Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Yeah, the new Metal renderer is fast…

OpenGL:
ecdtoho.jpg

Metal:
2XPQZwQ.jpg

…but it has so many issues at the moment (object and texture pop-ins, missing reflections and other effects, weird mouse pointer shenanigans, the screen is occasionally bright pink,...) that I wouldn't bother with it.
I gave the game a try just for benchmarking. /geek
I haven't see any graphical issue with Metal, on the benchmarks at least.
The most relevant comparison between APIs should use settings where the GPU isn't the limiting factor. On my weak intel HD, this is only possible with the very lowest settings and resolution. In these conditions Metal is at least twice faster (97 min fps vs 43 min fps). I cannot use the average fps for a fair comparison since it's capped at 120 fps on Metal (limitation of core animation). The average fps of openGL is 70.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I gave the game a try just for benchmarking. /geek
I haven't see any graphical issue with Metal, on the benchmarks at least.
I can't rule out that it's hardware specific (I tested it on an AMD GPU), but all the issues I saw were noticeable during the benchmarks.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Just fire up the game and see for yourself. It's a drop-down on the graphics options screen. Both SC2 and Heroes. There's OpenGL 4.1, too, but it doesn't run nearly as well as Metal.

Not in Diablo yet, though.

Ahhhh, I gotcha. I just don't own any of the Starcraft games, so I couldn't check for myself.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
The Blizzard games are already in the list.
Dawn of War III is just released BTW.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Not that I have seen, but that'd be interesting as the game now also runs openGL on Linux. So, 4 APIs can be compared on the same game.
We also have Dawn of War III, which supports Vulkan on Linux, but not DX12. Four APIs can be compared as well.
[doublepost=1497078104][/doublepost]
Diablo 3 is still a 32-bit application.
At some point they will have to update the game as macOS will eventually drop support for 32-bit apps. The game probably uses the openGL 2.1 compatibility mode. Going 64 bits may impose moving to a more modern OpenGL or Metal, but I don't think that's the case.

Last edited:

Ferazel

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
I'd hope that if Valve is willing to invest time to be a partner for Steam VR for macOS that they'd write a Metal backend to their Source2 engine, but they don't seem to be using it a lot. Mainly just for DOTA2.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
I recall that Gabe said in a interview that they intend to use Source 2 for all their new projects. CS:GO will move to Source 2 this summer.
As for VR, it'd be great if we could get some demos running on macOS by the time of the high Sierra release. Valve has "the lab", which mostly runs on unity, so they could get it ported easily I suppose (except the demo(s) that use Source 2, I'm not sure if there is one beside Robot Repair).
There are other demos like TheBlu, which puts you under the sea and also uses Unity.

epca12

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
UK
I hadn't heard that Ark: survival evolved will be coming, and i'm really looking forward to seeing performance under metal on new hardware. It's a demanding game from what i've seen.

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Here you go, Windows version on the left, Mac on the right. Bottom right corner shows the graphics API. :)
(Oddly enough they don't mention it in their documentation)

Attachments

• u_sandbox2_metal.png
    u_sandbox2_metal.png
    228.3 KB · Views: 579
Reactions: jeanlain

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Come on, show some passion! :)
It isn't Feral's fault after all.
Well, it was Feral's decision to release three other games first (which I have zero to none interest in), despite Hitman having been announced far earlier. And I'm still waiting for Deus Ex MD and Dirt Rally (which both are also far more interesting to me than Total Warhammer, F1 2016 and DoW III).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.