has.

....sT

Launch facetime
Go to menu -> video
Select the appropriate microphone device

I have found that facetime automatically switched to another audio capturing device for some reason (line in instead of internal microphone).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.