Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kyurkchyan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2016
Hi Guys

I have MacBook Pro, Late 2013. I have 512Gb ssd, on which I have my El Capitan, and Windows 10 installed on bootcamp partition. From my El Capitan, I can install VMWare fusion and load the actual bootcamp partition into the vm, thus I can enter my Windows both as virtual machine from within the mac, and by booting up the Windows as a single instance. However, my main OS is Windows now, and I need also Mac. So I would like to do something vice a versa. Load Windows 10 by default, and load the El Capitan into the VMWare. I've come across this article, but it didn't work for me. Has anybody tried something similar?

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
Saying "it didn't work" is not very helpful. Exactly how far did you get in the instructions and what failed? Were there error messages?

kyurkchyan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2016
Saying "it didn't work" is not very helpful. Exactly how far did you get in the instructions and what failed? Were there error messages?
If you go to that link, you'll see several steps. I did everything until the last step where you add physical hard drive to virtual machine and try to start the vm. As soon as I start the VM I get "The physical disk is already in use" error. I tried removing the Mac partition from showing up in explorer by deleted it's letter fro m Disk Management, it didn't help either.

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
Did you try rebooting Windows after removing the Mac drive letter with Disk Management?

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
By the way, it appears there is an ongoing discussion of the very issue in the discussion below the installation instructions on the link you posted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.