Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
It looks cooler than I thought initially, especially on lock screen. I am glad Apple make it "live" only by consciously 3d-touch it or else it will constantly move annoying the hell out of me.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Nokia did this years ago, just didn't have the Apple name on it. Here's how it works - 5 seconds before and after the photo - video is recorded. The photo is saved as normal plus an MOV file is also saved on top of this - the two run in combination to create the effect, which is really just a simply gimmick. This also means twice as much data being used as well.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
My husband who has a 6s+ went hiking yesterday with his phone and grabbed some Live photos that he just showed me this morning. Amazing detail first off. I could see all the rocky detail on the opposite side of the dried riverbed area (Calif drought). There was a small pond left on the riverbed floor with some fish and frogs still surviving. You could see the green algae in stagnant spots. It really had a "mossy" feel to it. The clarity of the photo looking into the water of the pond was stunning. The photos he took really blew me away. I have a 6+ and didn't think I would feel the need to upgrade....then he touched the Live photos and I could see why this will be a hot feature that people will want to upgrade to. The fish in the pond were moving and the water rippling. The photo he took of some deer in a grassy field suddenly started frolicking in a circle with each other. That was such a special moment of his hike to share later with me was all I thought. I haven't spent any time looking at anything else the phone does over my 6+ but I'm already wanting to upgrade.

Oh and he air dropped the photo of the deer to my 6+ and I could view it on there as a Live Photo. So cool. You need to hold your finger on the photo the whole time while viewing to see the entire action. I tried downloading it to my older MBP and it wouldn't transfer. Hubby thinks it's because that machine is still on older software so I'll upgrade soon and retry the download. The photo appears in my Photos album on my 6+ as two images. One with a .jpg extension and the other with the same name but a .mov extension.

This is super cool and if you have an Apple Store in your area, you should stop in at some point and check it out. I think this is a mover especially for people on older phones...and likely for some of us still on a 6 or 6+.

That's great. You must have upgraded to iOS 9.

In the right situation, yeah, it could be great. It's going to take time for most of us to get used to it and find the right situations.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Another thing about these Live photos is that you can send them via iMessage and someone on an iPhone that isn't a 6S or 6S+ can watch them by tapping on them also. Did it yesterday with a 5C.

They'll "play" on at least an iPhone 5, too.

So is the only way to see a native live photo on an iPhone 5 is if the original iPhone 6S that shot it sends it to you in iMessages?

I would think at a minimum one could share the Live photo in an iCloud photo album and anyone with a phone capable of displaying the them natively would. Maybe Apple's server detects the phone you're using and presents the appropriate file type?

I have to admit right now it sounds very much like a gimmick to me, but if I could easily see the native results it might be an interesting feature.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
So is the only way to see a native live photo on an iPhone 5 is if the original iPhone 6S that shot it sends it to you in iMessages?

I would think at a minimum one could share the Live photo in an iCloud photo album and anyone with a phone capable of displaying the them natively would. Maybe Apple's server detects the phone you're using and presents the appropriate file type?

I have to admit right now it sounds very much like a gimmick to me, but if I could easily see the native results it might be an interesting feature.

That's a good idea. You have to be running OSX El Capitan OR iOS 9 to view them. Also, Facebook is rolling out support by the end of the year.

modnar

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
I very much want an app now that will export a Live Photo to a GIF (or even MOV) so it can be posted on Instagram, etc., without having to manually pull it from the phone on your PC.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
I very much want an app now that will export a Live Photo to a GIF (or even MOV) so it can be posted on Instagram, etc., without having to manually pull it from the phone on your PC.

Since Facebook owns Instagram, and Facebook is rolling out support for Live Photos, I'm confident that Instagram wil ladd support as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.