Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
I don't know if this is the right place to put this up.
I downloaded some songs from the itunes store and now my computer says it can't find them.
Anyone have this problem?
I don't want to buy any more if I will lose them.
BR

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
brobson said:
I don't know if this is the right place to put this up.
I downloaded some songs from the itunes store and now my computer says it can't find them.
Anyone have this problem?
I don't want to buy any more if I will lose them.
BR

I have had this problem before aswell and I know I didn't delete them. It has happened to about 3 different songs on different times. I never did find out what happened to them so I can't help you, but it is good to know i wasnt the only one and I'm not going mad :eek:

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
If you haven't already, you might try searching your entire hard drive for files with "m4p" in the name. Who knows, maybe that'll turn them up somewhere.

Barring that, my only advice is to make backups of all your purchased music. I haven't had this happen to me but I always copy a purchased song to several other computers immediately after downloading it. Eventually they get burned to a CD or DVD as part of a routine backup, too.

Also don't forget to periodically backup the folder "/Users/Shared/SC Info". This is where iTunes authorization info is stored.

Hope this helps! ;)

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
bankshot said:
If you haven't already, you might try searching your entire hard drive for files with "m4p" in the name. Who knows, maybe that'll turn them up somewhere.

Barring that, my only advice is to make backups of all your purchased music. I haven't had this happen to me but I always copy a purchased song to several other computers immediately after downloading it. Eventually they get burned to a CD or DVD as part of a routine backup, too.

Also don't forget to periodically backup the folder "/Users/Shared/SC Info". This is where iTunes authorization info is stored.

Hope this helps! ;)

Mine wasnt purchased music so I couldnt search by m4p but I did look through my iTunes folders and couldnt see it anywhere.

Thanks for the tip on backing up that folder!

Scot

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
I read a thread here a while back, about a way to re-download the songs off the iTunes Music Store, if you contact them, they should let you download the songs again. Good luck :)

debroglie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Don't worry, your songs are still there where they should be. Look for them in the finder.

The way to remedy this is to repair permissions. I can't tell you why it happens, but this fixes it for me

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
debroglie said:
Don't worry, your songs are still there where they should be. Look for them in the finder.

The way to remedy this is to repair permissions. I can't tell you why it happens, but this fixes it for me

I searched for mine in finder on the whole hard drive - they were no where to be found!

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
Hey ScotRobson
My husband's name is Scott Robson.
His people come from Nebraska but they traced their roots to York England and they live in York Nebraska.
Small world hu?
My maiden name is Robertson so I probably am intermarrying clans here somewhere.:p

Sorry,
Back to the subject: :eek:

I can't find them anywhere but I will back them up from now on.
When my imac G5 finally gets here from Shang hi I will be able to burn them.
Thanks everyone!
Brenda Robertson Robson

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.