Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
Macrumors said:
Released this morning on Apple's website:

A collection of new Jam Packs for GarageBand were also made available today.

Suprising to know it's not ProBand-why drop the well known Logic name for something else. I would believe that is some sort improved or increased compatibility with Garageband.

fucanay

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2003
chameeeleon said:
....Logic Express 7 (have there really been Logic Expresses before? 6 of them?),

Well, not by that name, but there used to be Logic Platinum, Gold and Silver. Express is silver and there have been versions of that going back to at least version 4 and maybe earlier.

fucanay

NickFalk

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2004
njmac said:
DVD Studio Pro could become DVD Studio express and apple could introduce a true pro app that could compete with Sonic Scenarist (what most pro's actually use for feature films).
Actually I have no experience with Sonic Scenarist at all, but after reading their feature-page I was actually unable to find one single feature mentioned that doesn't exist in DVD Studio Pro. Would you care to elaborate? :confused:

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
chameeeleon said:
Flashing back to DVD Studio Express - imagine an "Express Suite" of Final Cut Express 3, Logic Express 7 (have there really been Logic Expresses before? 6 of them?), and DVD Studio Express 1 unveiled at MacWorld to compliment iLife '05. Would be some stellar stuff from Apple.

Apple has certainly moved in that direction. Three of the five iLife apps (Garageband, iMovie, iDVD) are creative tools; the other two (iPhoto, iTunes) are essentially archival tools (though iPhoto has very limited editing tools).

iLife << Express << Pro
GarageBand << Logic Express << Logic Pro
iMovie << Final Cut Express << Final Cut Pro HD
iDVD << [DVD Studio Express] << DVD Studio Pro

If you add Adobe to the mix, you also have three levels of photo editors.

iPhoto << PhotoShop Elements << PhotoShop CS

I don't really see a huge need for Apple to get into the photo-editing app market since Adobe already does such a great job with Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. I would, though, like to see Apple challenge Adobe GoLive and Macromedia Dreamweaver with an iLife, Express and Pro web site development app that would integrate with .Mac. (iSite? Too confusing with iSight?)

Like other posters, I think non-media apps won't be adeded to iLife but my be added to a new personal productivity (iWork?) that would include Keynote 2, a personal finance app and a revamped AppleWorks.

squareyes

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2004
fucanay said:
Well, not by that name, but there used to be Logic Platinum, Gold and Silver. Express is silver and there have been versions of that going back to at least version 4 and maybe earlier.

fucanay

hey it goes all the way back to CREATOR and NOTATOR being sold at the same time. CREATOR not having notation........(a huge thing back then)

jestershinra

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
Montserrat said:
I:snip:

Has anyone else noticed the need for a "free USB port" for copy protection key? Has Apple done this before? (Soundtrack is the only "Pro" software I own, so I'm not very knowledgable in this area) I tend to find my PB's USB ports get quite full when I'm doing music stuff, so presumably the key would only be needed on installation?

No. The 'usb key' is called an XSkey. It was developed by Emagic to thwart pirating, and works extremely well in that regard. You must connect the key every time you want to use the program. The key contains access codes. It means the program is very, very difficult to crack.

It is worthwhile to note that, as of yet, only Logic 7 Pro will have this- they've left it off express. It makes me think they've got some other type of cd verification, because the XSkey is wonderful in stopping piracy.

Psychic Shopper

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2003
Cleveland Ohio
red book compliant

uhfmfp said:
Apple are still missing a VERY important tool for music users: a "red book" compliant CD authoring tool. In fact, there is no such tool in OS X that I'm aware of,

Adaptec Jam is a OSX and red book compliant CD authoring tool, you can buy it bundled with Toast 6

DrGruv1

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2002
Chicago - West 'Burbs
Logic 7 Shipping October 5

Just checked my order...

LOGIC PRO 7 UPG LOG PRO 6,LGCPLT/GLD-INT

M9667Z/A

On or before
10/05/2004

$299.00

$299.00

YEEEEEEEEEE-HHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :D

order.jpg

Jeff Cross

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2004
Waveburner available for OS X

uhfmfp said:
Apple are still missing a VERY important tool for music users: a "red book" compliant CD authoring tool. In fact, there is no such tool in OS X that I'm aware of, so I'm still using Emagic's WaveBurner Pro in OS 9. Very frustrating. What's worse is that WaveBurner Pro had a big notice on it when I bought it well over a year ago that OS X support was in the works.

Argh!

WaveBurner Pro should really be brought to OS X to compliment DVD Studio Pro... pro products for audio and video.

Regardless, Logic 7 does look amazing.

Waveburner for OS X comes with Logic Pro 7! Its beautiful. It has been modernized and looks incredible.

pascalpp

macrumors member
May 10, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
upgrade order status

tliptak said:
Anybody get there copy yet?

I ordered the upgrade from sweetwater. my rep told me it should ship around oct. 17th or so. from the above, it sounds like some people managed to get it sooner?

mr_bam

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Wales, UK
Logic 7 Pro

UK: Logic 7 Pro delivered last Wednesday (6th October). From Sound Technology soundtech.co.uk

WaveBurner is included for OS X - looks fantastic - never used it before - but it appears to do full Red Book CDs including ISRC codes, CD Text and more.

All of Logic 7 now uses the Apple Pro interface and it looks fantastic IMO. I'd hoped they'd fix the old Emagic interface - it looked a bit dated and weird in some dialogs before. Very slick now though.

No problems so far at all with 7. Very stable upgrade. The new features are fantastic. Seems a little more Power Hungry than before. Works great on a DP 2GHz G5. But does run usably on a DP 500MHz G4 too.

Haven't tried the new Logic Node tool yet.

Still trying out all the new plug-ins and using the hundreds of GarageBand instruments that are automatically added to Logic 7 Pro - such a bonus to have all those instruments at hand.

Control Strip plug-in settings already ready for thousands of common audio / instrument scenarios are a great bonus and time saver too.

The Bounce feature on Logic 7 has been improved dramatically too - and it's in the File menu now (how many people never find the bounce button as first time Logic 5 or 6 users? - I know I had to look in the book back then to find it).

Overall a very worthwhile upgrade.

aled
North Wales, UK.

stevesong

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2004
NYC
Logic Pro 7 Upgrade

Readers should be made aware that Apple is charging the full upgrade price of $299 even for those who purchased Logic Pro 6 within the last two months. I know because I purchased Logic Pro 6 from the Apple Store on August 20, 2004 and Apple representatives have told me that I am not eligible for any discount in the upgrade price. Apple's policy in this matter is in marked contrast to the policies of competing music software companies. I purchased an upgrade of Mark of the Unicorn's Digital Performer (going from version 2.6 to vers. 4.1.2) in early July. Mark of the Unicorn informed me that they will shortly send me version 4.5 without charge. In a similar vein, the price of upgrades for Tascam's Gigastudio 3 varies according to when the previous version was purchased. ($50.00 for recent purchasers, $249.00 for earlier purchasers). The policies of Mark of the Unicorn and Tascam are not unique in the software business - they are common practice for the simple reason that such policies generate good-will, customer loyalty and enthusiastic recommendations made to prospective customers. One has to hope that someone at Apple will perceive that the current policy has the potential for generating significant ill will among current Logic users and a chilling effect on prosepctive customers. Perhaps someone would like to explain how this upgrade policy squares with Apple's many statements about the importance of customer satisfaction?

KidLoco

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2004
stevesong said:
Readers should be made aware that Apple is charging the full upgrade price of $299 even for those who purchased Logic Pro 6 within the last two months. I know because I purchased Logic Pro 6 from the Apple Store on August 20, 2004 and Apple representatives have told me that I am not eligible for any discount in the upgrade price. Apple's policy in this matter is in marked contrast to the policies of competing music software companies. I purchased an upgrade of Mark of the Unicorn's Digital Performer (going from version 2.6 to vers. 4.1.2) in early July. Mark of the Unicorn informed me that they will shortly send me version 4.5 without charge. In a similar vein, the price of upgrades for Tascam's Gigastudio 3 varies according to when the previous version was purchased. ($50.00 for recent purchasers, $249.00 for earlier purchasers). The policies of Mark of the Unicorn and Tascam are not unique in the software business - they are common practice for the simple reason that such policies generate good-will, customer loyalty and enthusiastic recommendations made to prospective customers. One has to hope that someone at Apple will perceive that the current policy has the potential for generating significant ill will among current Logic users and a chilling effect on prosepctive customers. Perhaps someone would like to explain how this upgrade policy squares with Apple's many statements about the importance of customer satisfaction?

I guess you didn't try hard enough.

I got it for $259, and I bought the Pro 6 upgrade in July.

I got my copy today, and so far so good! (actually, haven't had a chance to install it yet...)

I've been using Logic since 3.0 and this "loop browser" thing in 7 is new and incredible, can anybody tell me how i can make my own compatible loops? (so that it allows the formant, key, and tempo to change)

stevesong

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2004
NYC
Is the customer always wrong?

KidLoco said:
I guess you didn't try hard enough.

I got it for $259, and I bought the Pro 6 upgrade in July.

I got my copy today, and so far so good! (actually, haven't had a chance to install it yet...)

I've been using Logic since 3.0 and this "loop browser" thing in 7 is new and incredible, can anybody tell me how i can make my own compatible loops? (so that it allows the formant, key, and tempo to change)

Dear Kidloco:

Anyone who has ever run a succesful business knows that good customer relations are an essential part of running a business. Successful businesses treat customers as partners not adversaries or fools to be taken advantage of. Customers should not have to make umpteen phone calls, write letters and carry on to get a company to act intelligently and fairly. If Apple had implemented an upgrade policy similar to that of its competitors, recent Logic Pro 6 purchasers would have little or no complaint. What does Apple's current policy bode for future upgrade policy? Why is Apple's Logic Pro 7 upgrade policy generating a lot of negative discussion on the internet and pettions to modify it? The answer is that Apple's policy does not appear to reflect strategic business thinking. A wise policy would have generated customer enthusiasm rather than complaint and thereby enhanced sales instead of hindering them. Anyway I'm glad you got a $40 price reduction, but that misses the point that Apple's upgrade policy doesn't make business sense and may have a damaging impact on Logic's future.

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
stevesong said:
Dear Kidloco:
Why is Apple's Logic Pro 7 upgrade policy generating a lot of negative discussion on the internet and pettions to modify it?

A lot of users who didn't note that an upgrade was imminent?

KidLoco

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2004
stevesong said:
Dear Kidloco:

Anyone who has ever run a succesful business knows that good customer relations are an essential part of running a business. Successful businesses treat customers as partners not adversaries or fools to be taken advantage of. Customers should not have to make umpteen phone calls, write letters and carry on to get a company to act intelligently and fairly. If Apple had implemented an upgrade policy similar to that of its competitors, recent Logic Pro 6 purchasers would have little or no complaint. What does Apple's current policy bode for future upgrade policy? Why is Apple's Logic Pro 7 upgrade policy generating a lot of negative discussion on the internet and pettions to modify it? The answer is that Apple's policy does not appear to reflect strategic business thinking. A wise policy would have generated customer enthusiasm rather than complaint and thereby enhanced sales instead of hindering them. Anyway I'm glad you got a $40 price reduction, but that misses the point that Apple's upgrade policy doesn't make business sense and may have a damaging impact on Logic's future.

I totally understand what your saying. I really shouldn't of had to pay for the upgrade. I was using Logic Platinum 6, paid for the upgrade to Pro 6 and now paid for the upgrade for Pro 7.

The part that ticks me off, is that if I stayed on Platinum 5, it would cost to same to upgrade to 7. I paid for the upgrade to Platinum 6 and Pro 6....

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
KidLoco said:
I totally understand what your saying. I really shouldn't of had to pay for the upgrade. I was using Logic Platinum 6, paid for the upgrade to Pro 6 and now paid for the upgrade for Pro 7.

The part that ticks me off, is that if I stayed on Platinum 5, it would cost to same to upgrade to 7. I paid for the upgrade to Platinum 6 and Pro 6....

hey, why not wait for version ten!!! then you could save a lot! :D

inform yourselves of the technology you use... nobody makes you do anything.

peace.

stevesong

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2004
NYC
Thinking

neut said:
hey, why not wait for version ten!!! then you could save a lot! :D

inform yourselves of the technology you use... nobody makes you do anything.

peace.

Dear Neut:

The issue here is not simply about personal complaints or decisions by individual customers it is about whether Apple is pursuing a winning strategy in marketing the Logic Pro 7 upgrade. Logic is currently not the dominant product in this industry. Apple would, no doubt, like to make it the dominant product. To do this would mean keeping Logic's customer base and expanding it. Policies that have the potential of reducing shrinking Logic's customer base may eventually impact all Logic users. If Apple's policies - which, as I pointed out in my first posting differ markedly from those of its competitors - have the effect of reducing Apple's profits from Logic then Logic users can look forward to little product development in the future.

Business history is littered with the stories of smaller creative companies that were taken over and run into the ground by larger companies who tried to squeeze the last dime out of the customer base they inherited. The exorbitant upgrade price Apple is charging to very recent Logic Pro 6 purchasers is a classic example of the kind of business thinking that focuses on short term gain rather than long term profits. Alienating a significant part of your customer base when you become the proprietor of a business seems an unlikely path to success in the marketplace. You are right: we all have the freedom to choose and I'm afraid that, given Apple's upgrade policy for Logic, some - perhaps a significant number of current Logic users - will choose to purchase competing products and work with companies that treat them as partners rather than as the objects of exploitation. If Logic is important to you and you care about whether your investment in Logic has a long term future, then you might consider adding your voice to those suggesting that Apple act in a wiser fashion.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
stevesong said:
If Logic is important to you and you care about whether your investment in Logic has a long term future, then you might consider adding your voice to those suggesting that Apple act in a wiser fashion.

A companies policy is there own. I respct their desicions by buying their product. I do not use Logic (currently, $ and workload do not = Logic), but this last upgrade would make me want to purchase it.

It seems to me the upgrade policy only effects new customers that bought Logic on a whim (without educating themselves about the audio tech market). If you didn't know 7 was going to be there when you bought 6 then it your own fault. If Apple announced it... then you should wait to see the upgrade policy (or call). Why get mad at Apple? All there doing is looking at you going, "Dude, we told you it was coming... dumbass." 'Your' still the dumbass.

?

I still don't understand what the problem is; are you just protecting boneheadedness?

peace.

*Apple's a big computer company; they are not an Audio company (but they are becoming one). Give 'em some time.... but don't expect them to fall back on old ways. This aint MOTU.

stevesong

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2004
NYC
Civility

neut said:
A companies policy is there own. I respct their desicions by buying their product. I do not use Logic (currently, $ and workload do not = Logic), but this last upgrade would make me want to purchase it.

It seems to me the upgrade policy only effects new customers that bought Logic on a whim (without educating themselves about the audio tech market). If you didn't know 7 was going to be there when you bought 6 then it your own fault. If Apple announced it... then you should wait to see the upgrade policy (or call). Why get mad at Apple? All there doing is looking at you going, "Dude, we told you it was coming... dumbass." 'Your' still the dumbass.

?

I still don't understand what the problem is; are you just protecting boneheadedness?

peace.

*Apple's a big computer company; they are not an Audio company (but they are becoming one). Give 'em some time.... but don't expect them to fall back on old ways. This aint MOTU.

Dear Organech;

Your note reminds me that it has become commonplace in recent times to substitute name-calling and insult (eg. "dumbass" "boneheaded" etc.) for intelligent discussion. In essence your argument seems another version of the theory that any customer with a complaint about a comany's behavior is to blame for not being smart enough to outsmart the company. I don't know everyone who is troubled about Apple's upgrade policy for Logic Pro 7, but I do know that among them are studio owners, educational institutions and serious professional musicians. (You can check out out a little evidence in support of this statement at Macintouch.com)

As I said in an earlier note, anyone who has run a successful business - as i have - knows that customers are partners not adversaries or fools to be cleverly exploited. If you've become the proprietor of an important - but not yet dominant- product, you want to market it in a way that enlarges your customer base and does not potentially alienate a significant part of your inherited base. Disregarding your comment that "this aint MOTU," the fact is that Apple's competitors — and Apple itself — usually act in ways that reflect an understanding of this common sense principle. That's what makes this case fairly unique - and why I think it has the earmarks of a hasty decision made by a not particularly experienced or thoughtful person at Apple.

As far as civility is concerned, I suggest that, in the future, you engage in less name-calling and consider the possibility that those of us who think beyond the "Tough luck for you, I got mine" paradigm - which you seem to espouse - are not all, as you say, "boneheads" or dumb asses."

Peace

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.