Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ces1965

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2002
Maybe I'm obsessing, and feel free to tell me that, but I'm on my second 1.3 and it is getting lower Geekbench 3 scores than my first. I love the machine, but my first had the 256gb SSD and I decided to get the 512 so I returned it. My first one got about 2800 single core 5600 multicore on 64 bit Geekbench, which seems in line with what others report. I just got my second 1.3 with the 512 and I seem to get only about 2600 single core, 5200 multi core consistently, although once I got 2800 single core, 5500 multicore (I'm rounding).

Should I return it? I paid extra for the 1.3 and I'm not sure I got what I paid for.

I've had the Mac for about 3 days now. I've repaired permissions, am running no other apps, etc. Before I returned the first 1.3 I duped the drive with super duper and used that to build the system for the second one (I didn't want to download all my Photos again - I have a large library).

Thanks for any advice. I'd like to keep this one, and don't feel like waiting again, but I guess I can do it if I got a poor 1.3.

freitz

macrumors regular
May 25, 2015
Ellicott City MD
Maybe I'm obsessing, and feel free to tell me that, but I'm on my second 1.3 and it is getting lower Geekbench 3 scores than my first. I love the machine, but my first had the 256gb SSD and I decided to get the 512 so I returned it. My first one got about 2800 single core 5600 multicore on 64 bit Geekbench, which seems in line with what others report. I just got my second 1.3 with the 512 and I seem to get only about 2600 single core, 5200 multi core consistently, although once I got 2800 single core, 5500 multicore (I'm rounding).

Should I return it? I paid extra for the 1.3 and I'm not sure I got what I paid for.

I've had the Mac for about 3 days now. I've repaired permissions, am running no other apps, etc. Before I returned the first 1.3 I duped the drive with super duper and used that to build the system for the second one (I didn't want to download all my Photos again - I have a large library).

Thanks for any advice. I'd like to keep this one, and don't feel like waiting again, but I guess I can do it if I got a poor 1.3.

Are you running them back to back? Once the processor gets hot for a while give it a break. I have gotten anywhere between 5300 and 5580.

I don't see any reason to return it.

I doubt you would notice the difference between a score of 5500 and 5200 in normal use. Could just be the difference in room temperature.

freitz

macrumors regular
May 25, 2015
Ellicott City MD
Tested again this morning for you in a slightly cooler room of the house scores 5780. I think this varies and dependent on many factors that can cause the cpu to throttle.

mkelly

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2007

You're obsessing :) You are likely running into thermal throttling. Without a fan, the MacBook is more susceptible to variations in external temperature - even an increase in ambient temperature due to the weather could cause your results to fluctuate.

Now, whether or not the upgrade to the 1.3 is actually worth it to you is only something you can answer. Supposedly the 1.3s get better battery life because they're more thermally efficient than the lower models ... but I haven't seen any hard proof of that.

PS: Repair permissions is *voodoo* and you almost never, never, never need to do it... unless you've been booting into OS 9 on a regular basis (which of course, you haven't). It certainly won't affect CPU speed.

http://daringfireball.net/2006/04/repair_permissions_voodoo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.