Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mecloud

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2019
12.7 is still affected by this bug ! 12.6.x is not and you need to downgrade via IPSW and Apple configurator !

Another thing is: you had disabled Promotion when you had no external
monitor connected and Promotion enabled while monitor connected… this setting has memory for each setup so this is why you got bricked when there was external monitor and you did restart !
The point about the Displays settings “remembering” each setup does a lot to explain one aspect of the issues I’ve seen.

Does “backtracking“ with IPSW and Apple Configurator put the firmware back at the older version? I was under the impression that Mac firmware updates are somehow unreversable, if I’m mistaken in that understanding it would be good to know.

Reactions: julesme

Lazyass0

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2020
The point about the Displays settings “remembering” each setup does a lot to explain one aspect of the issues I’ve seen.

Does “backtracking“ with IPSW and Apple Configurator put the firmware back at the older version? I was under the impression that Mac firmware updates are somehow unreversable, if I’m mistaken in that understanding it would be good to know.
Yes, if you use "softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 13.5" it will download Latest FW available so broken Sonoma one !

If you download IPSW and do restore via DFU it will install FW which came with release !

Problem is that normal update in MacOS will also install current released FW and this FW is problematic ! That means also if you are on 13.1 and do update with "softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 13.2" today it would load Sonoma (Broken) FW !!! (the same would be with any Monterey or Ventura version)

IPSW and DFU is only way to revert FW to pre-Sonoma one ;)

https://github.com/AsahiLinux/docs/wiki/macOS-Sonoma-Boot-Failures

What versions are affected?

• macOS Sonoma 14.0+ (not fixed as of 2023-10-31)
  • macOS Ventura 13.6+ (uses 14.0 firmware)
  • macOS Monterey 12.7 (unclear, some reports of 13.6 and some of 14.0 firmware, assume it's affected just in case)
IMPORTANT UPDATE: We have just learned that the standard software update process will always upgrade to the latest firmware version, even when you request a specific macOS version manually. For this reason, ALL macOS upgrades performed after the release of macOS Sonoma are affected, regardless of target version. Installing older versions will silently download Sonoma firmware.

Last edited:
Reactions: mecloud

mecloud

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2019
Yes, if you use "softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 13.5" it will download Latest FW available so broken Sonoma one !

If you download IPSW and do restore via DFU it will install FW which came with release !

Problem is that normal update in MacOS will also install current released FW and this FW is problematic ! That means also if you are on 13.1 and do update with "softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 13.2" today it would load Sonoma (Broken) FW !!! (the same would be with any Monterey or Ventura version)

IPSW and DFU is only way to revert FW to pre-Sonoma one ;)

https://github.com/AsahiLinux/docs/wiki/macOS-Sonoma-Boot-Failures
Very interesting. So if, for example, I bought a refurb or used M1 MacBook Pro that had Sonoma 14.1 installed, I could use DFU and an IPSW file to both install Monterey 12.0.1 and whatever firmware that older OS came with? No more “Special New And Improved Firmware That Bricks”?

Lazyass0

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2020
Very interesting. So if, for example, I bought a refurb or used M1 MacBook Pro that had Sonoma 14.1 installed, I could use DFU and an IPSW file to both install Monterey 12.0.1 and whatever firmware that older OS came with? No more “Special New And Improved Firmware That Bricks”?
I am not sure about that since there is some "minimal OS version" with every Mac present but regarding FW that is true ;) ....

mecloud

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2019
I am not sure about that since there is some "minimal OS version" with every Mac present but regarding FW that is true ;) ....
Yes, I was in this case specifically referring to the Mac OS version that originally shipped with the M1 16-inch MacBook Pro that I bought two years ago.

I did not realize that firmware on the M1/M2 Macs could be backtracked in that way, very glad to hear that.

mecloud

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2019
13.6.2 includes a fix for this problem.

Do you happen to know if the same issue was addressed in Monterey (the OS I first experienced the problem in) and in the Sonoma 14.1.1 release that appeared this afternoon? I can’t seem to find anything similar documented about either of those.

Reactions: Lazyass0

Lazyass0

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2020
And it looks like it could be OS fix and not FW https://social.treehouse.systems/@marcan/111372918275165997
FW did not changed when I updated .... Question still remains why is there no 12.7.2 and is this also fixed in 14.1.1

13.6.1.png
13.6.2.png

TriBruin

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
Do you happen to know if the same issue was addressed in Monterey (the OS I first experienced the problem in) and in the Sonoma 14.1.1 release that appeared this afternoon? I can’t seem to find anything similar documented about either of those.
Based on unofficial posting by an Apple employee, the answer is no, for now, on Monterey and yes for Sonoma. It is a firmware fix both Ventura and Sonoma are getting the updated firmware. Monterey users will get it the next time Apple releases an update to Monterey.

Lazyass0

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2020
Based on unofficial posting by an Apple employee, the answer is no, for now, on Monterey and yes for Sonoma. It is a firmware fix both Ventura and Sonoma are getting the updated firmware. Monterey users will get it the next time Apple releases an update to Monterey.
FW version on 13.6.2 is the same as it was on 13.6 and 13.6.1 ... So maybe it is not FW fix ...

I can confirm that 13.6.2 fixes Promotion bug !

And also What's new for enterprise in macOS Sonoma says nothing about this fix as it does for Ventura !

Lazyass0

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2020
14.1.1 : If you disable Promotion and restart, Promotion would be re-enabled automatically .... (Incorrect behaviour)
13.6.2 : If you disable Promotion and restart, Promotion would stay off .... (Correct behaviour)
14.1.1 : If you have external monitor connected and you disable Promotion for both built-in one and external one and restart, Promotion would stay off for both .... (Correct behaviour)

All about quick fixes .... Total mess !

Reactions: foliovision

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
are you saying that with 14.1.1 you basically have to disable promotion each time your reboot if you don't want to use promotion?

• Wow
Reactions: sporkme

J-Master

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2023
Sorry, if ask this and it has been already answered another way, but:

Is this whole bricking thing fixed by now (on 13.6.2), no matter the settings?

TriBruin

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
Sorry, if ask this and it has been already answered another way, but:

Is this whole bricking thing fixed by now (on 13.6.2), no matter the settings?
Yes. Upgrading to 13.6.2 (or 14.1.1) will fix the problem as it updates the firmware during the upgrade.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Yes. Upgrading to 13.6.2 (or 14.1.1) will fix the problem as it updates the firmware during the upgrade.
Neither 13.6.2 or 14.1.1 contain firmware updates over 13.6.1 or 14.1, but Apple did implement a fix to recovery to allow 13.6.2 to at least not leave the computer blacked out. With luck a more resilient fix will come with 13.6.3 and 14.2.

Reactions: Lazyass0

Supernovaibiza

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2023
This also worked for me, thanks! I did not select an ISPW for step 2 (just right clicked on the device and selected "Revive"), and got a popup that "A software update is required for this device." I selected "Quit and Update," then repeated step 2 without a specific ISPW and it worked.
I can't get mine in to DFU mode it goes to lock mode....ahhhhhh...

Supernovaibiza

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2023
Watching this right now. Apple support didn't work. This looks promising.
my macbook pro 16" M1 wont load DFU mode using any of the methods in the video and goes to lock mode trying to find a solution but drawing blanks up to now...💩 any advise would be handy but next step looks like taking it to genius bar at apple and see if they can revive it. but the fact it wont go into DFU mode is not looking good.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
my macbook pro 16" M1 wont load DFU mode using any of the methods in the video and goes to lock mode trying to find a solution but drawing blanks up to now...💩 any advise would be handy but next step looks like taking it to genius bar at apple and see if they can revive it. but the fact it wont go into DFU mode is not looking good.
This app, DFU blaster, will put the computer into DFU mode without having to get the timing for holding the appropriate keys. You will obviously need a 2nd Mac for this, and connect each of them using a USB-C charge cable, connected to the correct DFU USB-C port on each computer.
twocanoes / DFU Blaster-Public / Downloads — Bitbucket

TriBruin

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
just tried it and doesn't work no DFU mode
Make sure you are using the following:
  • An Apple Silicon for the host machine
  • A USB-C cable NOT a TB3/4 cable. (The standard Apple USB-C cable will work)
  • The cable is plugged in to the correct port on both the host and other computer. For MacBooks, that port is on the left side, closest to the screen.

Lazyass0

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2020
Does Mac OS 13.6.3 fix the problem?
13.6.2 already fixed it... BUT for example 14.1.1 (the same time release) fixed it but not completely, if you set refresh rate from Promotion to other on 14.1.1 and restart computer it will default back to Promotion ... This would not happen on 13.6.2 ...

aronsajan

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
Apple should be held responsible for the buggy firmware release. Lots of time wasted fixing this issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.