Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
I am going on a trip where I'll be on a plane for at least 6 hours. I intend to use my PowerBook 1.67 15" on the plane. I only give the specs because I know batteries vary.

I would probably watch a movie. Should I run it from the hard drive or my ipod?

I would also probably surf the web with my phone tethered as a modem...if this is even possible on a plane. Honestly it's been 15 years since I've flown. Do planes have plugs? Seems as though it'd be a nice feature.

The bottom line is that when I land I'll have 3 days of classes that are 8 hours long. I'm not sure how accessible a plug will be. It's a University Campus so I'd venture to guess they're used to having laptops around. But still.

Should I spring for another battery or is that a lame idea. I can only count two other times that I'll need it. One trip to England and another trip to NY.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
You can't use your cell phone in-flight. You'll be tackled by an air marshal and beaten senseless if you try. ;)

Some airlines do have power ports in the armrests. Head over to SeatGuru to see whether your plane will have it and what you'd need to connect to it if it does.

That said, it seems like you might be able to benefit from another battery...they can come in handy.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
WildCowboy said:
You can't use your cell phone in-flight. You'll be tackled by an air marshal and beaten senseless if you try. ;)

Some airlines do have power ports in the armrests. Head over to SeatGuru to see whether your plane will have it and what you'd need to connect to it if it does.

That said, it seems like you might be able to benefit from another battery...they can come in handy.
I have a pocket PC phone, would that still fall under the use of the cell phone header if I'm not technically using the phone?

And thank you for the link. You have NO IDEA how much you just saved my ass!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
jessica. said:
I have a pocket PC phone, would that still fall under the use of the cell phone header if I'm not technically using the phone?

It is still emitting and receiving signals from the environment, so it's not allowed. We a nice lengthy discussion about some of the issues surrounding the use of electronics on airplanes about a month ago.

A few airlines are experimenting with in-flight internet access through their own systems that have the required shielding and other measures to protect against interference with flight controls, but they are mostly for long-haul flights (particularly trans-Pacific flights) for now. The technology will certainly eventually end up in most commercial planes, but it'll be a few years.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
Well I got a seat changed just now because of the seat guru site. And yes I am officially the only person who did not know about the site. Now onto buy a new battery, no power ports on all 4 planes!

Do I conserve more power using my ipod and itunes to play a move (run it from the ipod) or run it from the hard drive?

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
jessica. said:
Do I conserve more power using my ipod and itunes to play a move (run it from the ipod) or run it from the hard drive?
Powering the iPod would tax your battery more than the internal hard drive, i would think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.