Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Barhen

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
I am hoping to get some advice on a Hard drive to get today..
It would be for my rmbp and my roommates' mac mini. We plan to share it so we were wondering whats the best way to do this?

External plugged into one of our machines? usb3.0? TB? or plugged into our router as lan? Putting it on the network or however it works. I am new to "network drives" and was wondering the best way to do this..we aren't looking to spend more than $100..

If it can keep backups of both of our machines, that is a plus too but mostly we both want extra space.. (she is running on 128SSD and I am on 256SSD)

Thanks!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Good luck with finding a NAS for $100:p

If your router has USB you it might be possible to use that, but I think the best way here is to get a USB 3 HD and backup separately or share the drive from one to the other computer.
If you choose lets say a 1 TB drive you should partition it as two 500 GB partitions so each has it's own.
Would be easier for TimeMachine as well if you use it.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
If you can find $35 somewhere between your couch cushions, the 2TB Western Digital Live NAS is an option.
61e2sw6jbgL.jpg

There's also a 2TB Iomega NAS hard drive for $99, but it doesn't have the cool cloud features (Dropbox integration) of the Western Digital, so you can't access files on the go from your smartphone etc.

Barhen

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Good luck with finding a NAS for $100:p

If your router has USB you it might be possible to use that, but I think the best way here is to get a USB 3 HD and backup separately or share the drive from one to the other computer.
If you choose lets say a 1 TB drive you should partition it as two 500 GB partitions so each has it's own.
Would be easier for TimeMachine as well if you use it.

Would this mean we would both have to plug it in and pass it back and forth to store stuff/run backup etc?

----------

If you can find $35 somewhere between your couch cushions, the 2TB Western Digital Live NAS is an option.
61e2sw6jbgL.jpg

This looks great, thanks for the link... is this a good way of doing what we want? backups and storage for 2 different users at same time?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

There's also a 2TB Iomega NAS hard drive for $99, but it doesn't have the cool cloud features (Dropbox integration) of the Western Digital, so you can't access files on the go from your smartphone etc.

A 2 TB NAS for $99, WOW, that seems to be a good deal, I thought they were much more expensive, must have been asleep for a few years.:eek:

Barhen

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
slighty off-topic but semi-related

sharing a NAS between 2 users, what's the best way to setup timemachine (which I assume is like windows' restore) for both machines?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
slighty off-topic but semi-related

sharing a NAS between 2 users, what's the best way to setup timemachine (which I assume is like windows' restore) for both machines?

Assuming the NAS supports using Time Machine, you just connect the NAS to the network then when you turn on TM on each machine you just point to the NAS drive as the backup destination and TM takes care of the rest. TM will put the backups for each machine inside a sparse bundle image named for that machine and there will be no conflict.

xnatex

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
61e2sw6jbgL.jpg

I have this, and it's awesome! Do yourself do backups via Ethernet instead of wifi. It's obviously way faster. You can also create different "shares" on it and password protect each one individually. The web interface that it has is also extremely easy to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.