Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brianbar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2022
Winnipeg Canada

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I have just purchased a LUMIX DC-ZS200 Camera, and I'm unable to do the Firmware update from 1.0 to 1.2.
According to the attached link I completed the process including a fully charged battery then pressi the playback button, but nothing happens.

I agree that going to Panasonic is the best bet. Before that, however: Are you sure the SD card is large enough? 2) Did you format the SD card in the camera before coping the files to it?

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Panasonic cameras are pretty easy to update usually. Format the card in the camera, then copy the update file to the root of the drive (no sub folders). Power on the camera and it should pick up the update and ask to install it. You might try redownloading the file. I assume you unzipped it and such.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Have you uncompressed the update file first? Sometimes they are in a zip archive and have you copied it to the correct place on the SD card - normally the top level directory.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You might try asking your question here:

... or perhaps on another user forum at dpreview.com.

... although I believe kenoh is onto something in reply 5 above.
That's the same way firmware updates are done on Canon cameras...

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
You might try asking your question here:

... or perhaps on another user forum at dpreview.com.

... although I believe kenoh is onto something in reply 5 above.
That's the same way firmware updates are done on Canon cameras...
Thanks for the link. Found the answer to an unrelated issue. My flash was only working in the AI mode, turns out in the movie settings the EPSF filter was turned on and that was disabling the flash.

Back on topic, what does the firmware update do that is an improvement over the older version?

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Thanks for the link. Found the answer to an unrelated issue. My flash was only working in the AI mode, turns out in the movie settings the EPSF filter was turned on and that was disabling the flash.

Back on topic, what does the firmware update do that is an improvement over the older version?
I had a look on the support site and the download file for the camera update is delivered as a zip file. This needs to be uncompressed to get the .bin file from it. That then must be copied to the top level directory on the card.

The update is 99mb so it seems like a chunky one.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007

Looks like it's on a separate page than the download, but here's what changed in 1.1 and 1.2: https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.co...load/TZ200_TZ202_TZ220_ZS200_ZS220/index.html

Seems pretty minor if you don't use an external monitor with the camera, and don't use the custom modes. But if you do use the custom modes (I actually quite like them when I remember they exist on my Canon) it could be worth it!

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Looks like it's on a separate page than the download, but here's what changed in 1.1 and 1.2: https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.co...load/TZ200_TZ202_TZ220_ZS200_ZS220/index.html

Seems pretty minor if you don't use an external monitor with the camera, and don't use the custom modes. But if you do use the custom modes (I actually quite like them when I remember they exist on my Canon) it could be worth it!
Thanks.

Other than the monitor which I don't use, it looks like the only real change is in the behaviour of the arrow buttons when setting exposure bias. Currently pushing the up arrow once brings up the exposure bias and you go up or down using the right and left arrow buttons. Not super intuitive. Accidentally push that up arrow twice and it sends you cycling through a major whack of bracketing options. New set-up means if bracketing is off in the menu items, it is off. Thereby enabling you to use the up and down arrows to set change the exposure bias. So no accidental grand tours of the bracket options, but OTOH it means menu diving if you do want to use bracketing.

I think I will pass on this one as I have gotten used to the current set-up and I use bracketed exposures just often enough to prefer not having to do a menu dive for that feature.

brianbar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2022
Winnipeg Canada
Still nothing working to fix this update, and Panasonic Canada is of no use.
I will keep the camera as everything else seems okay.
Brian

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
I would not keep a camera that can’t update. It’s not the lack of new/improved/bug fixes that come with the updates. It’s the fact something is broken. If you’re sure you know what you’re doing (Panasonics are quite simple), send it back.

Reactions: deep diver

brianbar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2022
Winnipeg Canada
Gave it a little more thought as you said Ray 2 and returned it.
They are going to do the firmware update on the replacement before returning it.
Thanks everyone for your feedback.
Brian

Reactions: Ray2

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
I am trying to wrap my brain around why you would try to install an update, which is giving Panasonic problems. To me that is a huge red flag. Common sense says to avoid it like the plague.

brianbar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2022
Winnipeg Canada
Common sense tells me I may need in the future, and why should I buy something that does not work.
Would you not have a problem if there was an update for your vehicle, TV, computer or cell phone etc.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Truthfully several of my camera bodies and at least one lens currently have firmware updates available, but they don't fix anything that I've ever had trouble with, so I've never installed them. I have had updates available that have substantially added new features, and those I've done.

brianbar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2022
Winnipeg Canada
I will not post any further updates on this issue, or any other come to that, it appears that most forums have at least one Village Idiot.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I will not post any further updates on this issue, or any other come to that, it appears that most forums have at least one Village Idiot.
i don’t think you’re an idiot! i just don’t always do firmware updates for my camera gear if it doesn’t address a problem i have.

brianbar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2022
Winnipeg Canada
Despite what I said earlier, I owe it to other LUMIX owner to keep them up to date.
The camera has been returned and issue is now being taken up with the Panasonic Teck Team.
It appears this is a global issue and not just my camera, and applies to some other LUMIX cameras.
Will keep you posted so long as I don't get any more dump replies as I'm only trying to help others.

brianbar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2022
Winnipeg Canada
The ZS200 has been returned to store for a refund (no problems), only to find out that there are several camera stores in Canada with this model in stock, and they will NOT accept the 1.2 firmware up day either and Panasonic Canada are not helping me or any of the stores effected with this issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.