Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theXid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2023
Hey everyone, I often find myself losing track of what I'd been thinking about or working on in any given project because iPadOS does not have the ability to lock (a combination of) windows in place in either the App Switcher or Stage Manager, in a way you might with Spaces in Mission Control on macOS or simply on a computer desktop. How do others using an iPad as their main or secondary device deal with this caveat?

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Hey everyone, I often find myself losing track of what I'd been thinking about or working on in any given project because iPadOS does not have the ability to lock (a combination of) windows in place in either the App Switcher or Stage Manager, in a way you might with Spaces in Mission Control on macOS or simply on a computer desktop. How do others using an iPad as their main or secondary device deal with this caveat?
I don’t understand what you mean, with Stage Manager you can have multiple app windows open at once. When you want to create another group of windows, you can open a new stage and create a new group of windows, and then you can just switch back to the other stage if you need one of those app windows. I’m pretty sure there’s even keyboard shortcuts for toggling through recent app windows.

theXid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2023
But when you want to open a new window of the same app in another stage, it will instead open an existing window, messing up the setup of the stage you were previously working in - right?
I just want things to remain in the same place. That makes it easier to jump back in after a couple hours or days.

I have to say I usually have SM turned off because I don't want to sacrifice screen real estate and fiddle around with window sizes and placement all of the time. Also don't have proper external monitor support on my 2018 IPP to make it worth a try.

Instead, I use Shortcuts to create a few specific window arrangements I use a lot. How do others set up their multitasking?

Reactions: Kal Madda

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
But when you want to open a new window of the same app in another stage, it will instead open an existing window, messing up the setup of the stage you were previously working in - right?
I just want things to remain in the same place. That makes it easier to jump back in after a couple hours or days.

I have to say I usually have SM turned off because I don't want to sacrifice screen real estate and fiddle around with window sizes and placement all of the time. Also don't have proper external monitor support on my 2018 IPP to make it worth a try.

Instead, I use Shortcuts to create a few specific window arrangements I use a lot. How do others set up their multitasking?
Most iPad apps support multiple windows of the same app, so what you can do to avoid just dragging your app window from another stage, is you can hold press or right click on the icon of the app you’re wanting to create a new window for, and press “Show All Windows”. Then there’s a little plus button in the top left corner above the row of windows of that app. Click that plus button and it creates a new window. I know it’s a bit more complicated, especially if you’re used to Mac’s default behavior of opening a new app window when you click the app icon of an app. I hope they make the process easier, it used to be easier in iPadOS 15, all you had to do then was hold-press the app icon, and select an option like “New Window”, or something like that. But that’s how I get around that. Hopefully that helps you out. 👍🏻.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.