Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Lite-On Semiconductor is to provide integrated chip components for the next-generation "iPhone 8" that will support fast wireless charging, according to a new report out today.

According to Chinese-language paper Commercial Times, the Taiwan-based maker of discrete and analog IC components will supply the bridge rectifiers necessary to maintain efficiency in wireless power transmission and reduce thermal issues.

iphone-8-800x297.jpg
iPhone 8 concept by Handy Abovergleich.
Lite-On Semi has reportedly obtained half of the orders for GPP bridge rectifiers that will be used in the wireless charger for the upcoming iPhones, the report cited industry sources as saying.
The semiconductor company's share price on the Taiwan Stock Exchange rallied to its daily 10 percent limit on the news. Lite-On Semi responded to the report by saying it does not comment on customers or orders.

Apple is said to be working on long-range wireless charging technology, which is superior to many existing wireless charging methods since it doesn't require devices to be as close to a charging source or mat.

Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn is reportedly testing wireless charging modules intended for use in this year's "10th anniversary iPhone", while recent comments by possible partner Energous suggest Apple could use the company's over-the-air charging technology in a forthcoming smartphone.

The iPhone 8 is expected to introduce a radical redesign of Apple's iconic handset, with a glass body and edge-to-edge OLED display that includes an integrated Touch ID fingerprint sensor and front-facing camera. Three models - one OLED, two standard - have also been rumored to feature in Apple's next-gen flagship range.

(Via DigiTimes.)

Article Link: Lite-On Semiconductor to Provide Wireless Charging Components for iPhone 8

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Yes but the competition is warming up—explosive things to come.
[doublepost=1484825314][/doublepost]Energous and possibly Lite-On with its Snap-On name ripoff and other fuel cell company are just pumping their stock. Going to predict this early: doesn't even charge from 15' away. Needs to be near or touching source. True wireless charging in something as tiny as a smartphone for the regular consumer still 3-7 years away.

Last edited:

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Well this will be a game changer for sure. It's going to be amazing to just walk into your house/room and your phone will start charging. Or get in your car and you don't have to plug anything on.
This is the missing key to going wireless.
Heck. The lightening connector will be dead in the next 2-3 years

Jax44

Contributor
Jul 24, 2010
Carmel, California
If Apple goes with this type of wireless charging, I think it will be a low grade charge. Just enough to keep up with moderate use while sitting on the couch.

With one charging unit in your living room, with an 8-10 foot charging range and one on your nightstand , you should be good at home.

keithtae

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2015
Sounds like a really good idea.

But i just cant imagine charging my phone everytime i walk into a place/room/area.

My wife's iPhone 6s battery is already struggling. With a wireless charging feature like this, will the battery even stay healthy over 6 months?

Its like plugging the phone in whenever you reach a place, imagine the damage done to the battery.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Its like plugging the phone in whenever you reach a place, imagine the damage done to the battery.

Absolutely none. 'Overcharging' is a myth. You do more damage to the battery if you constantly drain it and top it back up (full charge cycling).

Batteries will deplete naturally over time anyway; nothing you can really do to ebb the flow. So just use it as you normally would.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
These rumors are setting up a lot of people for disappointment if Apple doesn't deliver. I have been plugging in devices for what seems like forever. It would not be the end of my world if I have to plug in my iPhone in 2020 or 2025. This wireless charging dream is becoming a case of, they have to do it. All its tapping into is crisis cycle of AD/HD, where if you are not always connected, you don't know how to connect to the real world. Everything must be done or interacted through the screen and lens of your phone. This might not be Apple's attention, but sure is facilitating peoples insatiable appetite to always be connected and never turned off. Some us need to remember, these are tools, not life companions.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Yes but the competition is warming up—explosive things to come.
[doublepost=1484825314][/doublepost]Energous and possibly Lite-On with its Snap-On name ripoff and other fuel cell company are just pumping their stock. Going to predict this early: doesn't even charge from 15' away. Needs to be near or touching source. True wireless charging in something as tiny as a smartphone for the regular consumer still 3-7 years away.
Based on what exactly? I've been watching this technology develop since 2006, it's ready for cell phones (and frankly has been for a couple of years now).

Reactions: Oblivious.Robot

keithtae

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2015
Absolutely none. 'Overcharging' is a myth. You do more damage to the battery if you constantly drain it and top it back up (full charge cycling).

Batteries will deplete naturally over time anyway; nothing you can really do to ebb the flow. So just use it as you normally would.

I wasn't really talking about overcharging the battery, but rather talked about charge cycle of it.

The average life span of a lithium battery is between 400 to 500 charge cycles, everytime you plug in and out from your cable, it's consider 1 charge cycle regardless of the charge level.

If i travel in and out of my house over 5 times a day, my battery will have to go through 5 charges that day, and i dont think it will do any good to the battery for sure.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Based on what exactly? I've been watching this technology develop since 2006, it's ready for cell phones (and frankly has been for a couple of years now).

It's ready and all the phone makers are waiting to toy with you? Or perhaps they are waiting because it's not ready.

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
Well, one thing is for certain, it's going to be quite interesting to see the build up and announcement of this supposed iPhone 8.
Hella. I'd like to think Apple won't screw up the 10th Anniversary of iPhone, but I'm just now sure anymore these days. Could, really, go either way.
[doublepost=1484835286][/doublepost]Relatedly, that 8 concept is the best I've seen yet. It's clearly reminiscent of the 3G, which had an iconic design, but the concept is using modern ideas. Not bad!

https://www.handy-abovergleich.ch/iphone-8-concept/

Reactions: profets

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It's ready and all the phone makers are waiting to toy with you? Or perhaps they are waiting because it's not ready.
They're waiting because they are not ready. It takes a lot of testing to release such a technology in your own product on the scale that Samsung or Apple produces. The actual components and technology have been on the market for more than two years.

You understand how tech manufacturing works right?

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
On the one hand, this is wonderful news for the iPhone 8, wireless charging and quality suppliers.

On the other... "half the orders." Here comes another OCD-driven, unnecessary -gate of complaints for which supplier you received.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Sounds like a really good idea.

But i just cant imagine charging my phone everytime i walk into a place/room/area.

My wife's iPhone 6s battery is already struggling. With a wireless charging feature like this, will the battery even stay healthy over 6 months?

If wireless charging becomes so widespread as these rumor-producers claim it could, there'd be no worry about battery death and decay as you'd always be somewhere close to a charger.

Reactions: SFamilyRep

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Hella. I'd like to think Apple won't screw up the 10th Anniversary of iPhone, but I'm just now sure anymore these days. Could, really, go either way.
[doublepost=1484835286][/doublepost]Relatedly, that 8 concept is the best I've seen yet. It's clearly reminiscent of the 3G, which had an iconic design, but the concept is using modern ideas. Not bad!

https://www.handy-abovergleich.ch/iphone-8-concept/

I have a feeling that after all the reminiscing that occurred in early January for the 10th anniversary, that when they actually launch this new iPhone they won't really talk about it being 10th anniversary device. Could be wrong though.

Reactions: djlythium

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
If wireless charging becomes so widespread as these rumor-producers claim it could, there'd be no worry about battery death and decay as you'd always be somewhere close to a charger.
I expect McDonalds, starbucks, and the usual suspects (the stores that led the way on free wifi) to do the same they did with wireless charging stations as they did with wifi. This tech is going to hit huge and fast.

Kognito

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2011
I wasn't really talking about overcharging the battery, but rather talked about charge cycle of it.

The average life span of a lithium battery is between 400 to 500 charge cycles, everytime you plug in and out from your cable, it's consider 1 charge cycle regardless of the charge level.

If i travel in and out of my house over 5 times a day, my battery will have to go through 5 charges that day, and i dont think it will do any good to the battery for sure.

That's not true in the slightest. Having worked as a software engineer on lithium ion battery charging ICs, I can assure you a 'charge cycle' is broadly considered as a full depletion of the cell's capacity. In the case of an iPhone, if you charge it fully, deplete to 50%, then charge fully and deplete to 50% again, you've used a 100% of a charge cycle, not 2 charge cycles.

It's the chemistry of the battery that eventually wears out rather than there being some set number of times you can flip the switch to charge it.

Edit:

Apple is also clear on how their batteries function http://www.apple.com/batteries/why-lithium-ion/

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
First off, who cares what the "average lifespan of a lithium battery is"? Apple has for years been using batteries that are rated for 1000% cycles (that are supposed to maintain 80% capacity at the 1000 cycle) in their entire lineup (phones, tablets, laptops).

Second, that's not how charge cycles work.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Is Liteon a component manufacturer for Energous' solution or do they have their own wireless technology that they own?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.