Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Every once in a while my MX1000 will cause my mouse cursor to fly either to the left or top of my screen. I've tried it on a red mouse pad, a red/black mouse pad and my desk (IKEA Jerker) and the movements still won't stop doing this. It can't be the surface because my desk works just fine with my Apple optical mouse. And yes I've checked to see if the mouse is clean.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I've tried it on a sheet of white paper and the problem is still there. I thought laser mice were supposed to be more accurate and pick up surfaces better? My last laser mouse never had this issue.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
It's not the surface, the ones you described should be fine with any optical or laser mouse. Maybe there's some hair or dirt stuck in the little "pit" where the sensor is? Sometimes I've had problems with my MX1000 cause there was hair under it.

Or else, it's just a faulty unit?

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
I had the same problem the day I first got mine June 05, didn't matter what surface it was on it would fly to the left or right top or bottom every now and then at random times. It was faulty but the problem was more severe on OS X than XP I found. Like as if there is a fault, OS X is more sensitive to mouse movement or faults if that makes sense? either way the replacement was sorted.

Nothing can beat a Icemat 2nd Edition to be honest! :)

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Mine does that sometimes. Thought it was just dirt or something as it happens rarely. Although i do have a problem that moving the mouse wakes up my mac. It's quite annoying as just bumping the desk can wake my mac up :(.

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
Well that's normal about moving the mouse, there's activity even bumping the desk it's still like moving the mouse which is no different to a mouse with a ball or a disc player. One of my old JVC units that I use to have that sat on a desk with drawers, I could shut the drawer as it bumps the unit and it jumps the laser which ends up changing the track.
The mouse doesn't know the desk got bumped so it think's there is activity so it will respond.

If you're worried about that there's a On/Off switch at the bottom of the MX1000, use it :)

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Yes but moving the mouse isn't supposed to wake the mac up. Try it with the standard mouse, or a mighty mouse. Neither will wake it up. You have to click the button to wake up the mac with those.

adav

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2006
Yes but moving the mouse isn't supposed to wake the mac up. Try it with the standard mouse, or a mighty mouse. Neither will wake it up. You have to click the button to wake up the mac with those.

I have a MX Revolution that is functioning perfectly, moving it wakes up my mac. Moving the mighty mouse didnt, so i think it is logitech's CRAZY 'Control Center'.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
I have a MX Revolution that is functioning perfectly, moving it wakes up my mac. Moving the mighty mouse didnt, so i think it is logitech's CRAZY 'Control Center'.

I don't have the control center installed. I really wish it didn't wake up the mac. It's very annoying when it wakes up while i'm walking around or pick something up off the desk.

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
I don't use the Logitech Control Center either. Perhaps its because the Laser on the MX1000/MX Revolution is always Live/awake? perhaps the Mighty Mouse optical lense goes into sleep mode when its not in use? I do not know.
Even still I don't know whats so hard about flicking the switch on the bottom of the mouse when you're going to be away from the Mac for a while? :)

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
I don't use the Logitech Control Center either. Perhaps its because the Laser on the MX1000/MX Revolution is always Live/awake? perhaps the Mighty Mouse optical lense goes into sleep mode when its not in use? I do not know.
Even still I don't know whats so hard about flicking the switch on the bottom of the mouse when you're going to be away from the Mac for a while? :)

A mouse with a ball won't wake up the mac either. Plus when you move a normal mouse the LED comes on showing it's awake.

And that kind of attitude is why lots of things in this world never get fixed. I should not have to switch off my mouse. It is a bug, and they should fix it and make it work like it should work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.