Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2003
California
In a couple of months I plan on moving to Southern California and am trying to think of some ways to find a place to live online (aside from a newspaper). Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I think CraigsList is handy for this... often times they post photos, too.

Catmanrog

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2006
Oakland, California
Why Southern California ?

Why move there is the BIG question. If new employment makes you go, then try to talk them out of the move. Southern Calif freeways and air quality are terrible. If you're going to make surfboards and live at the beach, it's a good move. Otherwise, rethink life in the fast lane, stopped or crawling for hours bumper to bumper, while on your cell phone. That's not living....:cool:

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
Yeah really why SoCal? Yes there are some nice places, but overall its a nightmare down there. I would move back to San Diego but thats about it.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Catmanrog said:
Why move there is the BIG question. If new employment makes you go, then try to talk them out of the move. Southern Calif freeways and air quality are terrible. If you're going to make surfboards and live at the beach, it's a good move. Otherwise, rethink life in the fast lane, stopped or crawling for hours bumper to bumper, while on your cell phone. That's not living....:cool:
Heh! That's funny coming from someone who lists their location as OakTown...

:D

To the OP - Try Craigslist. Tons of SoCal listings if you're thinking of living anywhere from Santa Barbara to San Diego.

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
Catmanrog said:

That's soo funny. That is what us SoCal people say about you NoCal people :)

Personally, I won't drive to SanFran in my own car anymore. Damn people up there have no respect for nice cars. Freaky traffic, people running lights all the time, double parking, backing into your car to fit into a space that is too small.

Out here is the 'burbs live is nice. It's quiet and clear. We are 1 hour from the beach, 1 hour from the snow, 1 hour from Disneyland, 1 hour from Magic Mountain.

Anyway - check out the "inland empire". I'm in Alta Loma, directly north of the Ontario Airport.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Transeau said:
Personally, I won't drive to SanFran in my own car anymore. Damn people up there have no respect for nice cars. Freaky traffic, people running lights all the time, double parking, backing into your car to fit into a space that is too small.
LOL! And LA drivers are better? Puhleeze!

Catmanrog

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2006
Oakland, California
Alta Loma versus Oakland

I fought being moved south for 2 years, but finally gave in. My bride to be lived in Crestline. I moved from Alta Loma (Church Avenue) to the Oakland hills when I retired. I did like Alta Loma (real name Cucamonga) and flew out of Ontario on business a lot. The air quality and traffic got to me. Having Archibald turn into a river with rain water a foot deep and Santa Ana winds filling my back yard with tumbleweeds off the railway line was interesting....:D

That's soo funny. That is what us SoCal people say about you NoCal people :)

Out here is the 'burbs live is nice. It's quiet and clear. We are 1 hour from the beach, 1 hour from the snow, 1 hour from Disneyland, 1 hour from Magic Mountain.

Anyway - check out the "inland empire". I'm in Alta Loma, directly north of the Ontario Airport.[/QUOTE]

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2003
California
Many thanks! I appreciate the input! And the reason Im moving down there, and alot of you will probably think Im crazy, is because I want to get into acting. I mean seriously pursue it. Yeah sure life won't exactly be easy i won't doubt, but I have to try. And I don't plan on dropping out of college or anything (continue going to a JC down there).

Also I think it's funny I started somewhat of a flamewar between NorCal and SoCal :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.