Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B Gallagher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
Hello all,

I was down visiting my parent's house recently, and before I left my mum asked me if there was any way they can listen to the songs they have in her iTunes library on their stereo in the lounge.

She's running a PC, and, unfortunately, where the stereo in the lounge is falls just outside of the range of their wireless network.

Initially, I was looking at setting up something with Airport Express, but I'm guessing that in this case I'd first need to set up another device to extend the range of the wireless network, right? From what I can see Time Capsule can work as a wireless extender, but Airport Express can't.

Also, I would really like my parents to have some way to control what songs iTunes is playing through their stereo. The stereo's also right next to the TV, so I was thinking they could use an Apple TV as a visual interface to control what iTunes is streaming through their TV. I'm not sure if this is a very elegant solution though. The alternative would be to buy the cheapest iPod touch I could find, and install Remote.app, but this seems like a bit of overkill when all they want is to stream their music.

Can anyone off any advice or suggestions on what might be a good way to set something like this up? Many thanks. :)

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
The AppleTV is the best solution in this case. AirPort Express is great but if they don't have an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad to control the music via Remote App, they will have to keep going back to the computer and control it in iTunes.

AppleTV's interface will allow for them to control the music right from their TV set. Their computer will have to be powered on and iTunes needs to be open.

If possible, it would be best if the wireless router is moved closer to the lounge area, so that the AppleTV can pick up the wireless signal without the need for another device to extend the range.

All the other features in AppleTV will be added bonuses for them.

Another simpler solution: load their music into an iPod (Nano or Classic) and plug it into the auxiliary audio input of their stereo.

Last edited:

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I think the Apple TV idea sounds great. You could also set it up to show their photos in the screen saver, to give it an "extra edge" :)

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
You should probably solve the wireless range problem while you are at it. Is there current router 802.11n or the older 802.11g? You can get a new router (N) for less then $60 and the AppleTV supports N. That might just give you the extra range needed. Also, I have Verizon FIOS for Internet and TV and it has built-in MoCa (ethernet over Cable). For one of my rooms I got a device that adds ethernet to a room that I did not already have ethernet wired and did not want to go wireless. I think this new MoCa is pretty good for adding wired ethernet though-out the house.

I would definitely get the ATV over the express since you have a TV next to the stereo.

Tha Professor

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2009
The Mothership
Check if your parents' router supports WDS, Airport Express knows how to extend WDS networks. i am looking in such a solution right about now. However someone pointed out well that without a Remote App on their iOS device, your mum would have to be running to her computer so skip songs....

ATV2 would be neat but you would still need maybe a simple Wi-Fi Repeater. But hey, having wi-fi in a lounge is almost a must:)

B Gallagher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
Hi all,

Thank you very much for your replies and helpful advice, I really appreciate it!

I'll need to look into the wireless situation a bit more! From what I know I think they're just using a Wi-Fi router their ISP gave them a while back. It only supports a, b, and g (not n), and doesn't support WDS either! :(

I had briefly considered the idea of getting them an iPod to plug into their stereo via RCA, but since they would never actually use this as a portable music play it seems a bit of overkill to me. I prefer the AppleTV idea, at least that way it has extra functionality which they would be much more likely to use in the future.

My biggest problem is that both their TV and stereo are not digital - meaning that the inputs are only S-Video or RCA, and I'd need to separate the audio and video cables. Do any of you know if it's possible to buy an adapter or something to down sample HDMI to RCA?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.