Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a cat *miaow*

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Check out logopond.com for some inspiration.. and more importantly, advise on a name change – that is awful... meaningless and not easy to remember

tremulant14

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
As I am working on Logos for my class, I learned that all great logos usually don't involve more than 3 colors. For example, Mcdonalds, Pepsi, Coca Cola.. etc.

You also don't want an extreme amount of detail, most logos are pretty abstract. I think creating a logo from Vector means would be the way to go, that way you can resize it whenever without losing quality. You can use the pen tool in Photoshop, and Text is also Vector.

Hope that helped a little.

krewelement394

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
:apple: it helps if you know more about the company and their products...:] i am taking a graphic design class and i currently just finished with a taco place logo! it was a pain but it worked, the professor made us make the logo in black and white first, he said the logo must work in black and white first b.c when the logo is printed in a receipt it is more likely to be printed in black and white, so you might want to consider that! and it is true, because all the stores i've gone have their logo in black and white on the receipt, well you might also want to consider something simple with not many details b.c when it is reduce such as in buisness cards it will loose all the details exaple like the apple logo is a nice bold black logo! :apple: see how small that was and it still has the details! soo if you need more suggestions let me know! :] oh and one more thing! the font face should be a nice bold font! try to avoid comic sans! not that i hate that font but according to my proffesor that font is not a good font for a logo or buisness...hmm i kind of agree!

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
What about a glass bevel? Glass bevels are cool.

Oh, and it should appear to be standing on a reflective floor. I don't know why that effect isn't used more often.

You forgot the swoosh. Every awesome logo needs a great-looking swoosh.

tremulant14 said:
As I am working on Logos for my class, I learned that all great logos usually don't involve more than 3 colors. For example, Mcdonalds, Pepsi, Coca Cola.. etc.

I'm sure you know this already, and it's been mentioned in these threads right and left, but always work a logo in black and white. If it won't work in black and white, it loses a huge chunk of memorability.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
Teh w1nnaah! Supa Awsum. Kis$ mah desinin butt, luzer$!

SuperAwesome.jpg

No charge for that one.

Cheers!

Jim

thehuhman

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
NC
Where do I start?

After reading the 1st post by the thread-starter, I was ready to "take him on". (I assumed that his request was a (not so) thinly disguised attempt to get a logo designed for free). But, then I kept reading, and by the time I reached post #24 or so, I realized everything I wanted to say, had indeed been said.

Thank goodness for threads like this one, where we get a chance to educate the populous, on the concept of graphic design.;)

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
I think Macrumors users should pitch in and make logos this great for all threads like this.

Inspired by your efforts, I have decided that photorealistic raytracing is the way to go ... nothing reproduces better on a business card than a CG render.

With lens flares.

Awsum2.jpg

If this thread gets any more awesome, people may actually go blind.

Cheers!

Jim

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Ironically, making it any worse required more time and effort than I was prepared to put into the job!

Cheers

Jim

In my experience the majority of my time is wasted when it comes to fulfilling dumb client requests which they end up reverting back to my original design.

Krebstar

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008

You also don't want an extreme amount of detail, most logos are pretty abstract. I think creating a logo from Vector means would be the way to go, that way you can resize it whenever without losing quality. You can use the pen tool in Photoshop, and Text is also Vector.

Hope that helped a little.

In terms of McDonalds, Pepsi, Coke, etc; don't confuse good with recognizable. Just because something is recognizable doesn't exactly mean it's a good logo. I know that might sound crazy to some, because if it's recognizable it must be good, but bad design is everywhere and recognizable.

Just had to get that out.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
In terms of McDonalds, Pepsi, Coke, etc; don't confuse good with recognizable. Just because something is recognizable doesn't exactly mean it's a good logo. I know that might sound crazy to some, because if it's recognizable it must be good, but bad design is everywhere and recognizable.

Just had to get that out.

Nicely said!

The more I read these posts, the more I want to see graphic design require some sort of license to practice with. It reminds me of this quote found in the film Helvetica:

“The life of a designer is a life of fight. Fight against the ugliness. Just like a doctor fights against disease. For us, the visual disease is what we have around, and what we try to do is cure it somehow with design”—Massimo Vignelli

I know that won't solve all bad design problems, but it's certainly a start.

Krebstar

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Nicely said!

The more I read these posts, the more I want to see graphic design require some sort of license to practice with. It reminds me of this quote found in the film Helvetica:

“The life of a designer is a life of fight. Fight against the ugliness. Just like a doctor fights against disease. For us, the visual disease is what we have around, and what we try to do is cure it somehow with design”—Massimo Vignelli

I know that won't solve all bad design problems, but it's certainly a start.

There are so many amazing design quotes in that film. One of my favorites that I always think about when working on things;

"There's a fine line between simple and good, and simple and...boring."

-David Carson

Back to Doogo and logos in general. I believe a logo, or brand, should incorporate everything a company is. To do that, you must first know what the company is about. With Doogo, it's hard, because it's so insanely broad.

As I asked before and the original poster then noted, the company is very proud that they're Canadian. From the very little I know about the company, I say that should seriously be looked at in the logo, even if it's extremely settle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.