Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Just got a new Lumix on Saturday and have been browsing through the manual. It states that the camera should NOT be connected to a hub, but directly to the computer. Since the USB ports on my iMac are at the back, and a hassle to access, I have a powered D-Link hub that I connect my peripherals to.

Is it really a no no to connect the Lumix the same way I connect my other cameras? I did use the hub to download the first batch of test pictures from the camera and it worked fine. I will permanently connect a cable to the rear of my Mac if I have to, just seems a little strange. My new Fuji has no such restrictions. The only difference I can see id the Lumix uses a re-chargeable Lithium battery...Wonder if that's the key here?

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Unless you charge the camera through the USB-port I think it's a better idea to use the built in SD-port of your iMac.

I'd rather not take the card out of the camera all the time...That can lead to trashed media. I think the issue is charging...Default on the camera is for it to charge the battery as soon as it's connected. You have to change the menu setting to download images....I nobody else has any input `I may contact Panasonic and see what they have to say.

Since my hub is powered rather than passive, I can't see any difference in using it as opposed to a port on my iMac.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Well, nothing from Panasonic, I'm going with my gut instinct here. I'm pretty sure that they mean an unpowered hub that's the no no here. It has to power itself from the Mac's USB port as well as charging the camera battery (which I don't want it to do anyway, prefer to use the AC adaptor for that)

Mine is a plug in AC powered 4 port D-Link, and I've tried it with the camera and it works exactly the same way as it does when I connect the lead to the rear of my iMac.

On my head be it if I trash the card, but I don't want to have to screw around at the back of my iMac every time I want to transfer pictures.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Personally, I'm with you, I think it refers to not connecting through unpowered usb ports.

I've never heard of potential to trash your card by removing it from your camera. Most photographers do it many times a day. :confused:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Personally, I'm with you, I think it refers to not connecting through unpowered usb ports.

I've never heard of potential to trash your card by removing it from your camera. Most photographers do it many times a day. :confused:

I used to, it's just that they are better left in the camera unless I need to switch out media on a shoot. Taking them in and out, inserting in a card reader eventually wear and tear on the contacts, finger marks, even when super careful can cause damage,

I'm going with the hub...I just tested it again as I'm playing with the camera settings and familiarising myself with it.

Attachments

• Setup.png
    Setup.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 134
  • Setup2.png
    Setup2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 143
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.