Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
i've been researching building a new PC (don't worry i'm a hybrid guy, and nothing could replace my powerbook), and will most likely use the small shuttle form factor. I need the power for Audio Apps, and can't afford a G5 - go figure.

anyways i came across this barbone case with motherboard...
sb75s.jpg

there are more images of the inside and outside at: http://www.sfftech.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=509&pid=1897

On my balancing scale of Mac vs. PC, Mac could always claim better design... but it looks like Shuttle and other small form factor companies are evening the playing field. Of course the biggest weight on that scale is OSX ;)

All of that said... i'm going to go with this one, because i found a refurb.
st61g4b.jpg

and in the end, i'll have G5 power (minus OSX) for my VST's for $700 (P4 3ghz HT, 800FSB, 1GB Kingston DDR3200, 8xDVDR, 80gb SATA)

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
adamjay said:
... and will most likely use the small shuttle form factor.
I just migrated from a Shuttle. It got too hot, and I couldn't OC particularly well. The VGA card was right next to the edge of the case, too, so it made a helluva racket.
If you plan on having 2 HDDs, forget about it. They're sandwiched, and therefore create unbelievable amounts of heat.

Having said that, they are pretty, and useful if you want to save space. I do wish, though, Shuttle would go back to sticking with a few core designs. It seems over the past 6 months they've come up with 7 or so new shells. I had an old 'G' case, but the 'G2' was fairly nice too. Now there are all sorts of variations, the line used to be so well organised... there was an opportunity to offer some motherboard upgradeability with G and G2, but now... feh...

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
i was warned about the heat from a friend of mine who is on his 3rd case, which is the black one above... so far its the one that has stayed coolest and he's sticking with it.
also he's about 8 degrees celcius cooler by using a Northwood instead of Prescott P4. Hasn't had any problems with 2 HD's in Stipe 1 Raid, been running that for 2 months. So i'll just use him as my beta tester and learn from his mistakes, what to buy, what not to buy.

i agree that they've almost saturated things with a ton of different cases, but i also understand it. alot more gamers are buying these (easier to take a shoe box to a LAN party than a tower), and they all want to look different in the end, go figure. it would be nice if there was more compatibility though.

i also see that Shuttle is offering prebuilt systems, and will be selling a 17" portable LCD this year... would be nice if they could crack into the Dood you're getting a Dell market.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
adamjay said:
i was warned about the heat from a friend of mine who is on his 3rd case, which is the black one above...
Yeah. I guess I'm just old-school - 6-pin FW and no freaking useless card reader! heh... a little diversity can only be good for their market, with all these clones coming out Shuttle need to keep at the front. It's just they could have done it with a little forethought. If it suits you (and it sounds like you've done your homework!), then best of luck. I'm just being awkward ;)

Anyway... you'll see a fair boost to your folding effort, wish I still had a Northwood P4. Nice and quick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.