Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
Lion should really be on a disc, and this is why i think so:

Lets say something goes horribly wrong and i have to reinstall my OS. It happens to the best of us. Instead of popping in my Lion disc and installing like normal i'll have to...

1) Install Snow Leopard
2) update to the newest 1.6.X if my disc version is before the App Store was introduced.
3) Download Lion (~an hour depending on one's connection)
4) Install Lion
5) Update Lion

This could take a large part of your afternoon.

If there were a disc i'd simply:

1) Install Lion
2) Update Lion

and be done in an hour or so.

I suppose for people who have full Time-Machine backups they could just restore and keep going, but i find that backing up everything wastes space so i just back up personal files and media.

Anyway, thats just my thoughts on it, flame away.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I agree. Lion should be available on a disc. I assume it will and that app store only thing is a trial to see who is willing to go that way. I just reloaded OS X on a machine last week after upgrading the HDD and I would hate to have to through 3 "hoops" as you describe, though I should also mention that there are rumors that if you have use a Time Capsule as your router, updates are cached so the download time is drastically reduced.

Here's another scenario...

Do I shell out $29 per itunes account in my house or simply buy the family pack dvd and update them all?

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Well, there is a Recovery partition, which should be fine in most cases. The only issue is if you replace your hard drive.

Maybe it's possible to clone the Recovery partition onto a DVD. Seems like that would work.

harlem

macrumors member
May 28, 2010
the fact that lion is only going to be available trough the app store is just ridiculous and mega ignorant!

just to give a fact...i have some close friends in south America and know for a fact that for example they can't even get there hands on a credit card or visa card...due to policies for people with low income, how are the less fortunate going to get there hands on a copy of the new OS when they don't even are allowed access to the app store?

once again this proofs Apple is probably the most ignorant company around.

astroot

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
the fact that lion is only going to be available trough the app store is just ridiculous and mega ignorant!

just to give a fact...i have some close friends in south America and know for a fact that for example they can't even get there hands on a credit card or visa card...due to policies for people with low income, how are the less fortunate going to get there hands on a copy of the new OS when they don't even are allowed access to the app store?

once again this proofs Apple is probably the most ignorant company around.

How did they get a Mac in the first place?

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Another possibility is that Apple (or a 3rd party) provides a utility to burn your own recovery DVD.

Blipp

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
While I totally agree that Lion's availability being limited to the AppStore has some pretty strong negative implications we don't know the whole story yet. All Apple has to do is allow the downloading of the Lion .dmg from the AppStore so we can burn our own DVDs if we want and all of our concerns go away in one sweep.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
It sounds bad right now but I think we all need to wait for the full story before passing judgment. There may be an easy way to make some sort of recovery disk or something of that nature.

harlem

macrumors member
May 28, 2010
How did they get a Mac in the first place?

i was expecting these kind of intelligent reply's :rolleyes:

they buy them just like you do...Its not that those people are dead broke they do have money its just that in certain country's (same goes for allot of north african country's by the way) you need to have a certain amount of income or certain amount of savings money to get a credit card or visa.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
i was expecting these kind of intelligent reply's :rolleyes:

they buy them just like you do...Its not that those people are dead broke they do have money its just that in certain country's (same goes for allot of north african country's by the way) you need to have a certain amount of income or certain amount of savings money to get a credit card or visa.
Can't they use iTunes vouchers if they don't have a CC?

astroot

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
could be gifts, craigslist or a variety of other ways

What about people under 18 who cant have credit but do have jobs?

When I was young and needed a credit card for some purchase, I had my parents purchase it and I paid them back. Easy solution.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
What about people under 18 who cant have credit but do have jobs?

You don't need a credit card. I'm 17 and I have my Visa Electron in iTunes. I got it when I was like 13.

Even worse, if you have a snow leopard upgrade disc, you have to install leopard, upgrade to snow leopard. update snow leopard, d/l lion, update.

There is only one SL disc. The "upgrade" version can be used to perform a clean install.

stefan1975

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
i think this is just plain annoying, i am getting a vertex3 SSD next month and was waiting for lion to come out and do a fresh install.

i don't like doing upgrades at all and prefer clean OS installs anyway, but now i have to install snow leopard 10.6.x and then upgrade to 10.6.8 with the @#%$#$% app store integrated which i cannot disable even if wanted to and after that upgrade to lion.

that will take the better part of a day, leave unwanted traces of the old OS versions, fragmentation and i don't even know how my SSD will like that process, my OSX 10.6 disc doesn't even support TRIM so i am hoping at least that will fix itself during the install.

i just hope that there will be bootable downloads available after the release like the dev previews are now. I am more then willing to pay EUR 23 for lion but i *really* don't want the hassle of doing multiple upgrades.

any thoughts if this will be fixed?

stefan

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
Instead of popping in my Lion disc and installing like normal i'll have to...

1) Install Snow Leopard
2) update to the newest 1.6.X if my disc version is before the App Store was introduced.
3) Download Lion (~an hour depending on one's connection)
4) Install Lion
5) Update Lion

not to disagree with your point, but it's likely the downloaded version of lion will be the most up to date, eliminating the need to install then update.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
It should be on a disc because not everyone can download 4GB in less than 5 hours... I can, but can average Joe on a T-1ish line can? Or for that matter people on Satellite connections or slow DSL setups?

Not to mention people who are still on dial-up... although if you are on dial-up its time to upgrade (seriously)

RRmalvado

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
I am confident that Apple will have a utility to create a USB or DVD copy from the downloaded version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.