Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macmonter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Vermont, USA
I will soon get delivery of a new Mac Mini with a NEC 27" monitor (EA273WN-BK) to be used primarily by a visually impaired family member. Previous posts to the Forum on the subject of what system is best for those with poor eye sight suggested a 27" display and xcode installed to make the display the same as a HiDPi display. Experimenting on my Mac Pro with a 30" HP monitor indicated that a resolution of 1600 x 1000 with font smoothing unchecked produced an acceptable screen display without the need for xcode - except that Photoshop Elements would hang at that resolution when image editing attempted (no PSE will be on new Mini). The xcode description on the Apple Store site makes no mention of xcode used for improving display characteristics. So, the following questions:

1. Would xcode improve the display image appreciably? I'm not very computer literate so installing an unknown app on a brand new computer is scary.

2. Are there potential problems with xcode used solely for improving display characteristics at less than the default resolution?

3. Any other suggestions for maximizing the clarity of display viewing for someone who currently uses a magnifying glass to read text on a 17" PC laptop screen with text size set to large? BTW, the Mac Display settings for "Seeing" under "Universal Access" are of little help.

Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.