Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Okay, I need to make the case about how much worse Logic Pro has gotten over the years. I haven't done a lot with it in the past few months because I've been so busy with other things, but I recently noticed some glaring issues as I was recording a new piece.

I first bought Logic in 2018, when it was on version 10.4.4 iirc. I used it on a 2012 Mac mini until I got an M1 MacBook Air, and it ran very well on the Mac mini. No issues whatsoever, even on such an old system. When I got the M1, things still ran great, but I started to notice some bugs. Custom patches were no longer loading and saving correctly, and the Sampler plugin was experiencing very strange behavior (sometimes Sampler instruments just refused to work altogether and I had to restart Logic).

Fast forward to last year when I started doing higher-caliber productions with more tracks--Logic really started to have issues. It started to become more sluggish, which is fair because I was using more tracks, but honestly not so many to justify it running so slow. By running slow, I mean there was more latency and there were more beachballs than in previous years. I'm talking about 30-track productions here--which is still sort of where I'm at most of the time. On the Mac mini, productions were about 20 tracks max, so just 10 more and it's running that much slower?!

This year is when I started to have major issues, including hard crashes, which I posted about many months ago. I would hit play, and it'd either throw a system overload, or just crash altogether. I started to save my projects religiously in case it would crash. Again, still working with projects with around 30-35 tracks.

Now, a few days ago, I opened it back up, hooked up my controller for the first time in several months, and started on a new project. Everything went pretty smooth-sailing until tonight, when stuff just would not play back correctly. I had two incredibly frustrating issues:
  1. Modulation automation data wouldn't play back properly.
  2. Regions in general didn't play back correctly. Weird glitches where a single note or chord would continue to play even after the region (or note, MIDI event, etc.) ended. Sometimes re-recording the region fixed it, sometimes not. Happened with multiple sample libraries, too, so it's not an issue with the one I was using.
I've actually had these issues before, but a restart always fixed them. This time, nope! Even restarting my Mac didn't work...

This brings me to the conclusion that, if I'm being brutally honest, Logic has gotten worse over the years. I really DON'T think the increase in project size is commensurate with the number of new issues I've started to experience, especially in the past couple years.

Who knows, maybe this could simply be a problem with my workflow. It hasn't gotten to the point where I feel I need to switch DAWs, but it certainly feels like it's nearing that point, just because of all the ridiculous bugs, crashes, and glitches I've been experiencing. I hate to admit it, but Logic has seriously become bad.

Anyway, I haven't been using Logic for 20 years, but I've been using it long enough to notice serious degradation in quality of the program.

Last edited:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
You sound like you know what you're talking about. I haven't had more-than-usual wtf moments lately. I've used the various releases since about 2015 on a hackintosh and moving to a Mac Studio since late 2022.

I'm sure I don't push it as much as it sounds like you do. Ignorance is bliss…and also frustrating.

Reactions: rm5

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Gotta say I haven't experienced your issues which tbh are kinda fundamental, and I can understand your frustration. One difference, I don't use any software that uses external sample libraries. The only external VSTs I use are Arturia V Collection which all play by real-time modelling. I can't say Logic is completely bug free, but the fundamental problems you're having would switch me to a different DAW because I couldn't work like that. It doesn't help you at all but I'd surmise your issues are weirdly fringe, otherwise it would be unusable for most of us.

Reactions: rm5

olavsu1

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2022
Yes, Logic don't import/play foreign midi projects correctly. It wants the midi project to be created in Logic and with using logic tools. The latest version of Logic can already play better with a foreign midi file than the previous ones, but it doesn't work out very well.

if I want to do something with midi, I take my old windows 7 ultimate machine, where I have Cakewalk Sonar Platinum with coolsoft virtualsynth and timbres of heaven soundfont. It manages midi better than Logic Pro. Logic Pro is again better in audio processing.

I have noticed that those DAWs that have been MIDI editors since the first version (like Sonar), handle midi better than those DAWs that firstly were wave editors, where midi capabilities were added later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.