Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freerollin

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Thanks for all the advise guys! Going to check the membership of the local swimming pool later on, as swimming is fairly enjoyable-although very shy about being seen shirtless

I just wanted to add the team weight lifting talk, it's impossible to build muscle and lose weight, since you need an excess calorie intake the gain and build the muscle. Turning fat into muscle is like turning water into wine

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Thanks for all the advise guys! Going to check the membership of the local swimming pool later on, as swimming is fairly enjoyable-although very shy about being seen shirtless

I just wanted to add the team weight lifting talk, it's impossible to build muscle and lose weight, since you need an excess calorie intake the gain and build the muscle. Turning fat into muscle is like turning water into wine

Muscle is denser than fat, so if you replace the same volume of fat with muscle it'll be heavier. I wouldn't worry much about your weight but your percentage body fat. I imagine the goal is to be healthy not simply weigh less.

Also: drink water, not wine. ;)

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
In a technical sense, you would be correct; you need to fuel your body to a certain extent in order to gain muscle. However, your body can use fat as a fuel source for when you exercise and you can still gain muscle; you may not lose weight while doing so, but you will still be healthier. As well, you can still gain lean muscle while still losing weight, but if you were trying to bulk up for a bodybuilder event then you're likely not going to see any success without an excess of calories, as you stated. Also, depending on how heavy the individual is, you may still end up losing weight this way.

Also, in your original post, you said "Over the past year i've gained quite a bit of weight and holding a lot of fat on my chest and belly.. Even begun to get stretch marks from it" So your goal is to not only lose weight, but to burn fat. Weight lifting can contribute quite a bit to fat loss, if not weight loss. Again, YMMV for each individual, but after working out for the past 3 months I've managed to gain muscle in my arms, chest and legs and lose quite a bit of fat from my abdominal area as well as losing weight. I've only lost about 3.3 kg up to this point, which is extremely slow, but that is due to the building of muscle. My overall look and shape is a far cry from what it was before.

Again though, weight lifting is only a suggestion as an avenue of approach that you can take. If it doesn't appeal to you, there's no need to go down that route and no need to justify it to anyone else despite what they say. Make sure to keep a fairly steady schedule and while you can take some breaks, don't stop once you start to see a little bit of progress otherwise you may regress.

Diet is important, lots of fruits and veggies, lean protein, fat (the good kind like in fish), water. Cheat days are fine if they can help keep your cravings in check, but no more than once a week. There are so many parts to fitness that even though I've been researching stuff for months now, I'm still learning new things everyday like the benefits and drawbacks of steady state cardio vs high intensity interval training (tip: don't worry about this for now) and all of it has been super interesting for me.

Hope the swimming goes well and try not to worry too much about how you look in front of others. That was an important tip I picked up during my research and it's true; I do some stuff in the gym that looks pretty darn silly but I don't worry about it because if someone else is going to judge me for it, they've got problems of their own. ;p

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
Glad you've received a lot of advice but more importantly glad YOU are taking the initiative to do something about it. Moreso than anything, it's up to you to follow through. Write down your goals, make sure they are realistic and set a timeline/checkpoints for yourself during your journey. With a little determination and support from those around you, you will be on your weigh (get it)? Others will see results in you before you notice them yourself and once you start receiving compliments and others notice, you will feel good about yourself and the train will only pick up momentum! Good luck! Keep us informed!

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
hi guys,

Over the past year i've gained quite a bit of weight and holding a lot of fat on my chest and belly.. Even begun to get stretch marks from it :(

Been trying to think how to get myself back in shape. Jogging is just something i dont enjoy and wouldnt keep up.. Can you guys suggest any activities for me?

I've joined a gym, drinking only water, trying to cut of fast food chains

thinking about buying a fitbit to watch cals, or is there a better cal counter? fo real

Peace out, A town

Count your calories. Then overestimate how many it actually is. You don't need a fitbit. If you're, say, 28, go find what you need to lose weight online and then aim for 100-200 calories under that amount. (The reason for the overestimation is because you're likely going to go over the amount you're aiming for, aiming under that allows you to actually hit your target).

Don't just join a gym, join fitness classes. Workout probably 2-3x/week.

Do not eat fast food. Do not go to places like Applebees (honestly it's nasty anyway so why go) or whatever. Do not go to McDonalds. Make food at home.

Stop 100% consuming any sugary pop/soda. Do not buy white mocha latte or whatever from starbucks. If you have to get a fix of that nature, get a vanilla latte with skim milk or something.

Hexiii

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Republic
Bread is the worst thing for gaining fat.

No, it's not... it does however have calories with not much of nutritional value.

Just try to avoid eating too much fat and heavy meat, like pork or even beef

Actually, fat is not bad at all, it has more calories than carbs, but is more satiating. I wouldn't avoid beef or pork, just unhealthy trans fats.

TheLondonFella

Suspended
Oct 6, 2014
No, it's not... it does however have calories with not much of nutritional value.

Actually, fat is not bad at all, it has more calories than carbs, but is more satiating. I wouldn't avoid beef or pork, just unhealthy trans fats.

Do NOT listen to this person's "advice".

It is a known fact that bread is terrible for putting on weight.

He/she obviously knows nothing ...

And healthy fats are required by the body.

Avocados, nuts etc contain healthy fats.

Unhealthy fats are NOT good for the body.

To say "actually, fat is not bad at all" is UTTERLY ridiculous!

Seriously, steer clear of "advice" like this ...

freerollin

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
really appreciate all the support!

I've manned up and started going to the gym after work. I avoided the gym for a long time due to anxiety of going at busy times, but now I've started going at peak times I've realised there's nothing to be scared of!

Haven't got a workout routine yet, just been walking a lot on tread mill with an incline and using some of the weight machines.

Also trying to eat healthier, bought a chicken pasta/salad thing for dinner yesterday, but i simply couldn't eat anymore than the chunks of chicken, and then went to kfc to eat something that would give me energy for the gym (with work I am almost always forced to eat takeaways and ready meals)

I've realised my diet is the biggest issue. I'm just a fussy eater and find it hard to consume unfamiliar foods. Would a nutritionalist help me with this do you think?

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
no specific foods can be "bad" although they can be worse than others.

i think when it comes to things like bread or fatty meats, they should be consumed in moderation.

first order effect to keep in mind, as always, is the second law of thermodynamics; that is, if you consume more calories than you spend, then you will gain fat.
second order effect is subtle (or not so subtle) effects that your metabolism and hunger can be regulated by your body's various mechanisms, such as insulin, glucagon, cortisol, leptin, etc which are all modulated by various extrinsic factors such as sugar intake, exercise, your build, sleep schedule, relative composition of macronutrients, micronutrients, etc (in addition to, obviously, your genetics).
however, it is not easy to control the secondary effects that control your metabolism and hunger, and as such it is better to stick to first order effect and try to keep in mind that good sleep schedule, lower stress, lower fatty foods, lower amounts of processed carbs will all contribute to your ability to lose weight and build muscle.

I've manned up and started going to the gym after work. I avoided the gym for a long time due to anxiety of going at busy times, but now I've started going at peak times I've realised there's nothing to be scared of!

Haven't got a workout routine yet, just been walking a lot on tread mill with an incline and using some of the weight machines.

Also trying to eat healthier, bought a chicken pasta/salad thing for dinner yesterday, but i simply couldn't eat anymore than the chunks of chicken, and then went to kfc to eat something that would give me energy for the gym (with work I am almost always forced to eat takeaways and ready meals)

I've realised my diet is the biggest issue. I'm just a fussy eater and find it hard to consume unfamiliar foods. Would a nutritionalist help me with this do you think?

you should be sure to include simple workouts like squat, bench and deadlifts.
these workouts burn lots of calories and will build muscle throughout your body and are efficient ways to lose fat, as you will burn calories (first order effect) and also increase your metabolism via muscle buildup.
in addition, these routines can give you positive mental feedback since you will see the weights go up every time in the beginning.

check out Stronglifts (i'm not affiliated with them).

Last edited by a moderator:

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015

Congrats! Glad to hear it! Just make sure you stick to it and eventually it'll get easier; humans are creatures of habit after all. The only downside for me going at peak times is that our gym is really small and sometimes all the machines are taken up when I arrive.:(

The routine will come with time, but make sure to research online for proper form and technique when weight lifting to avoid injuries. I switch between speed walking and using the bike machine since I have a bum knee so it hurts whenever I jog/run.

If you're as fussy as you say you are, I doubt that would help. AFAIK, a nutritionist would only really help with looking at your diet and suggesting you eat healthier alternatives. I'm not sure they would be able to make it easier for you to consume food you aren't used to, aside from suggesting items that may be more palatable to you that you aren't aware of/wouldn't have considered on your own. However, if you think it might help, it's worth a shot.

Hexiii

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Republic
Do NOT listen to this person's "advice".

It is a known fact that bread is terrible for putting on weight.

How can specifically a baked item be terrible for putting on weight? If we're taking into account just putting on weight, it doesn't matter whether you eat 300 calories of bread or 300 calories of your "healthy" foods. It's just that white flour doesn't have much of a nutritional value as it's mostly refined simple carbohydrates without many micronutrients and it's easy to eat a lot in one sitting.

He/she obviously knows nothing ...

And I would stay away from such strong statements considering your "knowledge".

TheLondonFella

Suspended
Oct 6, 2014
How can specifically a baked item be terrible for putting on weight? If we're taking into account just putting on weight, it doesn't matter whether you eat 300 calories of bread or 300 calories of your "healthy" foods. It's just that white flour doesn't have much of a nutritional value as it's mostly refined simple carbohydrates without many micronutrients and it's easy to eat a lot in one sitting.

And I would stay away from such strong statements considering your "knowledge".

As I said, this person knows nothing (in fact, it's worse than "nothing" as he/she is giving incorrect advice) ...

freerollin

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
you should be sure to include simple workouts like squat, bench and deadlifts.
these workouts burn lots of calories and will build muscle throughout your body and are efficient ways to lose fat, as you will burn calories (first order effect) and also increase your metabolism via muscle buildup.

).
You started off sounding like you knew a thing or two but quickly lost all credibility when you made this statement, it just doesn't work like that

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2015
I found out that fatty junk food wasn't the problem for me but sugars was..

I simply removed all sugars from my diet and lost about 10Kg (22 pounds) over a timespan of about two months?

Drinking lots of water during the day also help. I drink about 1,5 liters water with a little bit of lemon juice.. The lemon juice is good for your intestines? It helps getting fat and other dirty stuff out of your body.

After all it's just watching your diet.. Burn more calories than you eat and it's very easy to lose some weight. Swimming is probability the best sport to burn lots of calories because you will use your entire body to work out. Running for 30 minutes only burns about 300 active calories while swimming for 20 minutes burns almost 580 calories.

It can be fun if you can find something you really like ( don't hate ) doing while working out or being more active.
I bought an Apple Watch just for the activity app, it's kinda cool to try and fill those rings each day.

TheLondonFella

Suspended
Oct 6, 2014
Funny you should say that... I didn't see any proof on your side to backup your accusation. And if you're trolling, at least do it somewhere where it doesn't concern human health.

I go to gym 4 days, and run for 2.

I GUARANTEE you I look better than you.

Forget about "trolling" and all that rubbish!!

People have literally worn the word out; it's usually used when they know they've been beat.

I'm trying to help this fella, as I too have been overweight.

I have noting more to say to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I lost 50lbs running and eating healthier. The key part is counting calories. How many you burn and how many you take in. Otherwise it's easy to fool yourself by eating food that seems healthy and still packing down 3,000 calories. It took a year but I was looking for a sustainable approach that wouldn't result in loose skin or rebounding once the weight was lost.

I also focused on eating more protein than I needed and enough fat. Instead I had all the calories come out of carbs. That way my weight loss was all fat not muscle.

By finding a sustainable and good tasting diet. I kept the weight off.

Reactions: millerj123

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
You started off sounding like you knew a thing or two but quickly lost all credibility when you made this statement, it just doesn't work like that

Please explain yourself, instead of pontificating. And yes, that IS indeed how things work.
Have you ever taken a basic course in metabolism or human physiology?

woodywoodz

Suspended
Apr 12, 2014
NewYork
hum, losing weight is always a hot and external topic.

generally, there is no shortcut to lose weight in a short peroid. go to the gym and keep a balanced diet.

wish you success!

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

A nutritionist will ultimately tell you to 'man up' and stop eating crap like KFC.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
try out the ellipticals and the treadmills. you don't immediately have to start running on the treadmills, for starters try walking/jogging at a speed your comfortable with then as you progress increase the speed or the height(incline). me personally, i do 45min to an hour of cardio switching between the ellipiticals, treadmills and bike. and like what has been mentioned before like cycling or call some buddies and do some flag football.
Yeah. I really started to work out last year. The treadmill was hard on my legs at first. I started with the elliptical and worked my way over to the treadmill. No issues now.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland

I'd check this out, I hadn't lifted in about 2 years and it got me back into it seeing how quickly you can change things up if you're willing to give it a blast for a bit and change your diet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/1lagog/my_life_changing_4_month_transformation_the_best/

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004

Losing weight is 90% diet, 10% exercise. That's because it is so much easier to eat a little extra than run 3 miles to burn it off (or anything else equally vigorous.)

Changing your diet is hard, though, and regular exercise helps most people with their motivation to stick to it. So I definitely recommend it.

To change your diet, there are several options that seem to work for a wide range of people: calorie counting with an app like My Fitness Pal or LoseIt, paleo, intermittent fasting, and some others. You mainly want to find something you can stick to (if you don't change your diet permanently, any weight lost won't be gone for long). People are usually really impatient to get results fast, but it just takes time. (Well, you can often get a great jump start on weight loss, but that's mostly water weight. That won't last and of course what you want is to lose fat.)

You should definitely head over to http://www.reddit.com/r/loseit and *read the faq* there. It's very high quality advice with no B.S. which is rare for weight loss advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.