Lion & FaceTime......I'm involuntarily speechless

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Simon Templar, Jul 28, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Simon Templar

Quad-core Mac Pro, Lion, Original External iSight camera connected via FireWire 400 through the FireWire jack on the 23" Apple Cinema Display.

Audio and video work fine using iChat and making video clips using any/all apps.

However, using FaceTime.....incoming audio and video are fine, outgoing video is fine, but outgoing audio is missing. Nobody can hear me.

Sorry Apple...you guys can't doll this one up or spin it in any other direction......it's a bug pure and simple. Feel free to fix it whilst you're dealing with all the other problems that Lion has.

....sT

2. macrumors regular

I'm sorry, this is not the Apple bug report page :p
    Have you contacted them?

3. thread starter macrumors member

Simon Templar

That's nice.

But I don't recall saying that it was.

...sT

4. macrumors regular

Clearly you're annoyed, but honestly it's better to report a bug to Apple rather than express your anger on here. I would have understood you posting it on here if you had of said "Anyone else having this problem?" or "Anything I can do to fix this?", but instead you stated it, insisting that everyone read it and share your frustration. Soliber was just trying to help.

5. thread starter macrumors member

Simon Templar

You're right...the implied 'Has anyone found a way to work around this?' is surely lost on some people.

....sT

6. macrumors regular

A little courtesy doesn't go a miss on here sometimes, Bro.

7. macrumors 65816

Aldaris

FaceTime
    Video calls require a built-in FaceTime camera, an iSight camera (built in or external), a USB video class (UVC) camera, or a FireWire DV camcorder; and a 128-Kbps upstream and downstream Internet connection. Making HD video calls requires a built-in FaceTime HD camera and a 1-Mbps upstream and downstream Internet connection. Receiving HD video calls requires a supported Intel-based Mac.

Seems like a clear bug to me. Try an external DV cam see if the issue is persistent with the firewire. Just to narrow it down.

8. macrumors 6502a

vincebio

lol..yeah good luck finding your solution from help on here with that attitude...

9. macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

While I don't really want to help someone with that attitude, have you checked your audio settings? I had that problem, but I just had to fix the audio settings. Have you made sure you have a working microphone? I know it seems like a stupid question, but it has happened before. FaceTime works perfectly well for me.

10. macrumors newbie

same problem with facetime and external isight in macpro, nobody can hear me.

11. macrumors 6502a

If you are "involuntarily speechless" over a bug like that I suggest you quit computing before you kill yourself.

12. macrumors regular

Launch facetime
    Go to menu -> video
    Select the appropriate microphone device

I have found that facetime automatically switched to another audio capturing device for some reason (line in instead of internal microphone).