Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueMars

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
I was in GarageBand and plugged a mic into the line-in port, but nothing happened. I then plugged a guitar into the line-in port, and it worked fine - could hear the guitar through the iMac speakers and record into GarageBand. But the instant I plugged the mic back into the iMac the sound meter started lighting up as if receiving a loud, constant signal...only I discovered that I actually now had no audio whatsoever. No sound going in - and nothing coming out.

A check of the System Preferences Panel shows that the iMac can no longer find any audio devices. I now have no sound at all, nor can I use the iMac mic. And this applies to the other user accounts on the computer, as well.

Any suggestions?

(I just tried to reinstall the OS from the disks that came with the iMac, and Disk one wouldn't load past the introductory screen. I'm doing well, here.)

iMac Core Duo, 20", 10.4.5, 1 GB RAM

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I'm not at home but... I vaguely remember having to mess around with my midi control panel while using garageband... so you might poke around in there (spotlight should find it)...

Or maybe use spotlight to find "speakers" and see if it returns any apps where you can change the settings?

Okay I'm no help.

BlueMars

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Wow...it worked!
I did a spotlight search on speakers, and...!PRESTO!...suddenly I had everything back as it should be. Why nothing showed up before, I have no idea. Weird, but it worked like a charm.

I thank you for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.