Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
miloblithe said:
You seem to be ignoring definition number one there, which would be the use that I'm supporting.

Obviously, the word can be used either way, to mean that the D70s made the D70 obsolete, or to mean that as long as it still performs its function, it's not obsolete.

Are we getting in a definition arguement? Your logic makes the two definitions contradict each other. If something fits any definition of obsolete, it is obsolete. The term obsolete is not a derogatory term. It just describes the age of something (years, technolgy models, whatever).

miloblithe said:
As for the upgrading, it's depends on disposable income and priorities. For some people, having the latest and greatest is more important than whatever else they could spend that money on. For others, they buy something nice hoping to use it for years while they spend money on other things in the meantime. And there's every shade in between. As someone who likes to buy every few years, I shake my head at people who want to upgrade with each revision in a product line. Those same people shake their heads at me and my, for example, 15 year old 19" Sony TV.

Is that not what I said? Its your money, you can decide what you want to do with it.

miloblithe said:
Edit: I would define obsolete as "unusable," not as "not the most recent revision." Obsolete digital cameras are ones that recorded to floppy disk. No DSLR in existence is obsolete. You can take pictures with them.

You can still take pictures with the floppy disk cameras.

Your own personal definition of obsolete is not valid. Otherwise anybody can make up their own "definition" of any word and the world would be a mess.

Bows and arrows were made obsolete by the rifle (obsolete?). The bow and arrow is still useful (not obsolete?).

Regarding the orignial post:
If $550 is all you have to spend, I would suggest either a super zoom P&S camera or waiting a little to save up enough money to get a better start into dSLRs (highly recommend going this route). If you have a budget of $1000, you can spend about $800 initially and then spend the rest a few weeks later when you have a better feel of what you want/need.

If you are really wanting a dSLR now, the Pentax *ist line can be found for less than $500 (including kit lenses).

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
beavo451 said:
Are we getting in a definition arguement? Your logic makes the two definitions contradict each other. If something fits any definition of obsolete, it is obsolete. The term obsolete is not a derogatory term. It just describes the age of something (years, technolgy models, whatever).

Ooohh. Arguing about definitions! What fun! :)

I'm just saying, the D70 is not obsolete according to the first definition. It's still in use and is useful for its intended purpose.

beavo451 said:
You can still take pictures with the floppy disk cameras.

Maybe, but I'd have no way of transfering the files to my computer.

beavo451 said:
Your own personal definition of obsolete is not valid. Otherwise anybody can make up their own "definition" of any word and the world would be a mess.

Well, first of all I'm hardly making up a definition, I'm using the first one from whatever you quoted. And second of all, lets not have this turn into a debate on structuralism and post-structuralism.

beavo451 said:
Bows and arrows were made obsolete by the rifle (obsolete?). The bow and arrow is still useful (not obsolete?).

A bow and arrow is obsolete for modern warfare. A bow and arrow is not obsolete for an archery competition.

revfife

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
In a far country
It is pointless to argue over definitions...what everyone is trying to say is don't wait:

I have a Nikon D100 that has served me well for several years and is still serving me well. Is it obsolete? Yes by a few models now...D70, D50, D2H, D70s, D200, and now D80.

Do any of these cameras take anything away from my D100?
Maybe a few megapixels, but Nikon has also taken things away as well. I can shoot in TIFF mode, unless I am mistaken you can't do that with any of the newer cameras.

The D100 is a good camera with a metal body that has taken some great shots for me, shots I wouldn't be taking if I was waiting for the next model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.