Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

auralae

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Does anyone have or know where I can download the developer tools for OS 10.1.x?

I am trying to install GIMP on the laptops that my organization is borrowing for its summer camp program. The laptops are iBook G3s running OS 10.1.3/10.1.5. Since we are borrowing the laptops, upgrading to 10.2 is not an option. So, I need a C compiler to help put fink and xfree86 on the laptops because there are no precompiled GIMP binaries for 10.1.x. I found out that the C compiler that I need (gcc I think) is included in Apple's Developer Tools for 10.1. Unfortunately the developer tools for 10.1 (the April 2002 version) is no longer available for download from Apple.

Please help...

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
hmmm would they be on the system restore cds? i have 10.1 system restore cds in my closet...not in the mood to look, but if you think they are on there, i could let it u/l overnight.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
auralae said:
Does anyone have or know where I can download the developer tools for OS 10.1.x?

I am trying to install GIMP on the laptops that my organization is borrowing for its summer camp program. The laptops are iBook G3s running OS 10.1.3/10.1.5. Since we are borrowing the laptops, upgrading to 10.2 is not an option. So, I need a C compiler to help put fink and xfree86 on the laptops because there are no precompiled GIMP binaries for 10.1.x. I found out that the C compiler that I need (gcc I think) is included in Apple's Developer Tools for 10.1. Unfortunately the developer tools for 10.1 (the April 2002 version) is no longer available for download from Apple.

Please help...
You mean that this doesn't exist?

auralae

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Developer Tools for 10.1 (not 10.2/10.3)

I heard that the dev tools for 10.1 are on the 10.2 CD -- which I do not have. I do not believe that they are on the 10.1 system restore CDs. Thanks, though for the offer Brian.

MacGIMP (the page linked to) requires X11 and the developer tools... basically OS 10.3. I have 10.1.3 and 10.1.5 machines. As I mentioned before, since we are borrowing the laptops, upgrading the OS to 10.2 or 10.3 is not an option.

Similarly, Gimp.app (another precompiled version of GIMP) requires X11... great if I had 10.3... or a possibility with 10.2... not compatible with 10.1 :(.

Thanks for the help though.

Any other suggestions?

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
unfortunately, i never bought 10.2, so i don't have those cds. couldn't you contact the organization you are borrowing these from and discuss upgrading to 10.2 (its only $20..) other than that i don't know what to tell you, but if your so worried about upgrading because they're borrowed, won't they be upset for adding applications?

hope you figure something out.

auralae

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
The organization we are borrowing the computers from understood that we would be adding some software to the computers. The agreement was that as long as the computers were restored back to their original states, whatever we do should be fine.

$400+ (licenses for 18 computers), however, was not in either organization's budgets to update the os or purchase software. So, open source was my organization's best bet for relatively robust image manipulation software.

If the dev tools for 10.1 are no longer out there (if GIMP is no longer an option) does anyone know of other image manipulation program alternatives?

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
Have you tried writing to Apple and ask for the Developer Tools? Since you have (lots) of valid licenses, they should be able to help you.

Also, XDarwin is an X11 server that is compatible with 10.1 (at least they say that on the homepage).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.