Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jackiejus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
I have Logic Studio - a Tascam 688 - Edirol UA-25 Audio Capture (2 inputs).

I would like to record a number of instruments at one time (live band) but can't see how to do this as there are only 2 inputs.

Also, I can't seem to get multiple live 'AUDIO' tracks to record at the same time. Occasionally, by chance, the red 'R' will be accepted on mutliple tracks by I can't fathom it from the instruction book or the demo song provided.

Any help gratefully received.

fernmeister

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2007
If the interface only has two inputs, then you can only send two tracks at a time to Logic. If the Tascam is a multitrack, then you could either use it as a mixer, but then you are only sending the stereo to Logic, which is really limited OR, you could record the band on the multitrack, then send two tacks at a time to Logic and recreate the mix in the software.

In terms of recording, it really is as simple as press the red button. Make sure you have the correct inputs chosen in the track I/O window for each track that you want to record. You can actually press the record button on one track and while holding it own drag other tracks onto record mode as well. A nice hint that one day we *might* have a touch screen for pro apps!

Jackiejus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
Thanks - more help needed

Thanks for that but I'm still in the dark.

I can put on Audio INPUT 1 and Audio INPUT 2 no problem. But what if I had a orchestra? How can you record 100 different instruments live?

If I add Audio 3, it won't 'R' with the other 2 above.

I can't see how you would need a 100 input desk and then only 2 inputs on Logic.

Any help?

fernmeister

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2007
Well, you won't record an orchestra with a two input interface.

You have two available inputs on your interface and Logic will let you use both. There's no more inputs available to drive another Logic track, so why would Logic let you record to it? Plug in an interface with 8 inputs and you can record enable 8 tracks. Same with an interface(s) for 32, or 64 or 96 tracks (assuming your computer and HD can handle it, of course).

The block is the interface, not the software.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Thanks for that but I'm still in the dark.
I can't see how you would need a 100 input desk and then only 2 inputs on Logic.

It's the Edirol hardware that's limiting you, not the software.

If you were recording a band with a lot of mics, you would first use a mixer (or more than one) to create submixes of the particular instruments or groups of instruments, creating between 4 and 8 submixes from the various mics and inputs. Then you would record those into Logic with an analog-digital interface that had 4 or 8 inputs. If you want more than 8 inputs, you can do it, but it will cost some serious coin for pro-level hardware, plus a fast computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.