Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I had a beard through the 70's into the 80's. If it's in fashion I would not do it. I also shaved my head in the 80's, later on it became fashionable.
I got tatoo's in the 70's, never thought they would become in fashon.

Pretty much everything rotates in fashion at some time or other.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Could the opposite then also be true if it's evident by the number of people with no beards (or perhaps even any facial hair whatsoever) at another store or place of business?

Depends on the demographics. The best indication of what's currently in style is the current issue of GQ magazine.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Depends on the demographics. The best indication of what's currently in style is the current issue of GQ magazine.
I guess, to those who might care about that type of thing.

That said, perhaps it's what's in magazines like that that in turn drives the "trends" that people who might care for one reason or another would then want to try to emulate. One of those chicken and the egg type of things.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Girlfriend said to me last night have you noticed how most blokes with some sort of beard have an iPhone, my reply was haven't really noticed tbh... oh hang on i have a beard aswell hmmmm.

I know beards are in fashion atm and i have one myself which i'm quite proud off, but has anybody else noticed this can't be true can it? :D

Hard to tell really. Beards are somewhat seasonal in the southern US (guys grow them out during the fall/winter for hunting season).

Android guys tend to be a little nerdier, and possibly less likely to hunt so who knows...maybe there is some truth to this.

warlikewings

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
Hipsters have beards, hipsters love apple. Therefore, she must have been noticing hipsters. They are everywhere after all. Ask her to pay attention to how many of those same blokes wear skinny jeans, plaid/flannel shirts, and (this one is optional) have gauges in their ears. Bet you its 90%

-iPhone user without a beard. :)

jk4lebron23

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2010
Nashville,TN
Hipsters have beards, hipsters love apple. Therefore, she must have been noticing hipsters. They are everywhere after all. Ask her to pay attention to how many of those same blokes wear skinny jeans, plaid/flannel shirts, and (this one is optional) have gauges in their ears. Bet you its 90%

-iPhone user without a beard. :)

My favorite is the beard, skinny jeans and oversized flannel shirt....I mean why not just wear a normal sized shirt and jeans?:confused:

iPhone user, no beard and also a male

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
No, iPhones and beards are not a "thing."

Beards are a thing, but usually the type of man that goes for that angle is not the guy who would get an iPhone but rather an Android if anything.

Beards are like an anti-establishment/insecure type thing along the lines of tattoos. The guys are making a statement about existential pain and that deep rooted need inside to want to feel alive, but for those of us that are usually too shy to be deliberate about wanting attention.

iPhone is a about straightforward boldness. Clean shaven, you got the other cliche fashion of today which is the SS haircut.

Android is about anti-establishment so the beards would go for that if any such pattern were significant. (which it isn't.)

Now this is not to be confused with the "Ironic Hipster Beard" which is a totally different thing and, yes, would be iPhone side, but these are a lot more rare. :) I think thats what OP mistook this pattern for.

I'm going to assume this is sarcasm because I refuse to believe someone has these far fetched stereotypical beliefs anymore.

Only a true follower would believe material objects have any true reflection on ones self.

If an Android user lost there phone and used an iPhone temporarily does the world end? Do they have to shave if they get an iPhone? Or do people just buy what works for them regardless of facial hair? Lol

blcfla

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2013
I have a beard and an iPhone... but I also had a beard back when I had a Droid X. I loved that phone in it's day lol

Jws

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
AR
I've had a beard for 10 years or so besides periods when I had to shave for work. I don't know if I'll ever go clean shaven for any length of time, although I might shave once or twice a year so I can remember what I look like. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.