Looking to buy a laptop.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sideonecincy, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

Sep 29, 2003
    I am looking to get a laptop. I currently go to school for networking and while I get by fine, I feel I have become very unknowledgeable of windows since switching to mac. I am debating on buying a pc laptop, but have no idea what kind to specifically look at. I am looking to spend $700-$1000 on one possibly.

I was thinking of buying a macbook and installing windows but if I had os x on the computer, I would just end up running parallel on it. I was looking at IBM Thinkpads, Toshiba and HP laptops, and I am looking for some advice them.
  2. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

Feb 20, 2007
    North Dakota
  3. macjay macrumors 6502

Oct 3, 2003
    Since an Intel Mac laptop gives you the best of both worlds, that's what I would recommend.
  4. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Oct 15, 2006
    If I was you I would go for an Intel Mac since you can still run Windows or OS X. I see you had Toshiba listed there, from MY personal experience I would say do not go with a Toshiba. I had a Toshiba Satellite A35 and it was probably one of the most unstable systems I've ever worked on. I went through about 3 hard drives and an optical drive. The computer was stable for maybe the first 3 months I had it, after that it all went down hill. I upgraded RAM in it also and Windows never ran smooth, it was always lagging and slowing up. That was a 2.3 ghz Pentium 4. Of course that was my experience with Toshiba, if I had to go for a Windows only system I would go Dell or Sony. Granted Toshiba may be a lot better now, but my experience with their machines was not a good one. As a matter of fact I just had it stripped down to see if I could fix some hard drive issues the other day and decided it wasn't worth my time anymore, so it's sitting in the laptop case under the bed :D . If you can swing it, I'd say Intel Mac. :apple:
  5. crazycat macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2005
    I will 2nd that.