Looking for software that logs incoming/outgoing traffic

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Cined, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Cined, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

macrumors newbie

Dec 7, 2010

I'm looking for a software package that will log all incoming and outgoing traffic on my network.

I aim to have a monitor setup with a realtime log of this traffic in order to monitor it constantly.

Is there any software that's capable of this out there that's friendly with a mac?

(Am using an Airport Extreme as a router).
  2. Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
  3. macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2009
    Not quite sure exactly what you want to log.

You can get a summary of the volume of network traffic that has passed through your router since it started up, from the router itself.

Or do you want a performance monitoring tool, to also see the current bandwidth consumption, with a history of the bandwidth consumption ? OS X Server can probaby do this for you in enough detail.

Or do you want a network log ? logging all network activity, from which Mac to whatever IP Address and back again, the port used and the date / time ?

Or surely you don't want to log all the network traffic ?

Or was it something else ? Perhaps only HTTP traffic from the Mac Server ?
  4. macrumors demi-god

Aug 11, 2003

I think you want a tool like netflow the only problem is the Airport doesn't export flow data. The best I thing you are going to be able to see it how much data is being sent and received via snmp.
  5. macrumors member

Oct 6, 2009
    not sure if it does logs but I find Little Snitch quite useful for monitoring network traffic in OSX