Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Has Palo Alto preserved the garage where HP got started?

I think Silicon Valley should preserve these important garages.

I found this...
http://www.retireat21.com/blog/10-companies-started-garages

The property is a Palo Alto city landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Not just the garage but the property.

----------

Good thing the house is still in the Jobs family.

I would hate to think how it would feel to find out one day that the house you've been living in has suddenly been declared a "historic resource" by the city.

I wasn't sudden, they've been studying this for years.

----------

Don't forget gradients! :p

You forgot the parallax effect.

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
This is nice to hear. Good for them. I just hope they didn't do it to attract tourism in that area. Probably not though.

The house is owned by Sister Jobs but is anyone living in it still?

Lickinstick

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2013
That house should made UNESCO heritage and other people should be evicted so no disturbance occurs.

it is a special house and must be respected.

You are the best Steve and Tim makes good phones too.

Justan00b

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2013
Thank you... Geez. It's a house.

Did I insinuate it was a breadbox??
*confused*

Tell the people that want it shipped to a museum that "It's a house".... Also, that moving it loses a lot of the nostalgia or whatever factor interests people in this. Obviously, it's not a work of art- it's just "where Steve grew up".

Last edited:

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Clever comment!!!!
Did I insinuate it was a breadbox??
*confused*

Tell the people that want it shipped to a museum that "It's a house".... Also, that moving it loses a lot of the nostalgia or whatever factor interests people in this. Obviously, it's not a work of art- it's just "where Steve grew up". They seem to be the ones befuddled, NOT me.
I do apologize if my comment confused you. I'm off work today. PM me if you need ANY other posts or big words explained, I'm feeling magnanimous.

You insinuated that it's someone's house and they deserve to do with it what they please. Just because a famous person grew up there and made a computer in the garage doesn't change the grounds of private property.

It's not a breadbox, it's a house where a family lives and calls home. It's not the target of a bunch of fanboys running a local municipality to use government fiat to place restrictions on their home.

THATS my point.

brunerd

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2009
Chicago
Next...

"I think if you do something and it turns out pretty good, then you should go do something else wonderful, not dwell on it for too long. Just figure out what’s next."

This might apply to ranch style houses too.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
With the way some people revere him, if you didn't know any better you'd think Steve Jobs was the reincarnation of Jesus Christ.

Justan00b

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2013
You insinuated that it's someone's house and they deserve to do with it what they please. Just because a famous person grew up there and made a computer in the garage doesn't change the grounds of private property.

It's not a breadbox, it's a house where a family lives and calls home. It's not the target of a bunch of fanboys running a local municipality to use government fiat to place restrictions on their home.

THATS my point.

Gotcha. My bad.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Only not.
That link shows it NOT FOR SALE.
Also, the estimated price is based on value of neighboring homes & doesn't account for this being the "birthplace" of Apple Inc.

"Yours for probably 100 million" is probably closer to what the current residents (Job's sister) would say.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I don't know what this even means. So it's still a free market house that can be bought and sold but the owners are restricted as to what they can do to it? Who the hell would want to buy it? :eek:

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Jobs needs a statue!

He does! In Budapest.

6a00d8341c630a53ef01675f1c0508970b-800wi

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
These things are always a let down.

They could just pick any house on the block. It wouldn't matter.

The guys themselves and the things they did were the cool part. The empty joe blow house one of them grew up in was nothing special.

Things feel empy without the people behind them. Like all the guitars I saw on the wall at a hard rock cafe. who cares.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Only not.
That link shows it NOT FOR SALE.
Also, the estimated price is based on value of neighboring homes & doesn't account for this being the "birthplace" of Apple Inc.

Wow, just wow... Real estate prices in Los Altos are INSANE!!

These aren't even mansions, just regular single-family homes, and not a single one is less than $1M.

cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
If she does decide to remodel then the additional layer of review would almost certainly mandate a thinning of the design

But the next update should make a safari in the backyard snappier!

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Just because a famous person grew up there and made a computer in the garage doesn't change the grounds of private property.

Actually, it does.

Many houses have land which you OWN, but can't use - called easements. Many people live in old houses ('historical') with things, by law, they can and cannot do. They have to get approval to change features of the house, or to tear it down.

For example, people who live on the beach in the United States, and that beach is also a 'outside border' of the United States, like in California or Florida, do NOT have exclusive rights to their beach. The public is allowed access to it.

cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
He does! In Budapest.

Are you sure that's not a statue of the creepy child molester, Stephen Jobes?

----------

That house should made UNESCO heritage and other people should be evicted so no disturbance occurs.

it is a special house and must be respected.

You are the best Steve and Tim makes good phones too.

I know one MR regular that wishes that Scott Forestall's childhood home was turned into a shrine.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT

THATS my point.

You are aware that there are considerable limits on what one can do with private property. Try living anywhere there is a homeowner's association. Or try parking a bunch of broken down, rusty cars in your front yard and see how much freedom you have to do what you want with your property.

And I'll bet most people here would be fairly upset if some corporation wanted to take a historic landmark in any downtown and knock it down to make more parking space.

That's part of a city council's responsibility; to preserve historic architecture and places from being destroyed. You and I may disagree about whether Job's home deserves the designation (we probably don't as I think it's kind of silly), but I think if you consider it you will agree that someone needs to try to preserve property that has historic and cultural significance. If not, all we will be left with is ugly strip malls.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Actually, it does.

Many houses have land which you OWN, but can't use - called easements. Many people live in old houses ('historical') with things, by law, they can and cannot do. They have to get approval to change features of the house, or to tear it down.

For example, people who live on the beach in the United States, and that beach is also a 'outside border' of the United States, like in California or Florida, do NOT have exclusive rights to their beach. The public is allowed access to it.

I understand. I own a house. I just don't believe a house should be deemed "historical" because a guy born not 56 yrs ago lived here who happened to make a computer in the garage tossing my rights as a property owner go out the window. I understand they want to prevent bulldozing it down... that I get. But I doubt they can't even so much as put a lawn ornament without having to go through the red tape and long painstaking practice of getting approval.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

THATS my point.

If so, it's a pretty weak point. I suppose you are imagining that local governments don't place restriction on private property, or that it's somehow wrong that they do. Hard to tell.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
You are aware that there are considerable limits on what one can do with private property. Try living anywhere there is a homeowner's association. Or try parking a bunch of broken down, rusty cars in your front yard and see how much freedom you have to do what you want with your property.

And I'll bet most people here would be fairly upset if some corporation wanted to take a historic landmark in any downtown and knock it down to make more parking space.

That's part of a city council's responsibility; to preserve historic architecture and places from being destroyed. You and I may disagree about whether Job's home deserves the designation (we probably don't as I think it's kind of silly), but I think if you consider it you will agree that someone needs to try to preserve property that has historic and cultural significance. If not, all we will be left with is ugly strip malls.

I was speaking strictly on the topic of Job's house. I have owned homes since 1999 and know plenty about the topic. HOA is agreed upon at the sale of the house. Some local government coming in and telling me my house is historical because a famous guy lived there wouldn't be something I'd take too nicely if it meant I couldn't remodel my house as I saw fit according to local HOA regulations and building requirements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.