Looking for constructive criticism

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by mynameisraj, Aug 4, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502

Nov 14, 2008
    Boulder, Colorado

I posted about my site a while ago but it has recently undergone a series of changes.

I switched over to a CSS framework (I had spent way to much time figuring out the layout with floats) and with that I created a minimalist typography based design.

The main problem I'm having is the typography itself. I don't see it looking too great but I would not like to go the logo route (making a logo is too time-consuming).

I'm also having some other issues:
    1) the icons under each post are misaligned.
    2) the border on top of the footer is way off.
    3) the dotted borders under the small headings end in a weird dot structure.
    4) I need of a color scheme to separate the content from the background.

I would love it if I could get some constructive criticism - I really don't need to know what looks good as much as I need to know what looks bad. If you see anything in the source that looks odd, please shout out. Thanks!

2. macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    -The Tweet tab is kind of cool, but you've also got a twitter thing in the right-hand column. Seems a little redundant. I also don't really like how the tweet tab stays fixed in the middle of the window.

-The main content area seems a little wide to me.

-Post titles are a little small. At first glance, it's a little hard to tell where one post ends and the next begins, since you've got a bunch of links one after the other (the tags, comments, next post title).

-The HTML validator returns 3 errors.
  3. macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2007
    There's not much of a "design" for me to critique, but I would say add some definition between posts, and I strongly recommend some slightly different backgrounds to differentiate and focus the eye (for instance, a light grey on the sidebar.)
  4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 14, 2008
    Boulder, Colorado
    I have fixed the validation issue and restyled the post titles.

I don't know how to add in a border between posts, so if someone can help me with that on wordpress that would be great.