Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
I had my first quick browse through Apple Music for an hour or so last night, and I came across LOTS of greyed out songs on various different albums.

I'm in the UK, and I'm assuming this is some sort of licensing issue (strangely though, some of the greyed our songs are available on other albums). For some albums it was nearly every track, bar one or two. Spotify has a similar issue with certain songs.

However Apple Store UK's Music page states:

"Get access to the full Apple Music library"

Surely this isn't the case if lots are greyed out?

Please note this is NOT the same problem some have had with "Explicit" songs being greyed out, as a) I have no Restrictions turned on and b) the songs in question above are not marked with an E.

Reactions: tonyr6

barca bear

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Scotland
I've just posted about this in another thread. This is the reason I'm sticking with Spotify for now.

8 out of 18 tracks on Aerosmith's "best of" are greyed out and unplayable. This is one of the worst examples I've come across, but there is more.

P.S. WATP

markhort

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2010
UK
It's the compilation albums are the worst. Just had a look at "The guestlist" 12 out of the 42 tracks are available.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
It's the compilation albums are the worst. Just had a look at "The guestlist" 12 out of the 42 tracks are available.

Yep, it was the compilations that I found to be by far the worst. And more bizarrely, the same track could be available on one compilation and greyed out on another.

I wonder, if it was possible to calculate, what would be the total amount of greyed out tracks for a given country?

markhort

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2010
UK
Yep, it was the compilations that I found to be by far the worst. And more bizarrely, the same track could be available on one compilation and greyed out on another.

I wonder, if it was possible to calculate, what would be the total amount of greyed out tracks for a given country?

I was just going to post the same about tracks available on one album and not on another. Apple really need to get all the remaining independent record labels signed up. I was all ready to swap from Spotify, but that's impossible to do when there are this many gaps.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
There are quite a few greyed out tracks on Spotify too

geesus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
Guys, I think there is a major bug with the latest version of iTunes.

Try the following example - Grizzly Bear 'Shields' LP

On my iPhone, the track 'Yet Again' was greyed out, until I played the track before it, then it popped in and was available. Now, all the album is available.

On iTunes (Mac) that same track is greyed out, and no amount of messing around, makes it available - it is just skipped completely.

Now, either it is a licensing thing, where handheld devices differ to computer platforms (unlikely) or iTunes is majorly bodged.

Try it yourself with the above album. I'm in the UK.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
Guys, I think there is a major bug with the latest version of iTunes.

I'm seeing the same type of thing... I added a curated Apple Music playlist to my collection, but I only have access to all the songs on iTunes. On my iPhone, 80% of the songs on the list are grayed out. Very strange to have differences in the catalog between devices. This must be some sort of bug?

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I had my first quick browse through Apple Music for an hour or so last night, and I came across LOTS of greyed out songs on various different albums.

I'm in the UK, and I'm assuming this is some sort of licensing issue (strangely though, some of the greyed our songs are available on other albums). For some albums it was nearly every track, bar one or two. Spotify has a similar issue with certain songs.

However Apple Store UK's Music page states:

"Get access to the full Apple Music library"

Surely this isn't the case if lots are greyed out?

Please note this is NOT the same problem some have had with "Explicit" songs being greyed out, as a) I have no Restrictions turned on and b) the songs in question above are not marked with an E.

It think you may be confusing the Apple Music Library with the Itunes Library. They never said the full Itunes library would be available.

geesus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
Also the same story with
I'm seeing the same type of thing... I added a curated Apple Music playlist to my collection, but I only have access to all the songs on iTunes. On my iPhone, 80% of the songs on the list are grayed out. Very strange to have differences in the catalog between devices. This must be some sort of bug?

Yes it also happens with Sunset Rubdown - Dragonslayer - track 4 Black Swan (Unavailable on iTunes yet can be made available on iPhone by playing track 3)

geesus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
Here is an example to better illustrate my point:

iTunes

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-03%20at%2019.59.40_zps4t1t2yym.png

iPhone

IMG_1531_zpsae8w8e7l.jpg

Check track 4. Unplayable on iTunes yet fine on iPhone.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
This reminded me when Netflix use to have those annoying disc only episodes that were grayed out and unplayable.

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
Never saw this thread and just started one with a similar issue, I also am in the UK for me the vast majority of what I want to listen to is greyed out. The recommended a compilation I might like I go in and the entire thing greyed out. Others have 3-4 playable songs. Rubbish this.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
We need to report to apple's feedback page - just posting here won't force change

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I feel sorry for those in the UK. This region thing sucks for everything. We all live on the same planet yet each country has to get different content some exclusive others nothing. Just like with streaming TV series like Netflix. The UK has a bunch of content the US version does not have yet the US has exclusive content the UK does not get.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
I agree its annoying but I found it exactly the same on Spotify with compilation albums.

barca bear

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Scotland
I've never had a problem on Spotify with compilations. I have experienced this with a few playlists, but not that often.

GrumpyTrucker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2014
Same here. Started a thread myself about it too. Don't know if it was before or after this one. These greyed out tracks are annoying, and unfortunately for me aren't coming available if I play the preceding song. On of them is the first track on the album so playing the preceding one is a bit difficult anyway :)

I'm hoping it's a bug and not a regional licensing issue. I've had the odd issue with Spotify before but if I added the entire album to a playlist all the tracks would become playable. Not so here :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.