Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2003
I am looking to get a laptop. I currently go to school for networking and while I get by fine, I feel I have become very unknowledgeable of windows since switching to mac. I am debating on buying a pc laptop, but have no idea what kind to specifically look at. I am looking to spend $700-$1000 on one possibly.

I was thinking of buying a macbook and installing windows but if I had os x on the computer, I would just end up running parallel on it. I was looking at IBM Thinkpads, Toshiba and HP laptops, and I am looking for some advice them.

macjay

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2003
Since an Intel Mac laptop gives you the best of both worlds, that's what I would recommend.

Frankf300

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2006
NY
If I was you I would go for an Intel Mac since you can still run Windows or OS X. I see you had Toshiba listed there, from MY personal experience I would say do not go with a Toshiba. I had a Toshiba Satellite A35 and it was probably one of the most unstable systems I've ever worked on. I went through about 3 hard drives and an optical drive. The computer was stable for maybe the first 3 months I had it, after that it all went down hill. I upgraded RAM in it also and Windows never ran smooth, it was always lagging and slowing up. That was a 2.3 ghz Pentium 4. Of course that was my experience with Toshiba, if I had to go for a Windows only system I would go Dell or Sony. Granted Toshiba may be a lot better now, but my experience with their machines was not a good one. As a matter of fact I just had it stripped down to see if I could fix some hard drive issues the other day and decided it wasn't worth my time anymore, so it's sitting in the laptop case under the bed :D . If you can swing it, I'd say Intel Mac. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.