Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cvstos

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
Hey all. I'm finally getting a new phone. My old one is such an amazing piece of crap. I am NOT getting another Samsung phone, ever. I can reliably make it lose it's signal by placing it on my bed. I get zero reception almost everywhere. Voice mail alerts? I get them two or more days after the message is made. Text messaging? Yeah, right. Pictures or music? HAH! It doesn't even have a color screen.

I'm sick of this phone.

Sadly, I'm tied to whatever carrier my dad decides. Most likely, it'll be Verizon again. No iTunes phone for me!

That being said, that doesn't mean I should get a phone like this again. I don't think I can deal with having this horrible phone much longer.

I've been looking around online, and here's what I think I'll go with in the event my dad chooses any of the following carriers.

T-Mobile: ????
Cingular: Motorola V3 RAZR
Verizon: Motorola E815
Sprint: Get a separate plan that's not Sprint, no iSync phones available

I know a lot of people like the Moto A630 for T-Mobile, but I don't do text messaging enough to take advantage of that phone.

So my question is, are these good phones? Also, what phone would you recommend for T-Mobile's service?

I'm particularly looking for phones that can sync over bluetooth and have great reception.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
OMG, what is a Samsung a650? I had one of those and it got to hot while charging that it melted the screen. It would also burn my face cause it was so hot. JUNK.

I have the motorola v265 and it's really nice, you should look into that one. I think it's actually only $50 and then the 2nd one free, which is very good.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Sorry to the OP, I have a semi-related question... also using Verizon and I'm ready for a new phone because ITASOR, I know where you're coming from... I have the Samsung A-something (not camera capable) and that thing gets so hot! Ouchie. So I guess my question is-- is it worth the "free" upgrade even if it ties me down for another 2 years w/ this same contract and same phone (probably get a Motorolla E815, V265, or V710-- ooh, which one of these three, too?)?

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Personally i would go for the SOny Ericsson k750i had the pleasure of trying one out recently and have to say it is a great phone, it has a 2 million megapixel camera and all the other bell's and whistles, definatly the best phone on the market at the moment...

Out of yhe ones you have listed in your choice the V3 Razr is the best one there so opt for that if the k750i isnt available...

ShadOW :p

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
I've been very happy with Cingular, and I have Verizon-using friends who love it.

I have a Nokia 3120 on Cingular and the reception is pretty good -- though at home, I still prefer a Western Electric 500 or 554 on Qwest for flawless performance ;)

Caveant lectores: Since I don't use text messaging and don't give a hoot that I don't have a camera, my experience with the Nokia is based on using it a few minutes a month for voice. My ringtone is a WAV of an old phone ringing that I converted to AMR and datacabled (sadly, the data cable isn't Mac friendly :().

thumb

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
if you are going with verizon, get the e815. it really is great.

native support with iSync 2.1, Bluetooth, transflash memory, and best of all, it doesn't cost a fortune ($50 with contract and $220 or so w/o).

with a bit of minor "hacking" the phone can be used as a broadband modem (speeds faster than DSL), free WAP, and OBEX support. go to howardforums.com for more info.

cheers

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
devilot76 said:
Sorry to the OP, I have a semi-related question... also using Verizon and I'm ready for a new phone because ITASOR, I know where you're coming from... I have the Samsung A-something (not camera capable) and that thing gets so hot! Ouchie. So I guess my question is-- is it worth the "free" upgrade even if it ties me down for another 2 years w/ this same contract and same phone (probably get a Motorolla E815, V265, or V710-- ooh, which one of these three, too?)?

p72300151tk.jpg

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
Love the Razr's design. Hate the crappy os that it runs. I can't stand the horrid phone book most of all. It forces you to have multiple entries for the same person...home, work, mobile. It's truly a joke.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The Razr is overrated. Seriously. The novelty is nice, but its not worth the price.

The screen isn't the best (its not even good, IMO), the keypad is confusing and too much, and the menus are poorly designed as only Motorola can make it.

Sony-Ericssons have great and easy menu's, but they seem more fragile than Nokias or Moto's. They sync well with Mac's, though. Great screen's, too.

Nokia has some nice, and interesting phone designs, but they also have a lot of boring models.

I would get a SE K600 or K750, or a Nokia 6260 (I think) because they're cheaper now (although their screen is as bad as the Razr's, and who cares about the camera, really). The SE W800 is also good because it can play mp3s for 30hours if you turn the phone off and only use it as an mp3 player. :cool:

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
i agree completely. sony-ericcsons imo have a much better ui than motorola.
thinking about getting a sony-ericcson to replace my razr when my contract with t-mobile expires.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.