Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
TUAW has confirmed this story about Apple likely adding lyrics at:
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/04/24/gracenotes-and-itunes-in-lyrics-talks/

In fact, you can already manually add lyrics (say from the new free Yahoo service) to your existing MP3 or M4A (AAC) audio files. See the tutorial posted here for the step by step method to add and display lyrics on your iPod using iTunes:

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/03/15/howto-lyrics-on-your-ipod

That initial TUAW post was pointing to the same Reuters article, just mirrored by PC Mag. Unfortunately, its not really confirmation...

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
If the lyrics are as accurate as Gracenote's CDDB, then no thanks.

I have to fix so many album, artist or song names, and spelling and grammar mistakes that it is quite annoying.

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
I just hope it works better than the Album Artwork b/c a lot of my albums are the wrong cover art. I ripped my own Led Zeppelin CDs but when iTunes pulled down the album art off of iTS, I got Dread Zeppelin cover art instead. :eek:

That's just because there's no Zeppelin on iTunes Store (UK at least)

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
It's about time they added this feature! I've been using a Pear lyrics widget to add lyrics to my iTunes track.s Having this feature seamlessly integrated into iTunes would be much better!

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
i wonder what will happen if a rapper makes a song talking all kinda junk about how mac sucks and stuff like that. i wonder if that lyric will be available.

KingofAwesome

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
Karaoke isn't just singing lyrics over a song - the original lyrics need to be gone from the track. There are some signal processing algorithms to do this, and on older music it works better, but I haven't seen one that's close to 100%. I can't imagine Apple launching Karaoke half-assed like this, but there is probably an opportunity for a thrird-party plug-in for iTunes to get 'good-enough' results.

A wireless Mic (white plastic, of course) would be a good use for the USB port on the :apple:TV.

I envision a different category or playlist in :apple:TV for Karaoke, with songs available from ITS (or, if you are so inclined, exported from GarageBand with a special template similar to the podcast template). Podcasts can have different album art appear at specific points in the episode, so a similar strategy for karaoke songs would probably be possible.

I'm no fan of karaoke myself, but if others want it and it drives :apple:TV sales, it would be good for all of us.

KingofAwesome

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
i wonder what will happen if a rapper makes a song talking all kinda junk about how mac sucks and stuff like that. i wonder if that lyric will be available.

The bigger challenge would be finding a rapper/studio/producer/label combination willing to pay for that. I can't imagine a song like that selling many copies (not because the world loves Apple, but because the vast majority of the music-buying world doesn't really care).

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
If the lyrics are as accurate as Gracenote's CDDB, then no thanks.

I have to fix so many album, artist or song names, and spelling and grammar mistakes that it is quite annoying.

I agree completely. I always have to double-check song titles, composers, and the genre. Sometimes even the album title is wrong.

CDDB doesn't seem to have any quality controls at all, it's just what other users submit. How is this any different from all the other lyric websites? They often have mistakes, too, which is why I don't use any of the lyric-fetching widgets or applescripts.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Great news. This will be good for karaoke.
I don't think it will matter that much. An audio-only karaoke recording, plus a lyric sheet would be really annoying to sing over.

Apple needs to work with the karaoke vendors on iTunes (like SoundChoice) and get them to distribute videos instead of just audio files. This way, the lyrics will be visible.
Would be cool if they implement lyrics into search, so If you do not know a name of a song you want to buy you search for the lyrics.
This would be really useful. Especially for the CDs I rip myself.

Lyrics: good.
Karaoke: evil.
Just for that, you're not invited to my shows. Nyaaaah!
Karaoke isn't just singing lyrics over a song - the original lyrics need to be gone from the track. There are some signal processing algorithms to do this, and on older music it works better, but I haven't seen one that's close to 100%.
Removing the vocals from an existing recording never works quite right. Center-channel elimination from stereo recordings can work, somewhat, if the singer's voice is mixed to center (it isn't always.)

This is one big reason why commercial karaoke discs contain cover-band reproductions and don't have the original audio. (The other reason is that license fees for an in-house cover-band recordings are much less.)
ClimbingTheLog said:
I can't imagine Apple launching Karaoke half-assed like this, but there is probably an opportunity for a thrird-party plug-in for iTunes to get 'good-enough' results.
Apple already sells karaoke tracks on iTunes, but they're audio only. Selling them with text-based lyrics, to be overlayed by explicit code in iTunes/QuickTime seems like a complete waste. Far better to play video files that are ripped from the CD+G/DVD files already sold by those same karaoke track publishers.

It seems that at least one karaoke publisher is already doing this, but they're not being sold on iTunes (yet?).

(And adding the ability to rip a CD+G into an iTunes video file would be really nice. :D )
ClimbingTheLog said:
A wireless Mic (white plastic, of course) would be a good use for the USB port on the :apple:TV.
Not really. USB microphones usually have terrible latency. Your voice would not synchronize well to the recorded audio. You'd hate the result.

A cheap mixer, attached to the audio-outputs, would give much better results. Perhaps something like this but in white plastic (to make the iFolks happy.)

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Lyrics are good. Sometimes, I know the lyrics but not the name of a song so searching would help. I totally agree w/ the timed lyrics so you can do Karaoke in Front Row/:apple: TV. Hopefully, this well be like "Get Missing Album Artwork". Hopefully, movies & TV shows would get scripts, too.

SeanMcg

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Yet another licensing association

'Bout time. I never did understand why it was such a big deal to pull the lyrics for a song. I can purchase the song, but actually understanding what they are saying? That's another matter.... :rolleyes:

ASCAP controls the licensing of lyrics (I think). I do know that churches have to get a license from CCLI to publish lyrics (in bulletins or other handouts) for songs that aren't in their hymnals, usually for contemporary songs. So when I read that the multitude of widgets out there supplying lyrics were being targeted, I wasn't surprised.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
Just tried Yahoo!'s lyrics service-it doesn't allow you to copy the lyrics-say into iTunes.

Basically to save the lyrics-you have to drag into a image editor and save it as a JPG.

No text/iTunes suitable version availablr.

mac4me

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2003
images only

Yep, the record industry is restricting (Gracenote? Yahoo?) to supplying lyrics as images. No text.

Maybe Steve can stop the madness.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Hmm, maybe in the next iPod revision, they'll have a feature that shows song lyrics scrolling across the screen while the music is playing... just a crazy idea...

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
I have to say I don't get this discussion at all. What I think is missing from getting music online, iTunes or otherwise, isn';t a lyric sheet, but liner notes. The information the artist(s) wanted to accompany the work. It's a lost art form in many cases (not all thankfully, lots of artists still do this) but it's integral to the way I always enjoyed/learned about music. It was a place to hear what the artist had to say about the recording. A place to find out what musicians played on what tracks. Often, the back of albums, would 'illustrate' the album with photographs or illustrations that became a part of the experience. And yes, lyrics as well sometimes. Am I just showing my age?:eek:

chasemac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2005
In a house.
Karoake needs timing info too, though--lyrics text is not enough. Although some kind of manual "space bar for next line" system could help.

They could add the white bouncing ball or apple logo feature above the lyrics text to sing along to. I can see it now.:)

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
I have to say I don't get this discussion at all. What I think is missing from getting music online, iTunes or otherwise, isn';t a lyric sheet, but liner notes. The information the artist(s) wanted to accompany the work.
Agreed. Perhaps iTunes can simply attach PDF data to downloads, much like how they attach artwork today. This would allow customers to view or print liner notes (with or without lyrics) as they see fit. And unlike a plain-text download, this will allow all of the artwork and other interesting stuff that albums often contain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.