Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Yeah, just another overly broad patent ....

Patents like these should be struck down, as soon as it becomes clear that they're vague and overly broad in the context of what people are doing that the patent-holder claims "violates" them.

I've resigned myself to an understanding, though, that our current patent system is really just designed as a legal battleground for the wealthy. The more successful your company is, the more patents you stuff away into your portfolio so you can wage patent war on the other guy whenever the opportunity arises.

The fact that you can patent processes that are just virtual analogies of processes people do in real-life every day proves my point. A "1 click purchase" patent a la Amazon.com? Ridiculous on its face. Even if you "came up with the idea first" (which really means you spent the money to patent the idea first, because it's VERY doubtful nobody ever conceived of such as basic idea before you)? It's no different than the age-old concept of buying a product by selecting it with one gesture (like pointing it out with your finger). It's just translated (as all things must be) to a digital equivalent, when you want to do it on the web.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Has Apple made a statement regarding this? Could they also sue Lodsys for taking their license fee even though Lodsys did not feel Apply was responsible for paying it?

Well it was nice of Apple to lay this on everyone's feet and not at least warn them of the implications of using this patented technology.

And what's so stupid about patenting software is that it doesn't matter *how* it's done but that it *is* done. Where's the 'free marketeers' in all these poop fights? By allowing the patenting of software allows one person or group to control massive parts of the computer/information technology arena. When does this craziness become a national security issue...

I mean, imagine if someone patented the 'vein in a flat surface to deliver materials' as God was creating the planet (assuming that creationism is real). Would we live on a planet filled with trees of the pine variety to avoid paying for each leaf and blade of grass? And would conifers be exempt in the hands of this ages SCOTUS? Doubtful...

ArchaicRevival

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2011
Bucketheadland
Don't blame the patent trolls for a broken patent system. Could have been fixed long ago but no one has had the political scrotum to do so. So lets enjoy the histrionics its after all so much fun watching as well as paying for it.:(

While I agree it should have been fixed a while ago, technology is evolving so quickly in all aspects, from chips, to software, to just the way we do things in general that the judicial system can barely keep up with. If they fix the patents problem, it's gonna take a while, and it's gonna take someone with a real vision...

Kinda like what happened with the Articles of Confederation... We had to throw them out and replace them with something a little more robust like the Constitution.
:apple:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I do like them slightly better for using the phrase "seriously uncool" in response to death threats.

You've got to put your opinion of their business aside and respect that.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
While this company can hardly be considered ethical, I think it's more fair to blame the the US Patent system which is royally messed up. Thank god I don't have to worry about it.

If I'd ever write an app for Appstore I'd probably block it from being sold in the US just to save me a ton of worry.

AriX

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2007
What a disgusting company. I can't believe this is legal.

They might as well claim that they own a patent on people exchanging money for the trade of goods.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I'm surprised that someone hasn't come out with a patent on clickable onscreen buttons...

THAT would rock the world to the foundation.

Talk about death treats. They'd have to hire BlackWater to save their asses...

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
I guess these scumb bags found the price of gas to high to continue their ambulance chasing and moved on to more stationary forms of lawsuits.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I'm surprised that someone hasn't come out with a patent on clickable onscreen buttons...

THAT would rock the world to the foundation.

Considering it would have to have been filed somewhere around the 60s or 70s, it would long be expired. Otherwise, prior art would kill it, unless it was more precise than "clickable on screen button".

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
If I'd ever write an app for Appstore I'd probably block it from being sold in the US just to save me a ton of worry.

Maybe that's what it will take.

An example: Foreigners already plan air travel so that the planes they travel on never land on US soil. Post 9/11 security has gotten out of hand: 'We' seem to think that even if a foreign passenger isn't getting out of the airport on a layover, they should be paraded off the plane, photographed, fingerprinted, searched, fondled, and paraded back on the plane and in many cases their notebook computers and cell phones are searched, downloaded, and occasionally confiscated.

The question here is: How absurd does it have to get before change happens.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
From their About page:

"I never did anything by accident, nor did any of my inventions come by accident; they came by work." -Thomas Edison

That's funny. They bought the patents from one company that had bought the patents from another company that bought the patents from the guy that actually did the work. I guess that is a lot like Thomas Edison though, isn't it?

a random John

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
... checks how well the litigation business model worked out for SCO ...

Actually, the company that bought SCO in order to file the lawsuit had previously bought another company simply to give it standing to sue Microsoft. That resulted in a $250,000,000 judgement and all the lawyers retired to a life of luxury. So even though the the SCO thing ended poorly for them, the strategy had already made a bunch of the people involved wealthy.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Maybe they should stop using loopholes to extend their patent and just let it expire if it is as obvious as it is now. That's why patents are time limited, so that after a certain period of benefit by the inventor, society can start benefiting from the invention in question.

Lodsys needs to let this one go. They have had their time with it.

This really isn't about In App Purchase. It's about Apps (especially LITE or DEMOs) offering the user a button to "upgrade" to the full app. When that button is pressed, the user is sent back to the App Store, to the proper page. No IAP required.

Couldn't agree more. They have had this one and similar ones for the past twenty years plus. Come on now. I am surprised they didn't go after Apple for providing this service. Anybody else see any big name companies getting this notice? IE Capcom or EA? Or did I just miss those two?

johnfnwhiteside

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2010
Lennon, MI
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

If this patent has been around for 20 years then why are we just hearing about it now? Another example of a company trying to get rich off of others hard work.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If Lodsys is so forward looking, why didn't they invent a successful product?

Instead, Lodsys' only goal is to leech off success of others.

macdaddykane

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
Taking hostages.

Lodsys doesn't care about these small developers or the revenue they could possibly gain by making each one buy a license.

Lodsys is holding these small devs hostage like a lousy kidnapper hoping that the big boy Apple will come in and drop a big check to make them go away.

They have no intention of taking all the developers in the App Store to court to impose their so-called patent nor are they interested in taking small royalty payments over time.

Lodsys is after a big and quick Apple $$$ payout, the indy devs are just their pawns.

Lodsys already licensed the tech to Apple probably many years ago for small potatoes.

They are simply trying to squeeze the patent for more cash; since they can't directly negotiate with Apple who already owns a license, they are taking the indy devs hostage.

Last edited:

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
After the tremendous success of the App Store, not possible without the developers, I hope Apple strengthens its fist and protects its developers.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
That's funny. They bought the patents from one company that had bought the patents from another company that bought the patents from the guy that actually did the work. I guess that is a lot like Thomas Edison though, isn't it?

No, he actually stole a lot of stuff. These guys are at least 1 step up from him.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Don't blame the patent trolls for a broken patent system. Could have been fixed long ago but no one has had the political scrotum to do so. So lets enjoy the histrionics its after all so much fun watching as well as paying for it.:(

Agreed, this is the true scandal here. Patents should only be awarded if they are (1) none trivial and (2) the patent holder creates a product that uses is within reasonable time

Also: the in-app purchase was a known feature since a long time. Patent holders that are aware of patent infringement shouldn't be allowed to wait for years too maximize their profits, once they know about the violation they should act right away (in reasonable time) or shut up.

The current system makes it to easy for patent trolls to buy patents that are not used for anything, wait until they are successfully used in many many places and than ask for big money for things they were not able to deliver.

Lodsys claims that Apple licensed the technology for the app purchase in a way that does not cover developers using the API from APPLE ... somehow hard to believe that Apple would do it that way.

How does it work in general, if someone licenses a technique and uses it in a library that is used by others? Does than really everyone who writes code against that API license it again?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.