looking for a PB but....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Raidersmojo, Jul 3, 2005.

  1. Raidersmojo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2005
    Location:
    Burton michigan
    #1
    I am looking for a PB with a gig of ram, bluetooth and other bells and whistles to last me through college (by then the intel procs will be in full swing and I'll buy that)

    anyone think at MacWorld Boston they will release new iBooks and powerbooks?

    couldn't they max out the powerbook chip to 2 Ghz? (unlike the last crappy update) and throw in bluetooth?

    I highly doubt they would give the ibooks an update and make them match the powerbooks.
     
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

    CanadaRAM

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2004
    Location:
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    #2
    ??
    http://www.apple.com/powerbook/
    "Buy any PowerBook G4, and you get Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) wireless peripheral connectivity built in."
     
  3. RooX macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    #3
    last time i checked my 12" pb has the latest version of BT
     
  4. Raidersmojo thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2005
    Location:
    Burton michigan
    #4
    read it wrong

    yeah read incorrectly, sorry about that.

    anyone think they will raise the 1.67 ghz to 2.0? they have to do something to encourage sales of notebooks (besides the ipod thing)

    once again sorry for misreading the website, feel like an idiot
     
  5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

    mkrishnan

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2004
    Location:
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    #5
    (NVM -- you were editing while I was typing).

    BTW, Bluetooth (1.1, not 2.0) is also available on all iBook models as a built-to-order option. There are basically no devices now that do anything tremendously useful with BT2, and there probably won't be for another year or so.

    As for 2GHz.... dunno. Anything is possible, I guess. I don't know what the power consumption and heat generation of the G4/2GHz is like.
     
  6. runninmac macrumors 65816

    runninmac

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    Location:
    Rockford MI
    #6
    There wont be anything updated at boston (im 99.9999% sure). The next time these things could be updated is at the Paris Expo (thats when the Back to School promotion ends) Or they just might get a small speed bump sometime this summer.
     
  7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

    grapes911

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2003
    Location:
    Citizens Bank Park
    #7
    All other things equal, the jump from 1.67 to 2.0 would barely be noticeable unless you are doing extremely processor intensive calculations/encodeing/etc. If you want a PB, just buy it. The longer you wait, the longer you don't have it.
     
  8. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #8
    There is always a possibility that Apple could update at the July 7th news conference. Otherwise it think you might as well go ahead and purchase now. It just depends on how soon you need the PB. There could be a delay on shipping if one is released in September. So your need would dictate the decision.
     

Share This Page