Looking for software that logs incoming/outgoing traffic

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Cined, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Cined, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm looking for a software package that will log all incoming and outgoing traffic on my network.

I aim to have a monitor setup with a realtime log of this traffic in order to monitor it constantly.

Is there any software that's capable of this out there that's friendly with a mac?

Thanks.

(Am using an Airport Extreme as a router).

2. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. macrumors 6502

Not quite sure exactly what you want to log.

You can get a summary of the volume of network traffic that has passed through your router since it started up, from the router itself.

Or do you want a performance monitoring tool, to also see the current bandwidth consumption, with a history of the bandwidth consumption ? OS X Server can probaby do this for you in enough detail.

Or do you want a network log ? logging all network activity, from which Mac to whatever IP Address and back again, the port used and the date / time ?

Or surely you don't want to log all the network traffic ?

Or was it something else ? Perhaps only HTTP traffic from the Mac Server ?

4. macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Netflow

I think you want a tool like netflow the only problem is the Airport doesn't export flow data. The best I thing you are going to be able to see it how much data is being sent and received via snmp.

5. macrumors member

not sure if it does logs but I find Little Snitch quite useful for monitoring network traffic in OSX