Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macmaniac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Strange place to ask for PC related help but I might as well try since I know we have quite a few people here who home build their pcs.

My self built PC is actin very strangely and it only started happening about a week ago. When I press the power button the fans spin for a second and my lights come on for a second like the computer is going to power on then they stop. So I unplugged it, let it sit for five seconds and try again. Same thing. I repeat this step about five times then it will turn on fully. Once its up and running it operates fine, however this whole not turning on thing worries me. I think my power supply is causing the problem I just wanted some thoughts.

Also I have a wireless KB and mouse, both of which are RF and have been working fine for 2 weeks, however last night after finally getting the computer to power on the mouse was being very erratic. It would not scroll on the desk, it would jump around or freeze in place. However, if it I put the mouse on my arm and scrolled over my skin then mouse tracked fine. I tried 3 different sets of batteries, then I got fed up and plugged in our Microsoft wireless optical mouse which worked without a hitch. Its a Logitech mouse, from the Logitech MX3000 wireless desktop. Any ideas?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
It could be the power supply. Or it could be corrupt BIOS settings. There will probably be a jumper somewhere on the board to wipe the BIOS settings back to defaults. Try that, if it doesn't work try a spare PSU (if you have one)...

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
I occassionly get this on my PC but it always fires up on the next try. Since it always starts on the second try and rarely happens I haven't worried about and always attributed it to my hitting that momentary switch wrong. Like double pumping it?

Anyway, it could be your switch?

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I would say its your power supply but if it was then you wouldn't get any power to that machine but check out your Power Supply. Sounds like that mouse don't like the surface or you may have to reinstall the software (you know how that is)

One more thing....did the computer ever make it to the beep when you powered it up?

Bless

Macmaniac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
In about 1 out of 6 attempts it will make it to the beep and turn off. However most of the time if it makes it to the beep it starts up.

As for the mouse, it worked fine on the surface for 2 weeks, so I am going to reinstall the software. Hopefully that takes care of it.

I will keep u updated.

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
I vote power supply. I had a power supply do funky things on me. I replaced it, and the maching was fine. If you have an old one laying around, that has similar wattage, pop it in and see what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.