Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibobvt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
Vermont, USA
Ever since I upgraded to 10.2.4 on my iMac 400 DV I have not been able to get my 80 gig maxtor firewire external drive to show up on my desktop. In fact, if I even have it plugged in, my computer wont boot up???? It just gets to the part where it says "waiting for local drives" and it just sits there w-a-i-t-i-n-g.......... for what, I don't know. I didn't have this problem with 10.2.3. My drive always showed up on the desktop as a firewire drive, ready to use. Does anybody know what might have happened or have a solution? Thanks!!

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
I recently had trouble with my Maxtor HD as well. Except my HD was corrupted. First of all don't use Norton to try and repair the disk if the HD is corrupt!!!!! Use Data Rescue X to get your data back and back it up to CD then reformat your HD.

Ok see if this works. Restart with the HD unplugged then plug it in once your logged in. Open terminal type in mount to see if the drive shows up. Open up Disk Utility in OSX and if the disk is shown, repair the disk permissions and repair the disk. If it is not recognized boot into OS9 and open up Disk First Aid and do the same.

If this doesn't work, Maxtor includes a utility (Maxtor FireWire Software) with the HD. Start up in OS9 install this utility. Then use the Maxtor utilities to check the HD.

There are other possibilities to solve this, and it may be easier than what I have suggested. When I booted up on the OS X and OS 9 CD's the drives were always recognized (even if corrupted), and then you could repair it through the Disk Utilities supplied by Apple.

----->A thought for others, never buy a Maxtor HD you will only have headaches!!

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I had this problem with an internal SCSI drive. It was the boot drive, so I had to unplug it from the chain to get to my ATA drive. After installing 10.2 on the ATA (and NOT upgrading past 10.2.3!) I was back in business. Maybe you can achieve similar results with a clean install?

Good luck!

Dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.