Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Hey guys,
I downloaded the PB of Sierra to a separate partition on my 2015 13" rMBP. For some reason my Siri voice is extremely low quality. I looked at the settings and couldnt find anything. Demo videos I've looked at show a perfectly high quality enhanced siri voice, but mine sounds like its from iOS 5 lol. Anybody else having this and how could i get it to use the right voice?
Thanks

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
I noticed the same thing. I couldn't figure it out either.

Hell, half the things I ask don't work anyway. Haha

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Hey guys,
I downloaded the PB of Sierra to a separate partition on my 2015 13" rMBP. For some reason my Siri voice is extremely low quality. I looked at the settings and couldnt find anything. Demo videos I've looked at show a perfectly high quality enhanced siri voice, but mine sounds like its from iOS 5 lol. Anybody else having this and how could i get it to use the right voice?
Thanks

The high-quality voice will download over time. I restarted my computer and it was there.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
The high-quality voice will download over time. I restarted my computer and it was there.
Ah ok thanks! I restarted multiple times and haven't seen it yet, but haven't given it much time. Likely will be there in the morning I assume.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
This is the standard behaviour for Siri in general. It always starts out as low quality on the phone too.

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
Ah ok thanks! I restarted multiple times and haven't seen it yet, but haven't given it much time. Likely will be there in the morning I assume.

This actually worked..never thought of it. Perfect. But she can't open messages. I like to test things and this is one

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
What Macs were you guys using? And were they plugged in (if MacBooks)? Still have the low quality voice, but I realized my MacBook wasn't plugged in last night cause it was already charged, I'm assuming that's why it didn't download.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
What Macs were you guys using? And were they plugged in (if MacBooks)? Still have the low quality voice, but I realized my MacBook wasn't plugged in last night cause it was already charged, I'm assuming that's why it didn't download.

This may the the answer. It downloaded fairly quickly on my 2011 iMac. Will probably install Sierra on my 2015 rMBP and will report back on how long it takes.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
This may the the answer. It downloaded fairly quickly on my 2011 iMac. Will probably install Sierra on my 2015 rMBP and will report back on how long it takes.
Wish they would just tell you somewhere in settings how much is downloaded . Hopefully will download eventually, I have it plugged in.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Wish they would just tell you somewhere in settings how much is downloaded . Hopefully will download eventually, I have it plugged in.

You can open Activity Monitor and go to "Network" and it will tell you the amount of data received. If it seems like a lot, then it could be the high-quality voice being downloaded.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Cool thanks!

Got everything setup on my rMBP with 10.12

Siri was low-quality when I first tried it, but it looks like it received about 1.3GB of data from somewhere, and Siri is high-quality now. I didn't need to restart or anything, it just updated by itself.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Got everything setup on my rMBP with 10.12

Siri was low-quality when I first tried it, but it looks like it received about 1.3GB of data from somewhere, and Siri is high-quality now. I didn't need to restart or anything, it just updated by itself.
Wha? That makes mine even more confusing then. I wonder if there is a place where you can tell it to download manually, like in dictation settings or something.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Still hasn't changed, still using the low quality voice. I know this is a beta but the voice is supposed to work so its annoying. I guess ill just leave my MacBook plugged in all night tonight and see if it works in the morning.

Antonio Blanco

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2014
Puebla - México
Im in mexico and siri works pefectly fine on my iphone 6s but i also noticed it after the macOS installation, siri on my mac has a low quality voice in spanish, she doesn't even sound mexican, sounds freaking horrible......

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Well....left it charging all night and nothing. Still low quality voice. Gonna try switching to a different network and see if that does anything.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Does anyone here know a possible fix for this?

I came in here with the same exact issue, but I literally, 5 minutes ago, just switched to American (Male) voice in Siri settings, and then switched it back to American (Female) and the quality of her voice is the best I've ever heard her. Even better than the one on iOS. I don't notice any sort of digitization of her voice at all. Sorry I haven't read the entire thread but have you tried doing this?

I even like her personality more, as her "cheerfulness" from iOS seems a hair toned down, which I'm appreciating. She sounds great!

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I came in here with the same exact issue, but I literally, 5 minutes ago, just switched to American (Male) voice in Siri settings, and then switched it back to American (Female) and the quality of her voice is the best I've ever heard her. Even better than the one on iOS. I don't notice any sort of digitization of her voice at all. She sounds great!
Noticed that really high quality voice on iOS 10, it sounds really good I agree. But unfortunately I've tried changing the voice and still haven't had any luck.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Noticed that really high quality voice on iOS 10, it sounds really good I agree. But unfortunately I've tried changing the voice and still haven't had any luck.

Hmmm....That means I'm still getting Siri's lower quality iOS 9 voice on my iOS devices running iOS 10. Which also means now I'm having the same issue as you, but on iOS lol. :(

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Hmmm....That means I'm still getting Siri's lower quality iOS 9 voice on my iOS devices running iOS 10. Which also means now I'm having the same issue as you, but on iOS lol. :(
Haha that is certainly annoying, hopefully we both can get it figured out ;)

Reactions: Icaras

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Another night plugged in, but still no high quality voice. I wonder if it has something to do with my network. What's weird is that it seems like the voice quality "fluctuates," sometimes it sounds horrible and other times it doesnt sound too bad but still not high quality.
[doublepost=1468156892][/doublepost]LOL literally right after I posted my previous message, for whatever reason the male voice is high quality all of a sudden.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Another night plugged in, but still no high quality voice. I wonder if it has something to do with my network. What's weird is that it seems like the voice quality "fluctuates," sometimes it sounds horrible and other times it doesnt sound too bad but still not high quality.
[doublepost=1468156892][/doublepost]LOL literally right after I posted my previous message, for whatever reason the male voice is high quality all of a sudden.

It may be time to just send them feedback saying that the high-quality voice has yet to download. Make sure you submit the diagnostic files so they know which system you installed 10.12 on

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.