Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hubert8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Hello,

Need some help in determining a recent problem I've been having with my 500MHz Ti Powerbook. It has been acting very temperamental during startup where it will not startup at all, the fan will come on but no screen, or it will chime twice (and it's a weird sounding chime) and not startup, or it will freeze after logging in or during the log in stage. I got it to boot up once, but since then... it's dead. It will not startup. A friend tells me it's the internal lithium (PRAM?) battery that needs to be replaced... agree, disagree?? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
I'm not sure what is wrong, but I think it's the startup chime that will tell you what the problem is. Macs have different chime sounds for different problems. If no one can help you here, try to describe the chime in words and plug those words into Google.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
My Tibook 400 needed a new pram battery when I did a 10.3.9 upgrade. That's probably it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.