Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Physical watchmakers have been knocking off designs for years. Look how many name brand watchmakers make a Rolex look alike with fluted bezel and similarly shaped case with a steal linked band. No one would mistake them for a real Rolex nor do the say "Rolex" but it's clear their design was "influenced" by Rolex. Their are plenty of square watches with chronograph functions that look like a Monaco but aren't.

No one is going to confuse a digital watch with a Rolex / Patek / etc. so I would think a trade dress lawsuit would have little merit, IMHO. However, since most sites can't fight one then they simply fold. OTOH, if you use their name or a distinct trademark like Mickey Mouse, as some of the faces have, then you've crossed a line.

----------

Flik Flak - Swatch brand for kids...

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
Fossil a "luxury" watch maker? Bwwwaaahahahahahahahahaaaahahaaahahaaa...

If you knew the brands that they make watches for you might change your tone.

(Michelle, Burberry, Armani, Michael Kors, Marc Jacobs, DKNY, Tory Burch, Diesel)

Last edited:

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
Well that's just stupid, most high end watch faces are standard and used among many brands.

You obviously don't know much about high end time pieces. Rolex, Omega, Patek Philippe, Hubolt, Tag, Vacheron etc., all have unique faces that are accentuated by different fonts, hands, style of numerals, and placement of sub-dials.

I'm glad the watcher makers are cracking down.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
I'm surprised it took the watchmakers this long, to be honest.

They've been watching and waiting since day one. There is no ROI in suing a small time player like Pebble. Now that Samsung, Google, and Apple are in the game, the money is big enough to be worth pursuing.

selfsilent

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2014
Maybe these companies will make their own versions to sell for the Apple watch. That way they make money and users get the watch faces they want without resorting to piracy.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Well that's just stupid, most high end watch faces are standard and used among many brands.

As an owner of a "high end watch", I can assure you that you are absolutely WRONG! No other watch maker makes a watch with a face like the one on my watch. And ditto for the "high end watches" on the arms of my friends. Each is unique to that particular band and model.

There's a difference between "sort of similar" and actual copies. The luxury watchmakers are going after actual copies that look more like the original product than just "sort of similar". Here's just one example:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.go2android.watchface_aw_rolex_1r

The thing actually says ROLEX on it. THAT is what luxury watchmakers are up in arms about. And rightfully so.

Mark

Last edited:

Tim0

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Russia
To me, this is just the case of greedy watchmakers trying to rip some cash from Apple.

There are tons of "replica" watches on the Web produced by shady Chinese companies - yet you don't hear much about the luxury watchmakers cracking down on these. Why? Because there's virtually nothing to be gained from that, for one - and for another, it doesn't really affect their sales, because replica watches is a completely different market. Those who can afford an original would never buy a copy, and those who buy copies would never buy an original.

Now, Apple is another story, that's where all the dough is. And it was fairly stupid for Apple to pay 21M settlement for a watch design, simply because, in truth, there is no infringement - a watch is a watch and a gadget is a gadget. It will not be mistaken for a watch, neither it will affect the watches' sales, nor make a gadget more popular. The same goes for the physical watches vs Apple Watch - if people use "classic" or "luxury" watch face on their gadget, they just do it for fun, not because they actually want to create an impression that this is the watch they use. If anything, having a "classic" or "luxury" face on the AW should be viewed as free advertisement.

Or maybe Apple should turn around and start charging the watchmakers for the amount of time the face is displayed? :D

FriednTested

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
They've been watching and waiting since day one. There is no ROI in suing a small time player like Pebble. Now that Samsung, Google, and Apple are in the game, the money is big enough to be worth pursuing.

I have a feeling they were waiting on apple... #

quickcalibre

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
London
Post removed by user due to users commenting on personal life, come here to talk about apple, not my business or real life.

Last edited:

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
To me, this is just the case of greedy watchmakers trying to rip some cash from Apple.

There are tons of "replica" watches on the Web produced by shady Chinese companies - yet you don't hear much about the luxury watchmakers cracking down on these. Why? Because there's virtually nothing to be gained from that, for one - and for another, it doesn't really affect their sales, because replica watches is a completely different market. Those who can afford an original would never buy a copy, and those who buy copies would never buy an original.

Now, Apple is another story, that's where all the dough is. And it was fairly stupid for Apple to pay 21M settlement for a watch design, simply because, in truth, there is no infringement - a watch is a watch and a gadget is a gadget. It will not be mistaken for a watch, neither it will affect the watches' sales, nor make a gadget more popular. The same goes for the physical watches vs Apple Watch - if people use "classic" or "luxury" watch face on their gadget, they just do it for fun, not because they actually want to create an impression that this is the watch they use. If anything, having a "classic" or "luxury" face on the AW should be viewed as free advertisement.

Or maybe Apple should turn around and start charging the watchmakers for the amount of time the face is displayed? :D

Once again, someone that doesn't know what he's talking about. Luxury watchmakers "go after" counterfeiters ALL THE TIME! It just happens to be incredibly difficult to go after them in China because piracy and counterfeiting is generally condoned and accepted in China.

Luxury watchmakers not only have the right to "go after" these Android Wear and other watch face copies, the luxury watchmakers have a DUTY to do it. They are REQUIRED, by copyright and trademark law, to "defend their marque" from illicit copies. Failing to do so is tantamount to abandoning their design/trademark.

Mark

Tim0

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Russia
Once again, someone that doesn't know what he's talking about. Luxury watchmakers "go after" counterfeiters ALL THE TIME! It just happens to be incredibly difficult to go after them in China because piracy and counterfeiting is generally condoned and accepted in China.

Luxury watchmakers not only have the right to "go after" these Android Wear and other watch face copies, the luxury watchmakers have a DUTY to do it. They are REQUIRED, by copyright and trademark law, to "defend their marque" from illicit copies. Failing to do so is tantamount to abandoning their design/trademark.

So how exactly having a digital image of a physical watch on a device constitutes a copyright infringement? This is not an "illicit copy" of a watch, as is the case with the replica, this is just a picture of its face, not unlike those used in the online stores (a bit simplistic, I know). Everyone understands this is an AW, not Cartier. And if AW face bears a Cartier logo, that serves as an advertisement for Cartier in a sense - doesn't it?

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
Only 13 years experience as a vintage watch dealer and watch repairer. >_>

I've had many watches with the same dial design.

OK, so show me an Omega with the same dial as a Cartier, with the same dial as a Penerai, or a Vacheron Constantin, Breitling, Audemars Piaget.......

quickcalibre

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
London
Post removed by user due to users commenting on personal life, come here to talk about apple, not my business or real life.

Last edited:

quickcalibre

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
London

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
So how exactly having a digital image of a physical watch on a device constitutes a copyright infringement? This is not an "illicit copy" of a watch, as is the case with the replica, this is just a picture of its face, not unlike those used in the online stores (a bit simplistic, I know). Everyone understands this is an AW, not Cartier. And if AW face bears a Cartier logo, that serves as an advertisement for Cartier in a sense - doesn't it?
Companies do that all the time. You must get the permission (with a few exceptions) from the copyright owner in order to use the likeness of copyrighted material. A watch face can certainly be copyrighted.

This isn't something new or unusual.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
If you knew the brands that they make watches for you might change your tone.

(Michelle, Burberry, Armani, Michael Kors, Marc Jacobs, DKNY, Tory Burch, Diesel)

None of those are exactly luxury either; nice fashion watches but no were in the league of luxury brands.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK

But as you say, all slightly different. Different from your original statement that "most high end watch faces are standard and used among many brands". Which are they, standard or different?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...philippe-watch-dial-is-made-step-by-step.html

This link describes how Patek make their watch faces. As Audemars and Vacheron are considered equal to Patek, we can assume they go to similar measures. Companies like Stern Creations may be able to use the same stamps to make the brass discs to be turned into faces for various manufacturers, but to make the same face for various manufacturers, no, there will always have to be some difference, however small, as Apple discovered to it's cost with the Swiss Railway clock payout.

----------

None of those are exactly luxury either; nice fashion watches but no were in the league of luxury brands.

Agreed. Personally I'd put most of them in the category of junk, but that's just me!:cool:

quickcalibre

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
London
Post removed by user due to users commenting on personal life, come here to talk about macs, not my business or real life.

Last edited:

quickcalibre

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
London

Last edited:

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
If I meant exactly the same, I would of used the word exactly.

Here's the definition of standard for you.

standard
ˈstandəd/Submit
noun
a level of quality or attainment.
"their restaurant offers a high standard of service"
synonyms: quality, level, grade, degree, worth, calibre, merit, excellence
"the standard of work is very good"
a required or agreed level of quality or attainment.
"half of the beaches fail to comply with European standards"
synonyms: guideline, norm, yardstick, benchmark, gauge, measure, criterion, guide, touchstone, model, pattern, example, exemplar, paradigm, ideal, archetype, specification, requirement, rule, principle, law, canon
"half the beaches fail to comply with European standards"
BRITISHhistorical
(in elementary schools) a grade of proficiency tested by examination or the form or class preparing pupils for such a grade.
"she was still in boarding school and had twice repeated the same standard"
something used as a measure, norm, or model in comparative evaluations.
"the wages are low by today's standards"
principles of conduct informed by notions of honour and decency.
"a decline in moral standards"
synonyms: principle, rule of living; More
the prescribed weight of fine metal in gold or silver coins.
"the sterling standard for silver"
a system by which the value of a currency is defined in terms of gold or silver or both.
a measure for timber, equivalent to 165 cu. ft (4.67 cubic metres).
(especially with reference to jazz or blues) a tune or song of established popularity.
a military or ceremonial flag carried on a pole or hoisted on a rope.
synonyms: flag, banner, pennant, pennon, streamer, ensign, colour(s), banderole; More
used in names of newspapers.
noun: Standard
"a report in the Evening Standard"
a tree or shrub that grows on an erect stem of full height.
a shrub grafted on an erect stem and trained in tree form.
"a standard rose"
BOTANY
the large, frequently erect uppermost petal of a papilionaceous flower.
BOTANY
one of the inner petals of an iris flower, frequently erect.
an upright water or gas pipe.
adjective
adjective: standard
used or accepted as normal or average.
"the standard rate of income tax"
synonyms: normal, usual, typical, stock, common, ordinary, customary, conventional, habitual, accustomed, expected, wonted, everyday, regular, routine, day-to-day, daily, established, settled, set, fixed, traditional, quotidian, prevailing
"the standard rate of income tax"
antonyms: unusual, special
(of a size, measure, design, etc.) regularly used or produced; not special or exceptional.
"all these doors come in a range of standard sizes"
(of a work, repertoire, or writer) viewed as authoritative or of permanent value and so widely read or performed.
"his essays on the interpretation of reality became a standard text"
synonyms: definitive, established, classic, recognized, approved, accepted, authoritative, most reliable, most complete, exhaustive, official
"this book will certainly become the standard work on the subject"
denoting or relating to the form of a language widely accepted as the usual correct form.
"speakers of standard English"
(of a tree or shrub) growing on an erect stem of full height.
"standard trees are useful for situations where immediate height is needed"

Please note, hands are also quite different from dials. So let's not go there.

Yes, you are absolutely correct, most watch manufacturers use a standard design. Circular face, numerals around the circumference. If this is what you meant, then I've lost the point of your original post..?

quickcalibre

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
London

Last edited:

rjlawrencejr

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
LA/OC/IE

Thank you for those examples. I knew exactly what you meant, but I was glad you could show physical examples (though somehow some naysayers seem to be unconvinced).

I am under the impression the primary argument from the watchmakers is not so much the faces, but the use of trademark. I am not even sure if a watch faces is copyrightable (unless a new font is created). But from what I can tell with the Google Play store - there is definitely unauthorized use of logos.

Someone mentioned no physical goods are being ripped off. Well that might be true. But if I put the Cartier logo on notebooks, you can bet Cartier would send a cease-and-desist letter even if the item is in a category they don't even participate.

I highly doubt a Rolex, Tissot, Patek Phillipe, etc would ever distribute software watch faces, but I could definitely see a company such as Fossil or Diesel selling customized faces. They would get a nice return since the development costs would be next to nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.