Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
I'm rewiring my system after a move. I have a MacMini hooked up to a tv (for watching videos on the big screen) and a monitor (for most of my computer work).

The monitor will be around 40-50 feet (as the cable will need to be run) from the computer once I reposition everything.

This site: http://estore.circuitassembly.com/p...-Extension-Cable-25-foot-35-foot-50-foot.html
has a long Mini-Displayport cable (up to 50 feet)

My questions are:

1) Can minidisplay port cables really go this far without problems?

2) In the future I expect I'll upgrade my monitor to the point it'll need a dual-link DVI connection.
Using Apple's MDP to duallink dvi adapter, can I connect this long MDP cable to it and into a usb2 port near the monitor (I'll have to run this anyway for keyboard/mouse/etc)?
The dual link adapter just uses the USB2 port for power, not control signals right? So the MBP cable should be able to handle this with the DL adapter.

In a perfect world, I'd put the computer and peripherals near the monitor and just extend the MDP cable to the TV (1080P max, so no problems with just HDMI).
But with all my gear, I'd prefer it out of earshot behind the TV.

This is also in prep for buying a new Mac when Apple does their next refresh of the mini and/or pro.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

techzone707

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2011
Canada
Well, Sort of

DisplayPort cables can be run a maximum length of 15m (~49ft). Mini DisplayPort runs at the same signal as DP, so I think its the same length. Im not sure if there is a M-DP cables that are 15m. You could run DVI 15m but it degrades the resolution to 1280x1024. The price of a 15m (Single Link) DVI cables is ~$150, (Dual Link) ~$350. So the best Price and resolution is a Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort Adapter and a 15m DisplayPort cable for ~$100

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.