Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Derwood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Hi there, have just this past week ordered myself a MacBook after months of waiting - although I have to say I'm glad I didn't fork out that £900 at Xmas for an iBook G4! Am looking to start with a simple Garageband set-up and then later shift up to Logic Express/M-Powered and so am considering an M-Audio interface and, more specifically, the pre-mobile usb. Two ins will be fine to start with but what I am concerned about is driver support for this interface within OSX. Anyone know? I've tried trawling the M-Audio site but couldn't find anything.

Obviously, I've got all the anticipation of a new switcher and that of a musician whose looking forward to not having to clean the heads on his creaking old 4-Track for a while. Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: Oh, dear! I've just gone back and had another dig around (post early mornign coffee) and it is quite clear that there are intel drivers for the M-Audio PreMobile USB. Whoops! :eek: Is anyone using this interface and if so how does it rate?

Beni Rose

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2006
Derwood,
I too just made the switch to mac. I got a macbook pro about a week ago. I also have the M-Audio USB Mobile Pre. It's a great interface. I bought it during a deal where you could buy the mobile pre for 150 USD and then send away for a free M-Audio Aries Condensor Mic. The mic is also very great and it was the best deal i've ever gotten. I haven't gotten to use my Mobile Pre on my Mac yet (i tried but didn't have the new universal drivers installed) but it worked great on my old PC laptop (which was pretty crappy) so I can only imagine it will fly with my Mac. The only thing I don't like about it is that the headphone jack is a 1/8" jack and not a 1/4 inch, but it's like that on most "portable interfaces". I'm also recording with a Presonus Firepod, but that may be out of your price range. However, if you have time to save up the money, it's been deemed the best for the buck (600 dollars for an 8 channel interface). Good luck and let me know what you end up getting!

Cheers,
~Beni~

Burrittocaster

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2008
Willybugger-Brooklyn, NYC
I was using my 33 day old M-audio MobilePre w/my ol'G4;

I went over to my new huge iMac, plugged in and read: Preferences Error>
You cannot open M-Audio MobilePre USB preferences because it doesn't work on an intel-based Mac. I bought it from Amazon warehouse,inc refurbished for 60 US, the headphone jack is faulty too. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.