Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
So recently I have decided that I want to start a blog, but there is a lot of way to go about doing this it seems these days. So I am looking for a good blogging application for my mac. Now I have .mac so i was hoping to use the server space they give you with this perhaps to do it. (but if this is not the best way to go I am open to other suggestions to.) Through a little bit of seaching on apple.com i found an app called blogwave studio. So I tried the free demo of it and it seems fine but it crashes on me every-time I try to make a post its weird (I am running tiger, perhaps this has to do with it.). I don't really know much html so i can't really just make my own site for a blog from the ground up, but I'd like to have a fair bit of freedom for what what ever I use.

thanks for any suggestions. :)

nekkets

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2004
macjournal? i am using the older freeware version. it does everything i need

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
nekkets said:
macjournal? i am using the older freeware version. it does everything i need

not sure, do you get FTP access to .mac? if you do then blogger allows you to ftp the blog over to whatever site you want via ftp. or did last i checked. I use WordPress with Ecto (do a version tracker search)

lordmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
DXoverDY said:
not sure, do you get FTP access to .mac? if you do then blogger allows you to ftp the blog over to whatever site you want via ftp. or did last i checked. I use WordPress with Ecto (do a version tracker search)

Hmm, im not sure about the Ftp, but ill look around, thanks for the suggestion. :)

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
http://radio.userland.com/

that could be an option too.. not sure if it'll work with .mac.. but $40 a year gets you the app + hosting ...

in fact i read something on free word press hosting.. brb looking..

http://www.modblog.com/

can't comment on how reliable they are but give it a shot :p

EDIT: after looking it's not wordpress based, i was given faulty info on that one.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
WordPress is good, but thats all I can say on the subject.. :)

This is a friends adapted WordPress... Here.

Little King

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2005
Shrewsbury, UK
WordPress Rocks!

^^ That's my blog! ^^

I'm not sure if it can be hosted on .Mac, because you will need access to an FTP or get hosting from somewhere for it. WordPress is possibly the best blogging system I have ever used. As another poster said, if used with the app Ecto, it is great. You can find different themes all over the net to suit your mood etc. As XIII said, I have modified my theme to suit my personal needs. :D

Ryan.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
If you want to host a nice blog the best thing to do is host your own domain (I recommend A Small Orange, you can sign up for a domain there as well). Then download Wordpress, it's easy to set up, has plenty of themes to help you along, lots of plug ins and an active community - oh and it's free!. You can then blog away. I also recommend checking out MarsEdit or Ecto for easy posting to your blog from your Mac.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
lordmac said:
So recently I have decided that I want to start a blog, but there is a lot of way to go about doing this it seems these days. So I am looking for a good blogging application for my mac. Now I have .mac so i was hoping to use the server space they give you with this perhaps to do it. (but if this is not the best way to go I am open to other suggestions to.) Through a little bit of seaching on apple.com i found an app called blogwave studio. So I tried the free demo of it and it seems fine but it crashes on me every-time I try to make a post its weird (I am running tiger, perhaps this has to do with it.). I don't really know much html so i can't really just make my own site for a blog from the ground up, but I'd like to have a fair bit of freedom for what what ever I use.

thanks for any suggestions. :)

You could use Blogger (from Google). I find it fairly easy to use. You can check out my blog. Just see my signature below this post.

I do however plan on changing the format soon.

lordmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Cool thanks for all the replies, wordpress looks interesting and quite a powerful tool I will have to look more deeply into it. I blog also looks fairly decent. :) I wonder if apple will ever do there own blogging service or app or something, Seems like something that they would be very good at making with all there other .mac services. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.